Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A 1975 Brazilian splitty, imported from Germany to Australia. I'm trying to find replacement parts, but can't find an identifying number on the engine at all (the usual place between the crank and the alternator is clean).

There is a plate behind the drive side (it's LHD) that has the numbers 0000228801 stamped on it, but no other information.

Right now I want to replace the ignition system (spark plug leads, new coil, and electric distributor), but I'm not sure what size / age the engine is.

Did the 1975 Brazilian splitty use the same motor as the 1967 / 68 splits? The oil bath air cleaner makes me think it may do? But it strikes me as possible that they may have used newer motors from the newer model bays at that time as well?

Thanks for any advice, links or guidance!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Welcome!, and congratulations on your new bus!

Luckily it doesn't matter much what the engine is as long as it's type 1 (which yours is), it's what carb and distributor that's installed on it that determines what tune up parts and settings it needs. Post the numbers off those and someone can recommend the correct parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Awesome, that's great news

Would love to know the capacity though. Might have to crack the heads one day and measure the cylinders just to be sure!

The carb says SOLEX H-30-PIC(S)

The distributor I think says
JUR 4
9 230 081 013 (might be 9 2*8*0 081013 though)
ND Brasileira

Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

I should mention that I am looking at increasing performance of the system over time (not just replacing like for like).

I have a lot of research to do (and this forum is a pretty amazing source). For now it would be good to replace the entire ignition system with the petronix igniter / flame thrower 3 system:
http://www.pertronix.com.au/ignitor3.html

I'm trying to find a full kit with a completely new distributor, coil, leads and plugs (so i don't accidentally mismatch something), but it's not as easy to find one that is in stock!

So without a full kit, these are the parts I think will work together:
Coil (out of stock):
https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/product/vie...ategory/2/

Distributor (out of stock):

Leads:
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Managed to find a set from Micks Motors:
https://www.mickmotors.com.au/contactus.aspx

They didn't have the full distributor in stock but were able to provide a new SVDA that would fit the Ignitor 3, so I went down this path. Won't be as pretty as the billet aluminum though!
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Found the identification plate! Chassis number is BH391395.

I’m struggling to find a chassis number lookup for Brazilian’s though.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Being that it’s a Brazilian model, & that there are no provisions for heat on the engine (fresh air ports on the shroud, blocked off tin where the tubes would connect to the heat exchangers), does the bus have any of the other heater ducting underneath?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

I’ll have to double check tomorrow, I’m not sure. I did notice the lack of the fan tubes, but the shroud doesn’t look modified (looks like those sections have always been blocked off). I’ll take a pic underneath tomorrow to show what’s there.
I also noticed that the heat risers / thin metal tubes under the intake manifold are also not connected to anything. I think they’re supposed to carry exhaust to the intake manifold? They don’t appear to, and it didn’t like running cold this morning.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Looks like you are missing important pieces of the cooling tin, and sounds like non-stock muffler. Do post up under the engine images, especially showing the muffler and rear end of the engine.

As long as the stock parts are working use them. Putting in a new coil or other ignition parts will not add even 1/4 of a HP. Plus all too often the new parts are JUNK.

If you are really interested in increasing performance build a new engine, and keep the present one stock for backup.
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Ok!
Left side exhaust

Right side exhaust

Closer shot of the bottom of the exhaust risers. Looks like something should bolt to here?

And a couple of oil leaks. I haven’t investigated further but if anything looks obvious as a place to investigate please let me know!

Thanks!
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Sorry to disagree with you Eric, but the bus ran noticeably better with the pertronix!

I did a video of the conversion process in case any one new to kombis is interested. There’s a before and after test drive that shows a 10 to 15% improvement:

Link

I noticed when pulling the spark plugs that cylinder 2 and 4 (closest to the rear of the bus) are running rich, while 1 and 3 are running lean. Is that normal? Not sure I can see any way to adjust it…
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Bucko2 wrote:
Sorry to disagree with you Eric, but the bus ran noticeably better with the pertronix!

No need to be sorry. It could be your old ignition parts had one or more going bad, or needed maintenance. Just do be careful there is a lot of junk being sold today and "Heavy Duty" or "High HP" that are junk parts that can actually ruin an engine.

Do keep your old points and condenser or a second Pertronixs module, so you do not get stuck on the side of the road when the module you have fails.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Do get a a good used set of VW of German heat exchangers ASAP. Avoid the repro Dansk HEs like the plague, do a little research on the differences.

With that you will need the rear tin for the fresh air heating and fan shroud. Good time to upgrade to stock dog house shroud with the DH tins and front engine tin. With that the larger crank pulley and wider fan for Dog House cooling system.

You might upgrade to the smaller diameter 911/356 Porsche gen/alt pulley for more fan RPMs to pump more cooling air over the engine.

Also get a stock OEM bus muffler or one of the better repro stock style mufflers.

You are missing the lower rear cylinder L & R tins. Would not drive it without those.

The wiring near the starter is a mess. Need to solder and heat shrink to get rid of that wiring nut that is not acceptable at all.

Missing the valve rubber boot on the downdraft tube coming down from the oil filler. That boot keeps dirty air under the VW from being sucked up into the interior of the engine.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Looks lie a dusty conditions air cleaner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Stock engine tin is the best for fit and thusly cool the engine better. Here is a thread about the rear lower cylinder tins:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6016781&highlight=#6016781

There are several versions of these tins. The early ones are not as long, so will not fit the 1500/1600 later engines. Others are different due to air cleaner pre-heat or the change in the downdraft tube in the early 1970s.

Does the heavy duty stock VW air cleaner have the 25mm connection or the later 50mm for the preheat hose?? Are those cracks in the rubber hose to the air cleaner?? If so replace soonest to avoid sucking in dirt that will ruin your pistons/rings/cylinders.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

get a a good used set of VW of German heat exchangers ASAP

do the Brazilian buses use heater boxes? I wouldnt think so with no heater log no tube, no front defrost
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

do the Brazilian buses use heater boxes? I wouldnt think so with no heater log no tube, no front defrost

Just checked the Brazilian bus owners manuals. Up till at least 1973 they did have heat and the fresh air tubes from fan shroud to HEs. Later in the 1974 OM no fresh air tubes on some of the images and some have the tubes. While the front interior diagram image has heater control hand drawn on it. Weird!

Even if there is no heater tube from back to front we would install HEs. Then easy to at least run pipes thru the back seat area for heat. Been as far South as the center of Texas doing my three years there in the USAF, and even in June mornings got COLD. Fall & Winter temps below freezing for long periods. Having no heat in those conditions is just no fun.

Bucko2, would you please post interior images up front? Up under where the starter is would be helpful also.
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Bucko2 wrote:

No need to be sorry. It could be your old ignition parts had one or more going bad, or needed maintenance. Just do be careful there is a lot of junk being sold today and "Heavy Duty" or "High HP" that are junk parts that can actually ruin an engine.

Do keep your old points and condenser or a second Pertronixs module, so you do not get stuck on the side of the road when the module you have fails.

Will do! I’ve read this isn’t unusual
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Just checked the Brazilian bus owners manuals. Up till at least 1973 they did have heat and the fresh air tubes from fan shroud to HEs. Later in the 1974 OM no fresh air tubes on some of the images and some have the tubes. While the front interior diagram image has heater control hand drawn on it. Weird!

Even if there is no heater tube from back to front we would install HEs. Then easy to at least run pipes thru the back seat area for heat. Been as far South as the center of Texas doing my three years there in the USAF, and even in June mornings got COLD. Fall & Winter temps below freezing for long periods. Having no heat in those conditions is just no fun.

Bucko2, would you please post interior images up front? Up under where the starter is would be helpful also.

Will grab some images tomorrow. Do you know where I can get a copy of the Brazilian bus owners manual? Would be keen on a shop / chassis / mechanics manual too if they’re available.

I don’t know what HEs are… are they heater elements?
Heater box, heater tube, heater log… I have some research to do to learn more!
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Do get a a good used set of VW of German heat exchangers ASAP. Avoid the repro Dansk HEs like the plague, do a little research on the differences.

With that you will need the rear tin for the fresh air heating and fan shroud. Good time to upgrade to stock dog house shroud with the DH tins and front engine tin. With that the larger crank pulley and wider fan for Dog House cooling system.

You might upgrade to the smaller diameter 911/356 Porsche gen/alt pulley for more fan RPMs to pump more cooling air over the engine.

Also get a stock OEM bus muffler or one of the better repro stock style mufflers.

You are missing the lower rear cylinder L & R tins. Would not drive it without those.

The wiring near the starter is a mess. Need to solder and heat shrink to get rid of that wiring nut that is not acceptable at all.

Missing the valve rubber boot on the downdraft tube coming down from the oil filler. That boot keeps dirty air under the VW from being sucked up into the interior of the engine.

Ah! HE = heat exchanger.
Rear tins, DH tins, front engine tins… all things I’ve never heard of before. More research to do, thanks guys! And thanks for the advice on what to look for / replace. I genuinely appreciate the guidance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: