Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksbugusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

I am having a 1776 motor being built..I am also having the builder install a spin on oil filter pump.I am trying to find an exhaust system with J TUBES. I dont want heater boxes...I need some suggestions on the exhaust that I should consider...There has too be systems that fits..dont want a stock set up
would love to see some pictures....what supplier?

1972 super convertible..

Thank you sooo much for your help..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/506947294919060
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SPIN ON OIL FILTER PUMP exhaust Reply with quote

Vintage Speed has an option for a spin-on filter, and they are about the best you can buy. Spendy, but worth if.

The better solution would be to ditch the silly spin-on filter, and do a real full flow filter setup. Then you can get the metal oil filter away from the super hot exhaust, have easy filter choices, you are able to add an in line oil cooler, and you won't have sky high oil pressure from the huge oil pump they usually come with.

Now is the time to do it the correct way while its apart.

Brian
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Here's my silly spin-on filter with a Vintage Speed Sport Muffler Part# 155-203-05200

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

A conventional 1 3/8 header with single quiet pack will work/clear. Any of the VW of Mexico style all in 1 headers wont work....
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

I know a lot of people don't want to believe it but a filter pump IS a full flow system. Even VW did it near the end of Type 1 production. And it doesn't require routing hoses around and creating more places for leaks to develop.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I know a lot of people don't want to believe it but a filter pump IS a full flow system. Even VW did it near the end of Type 1 production. And it doesn't require routing hoses around and creating more places for leaks to develop.

The problem is its proximity to the muffler. In traffic it's can heat soak. And on Long Island there's plenty of traffic.
They also have small passages and sharp 90* bends.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
SBD wrote:

The problem is its proximity to the muffler. In traffic it's can heat soak. And on Long Island there's plenty of traffic.

90° bends? Think

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Glenn wrote:
SBD wrote:

90° bends? Think

The passage is much larger than the ones in a filter pump.

Compare the size of the passages in the filter pump to the passage in the case.

The Berg cover has a larger opening and from there its AN-8 hose and returns directly to the case.

And the filter is not between the case and the muffler.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

The engine case itself has nothing but sharp 90* bends.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with "filterpumps" as long as they get a little tlc before installation. Just donīt use that Empi/Bugpack or whatever pump with a built in overpressure valve like the one shown just above. Gears are too large and it will bypass 25% of the oil most of the time. Just donīt use them on engines that see 5500+ rpms on a daily basis.

The heat sok issue was apparently not enough for VWoM & Brazil to consider it a problem, and both have pretty coozy climates.

Personally I would rather have a couple of extra 90 degree bends than run one of those stupid cast iron Berg pump covers that crack all the time.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Personally I would rather have a couple of extra 90 degree bends than run one of those stupid cast iron Berg pump covers that crack all the time.

Weird, mine is 25 years old and isn't cracked.

And the factory did many compromises over performance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

I have replaced probably 20 of those in my time. All cracked in one place or the other.
If you want a pump plate that will live forever almost no matter the enviroment, use some UHB11 steel or maybe Rigor.
Sprayed cast iron is dirt cheap, but it has the wrong expansion rate compared to magnesium/aluminium and it gets brittle over time
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

My 1970 sedan (below) with 1600cc DP engine and CB Performance Maxi2 pump/filter. My 1971 Convertible with 1835cc DP engine has same set up though (since early 1980s)

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

The CB filter pump works great, most of the problems are mental.
The design of the cover plate is superior to most because it is stiff and stable over the high pressure side of the pump.
Although we do share some concerns the passages are restrictive....I suspect that the filter usually has a air bubble in it and that may help to dampen pressure pulsations.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The design of the cover plate is superior to most

Except when you try to put the pulley tin on and it rubs against the pulley.

Everyone i've installed required some of the cover to be ground off.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My 1970 sedan (below) with 1600cc DP engine and CB Performance Maxi2 pump/filter. My 1971 Convertible with 1835cc DP engine has same set up though (since early 1980s)

We all know your care is a unicorn and it defies all the laws of physics Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
We all know your car is a unicorn and it defies all the laws of physics Wink

You're making reference to the 1971 convertible with the thin wall 1835cc DP engine, external oil cooler, single 40DCNF, vintage German 009, vintage Claude's Buggies Maxi2 !

The 1970 hasn't had that 1845cc engine it it and running since 1993, then it sat 23 years, and now has the rebuilt 1600cc DP engine that was originally in the '71 convertible. So that one is pretty much stock (for a 1971 engine) except for the Maxi2, vintage German 009, Brazilian Solex 30/31 PICT, and exhaust.

Both use lid stand-offs.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

My CB Maxi-2 filter pump had around 10 mm oil channels in it when I got it. I ran a 7/16" drill the length of the ports to clean them up, which is close to 11 mm. There is plenty of metal to do this. I also put a slight radius at the 90 degree turns near the gears. The engine case oil ports are 10mm, so I am not worried about it being a restriction. I would worry more about oil hoses with clamps coming loose, or getting burnt. Also the air from the sled tins is blowing over the filter on its way to the exhaust, so I don't believe that the exhaust is going to heat up any oil. The oil temp I believe would also be higher ( when hot ) than the air coming off of the cylinders.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I have replaced probably 20 of those in my time. All cracked in one place or the other.
If you want a pump plate that will live forever almost no matter the enviroment, use some UHB11 steel or maybe Rigor.
Sprayed cast iron is dirt cheap, but it has the wrong expansion rate compared to magnesium/aluminium and it gets brittle over time
Agreed. Many miles and no problems here with a CB Performance Maxi Pump, or whatever they're called. Oil pressure is good, and not too high. Plus it fits excellent with the 49 state fuel injection exhaust... not sure I'd use it with the Cali Cat. exhaust.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spin on Oil Filter Pump exhaust Reply with quote

Maybe me being ocd, but anytime I run oil lines close to exhaust I use heat sleeves on the lines and heat shield armor on the exhaust pipe on the side that's radiating heat on the oil. I'd likely have heat sheild armor around the area of the filter just to keep unnecessary heat from working it's way into the oil filter. Those unfamiliar with it, it's not a full wrap that destroys your pipes, only requires 3/4 wrap secured with metal zip ties or hose clamps. I used it in certain areas on my sidewinder near full flow lines and towards my bus rear apron just to keep radiant heat from absorbing into the engine bay through the tins and panel where it's close enough to burn paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: