Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've finished my motor-bicycle.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

May 22, 2023

I've finished my rear-engine, rear wheel drive, air-cooled motor-bicycle. Of course. Smile

I've put on about 100 miles so far tweaking out the kinks. It's runs great. I can idled around at 7-8 mph yet easily travel at my legal maximum speed of 20 mph. In Illinois a Class 2 electric or gas-powered motor-bicycle is limited to under 750 watts or 1 hp with a maximum speed of 20 mph.

I wanted several features. I wanted to be able to pedal-start the motor. Should I meet up with a crowd and want my motor off or my pull-cord breaks I can pedal, flip the start switch, push the pedal-start lever/clutch and it'll fire right up.

I wanted a belt drive. The belt from the engine to the jack-shaft is a Beetle belt. The belt from the jack-shaft to the rear wheel pulley I purchased. Wanting manual and pedal-start clutches precluded me from centrifugal clutches, chain or gear drives.

I also wanted to be able to quickly remove the motor assembly on the road should I get a rear flat. Nothing is brazed to the bike frame. Nothing needs to be adjusted when removing the assembly. All that is needed is 7/16" wrench to remove four 1/4-20 nuts and washers.

The whole motor assembly weighs about 30-35 lbs. Me and the motor-bike weigh about 280 lbs. I'm still tinkering with it to make it as comfortable, safe, practical, dependable as cheaply as possible. I'm currently working on a homemade twist throttle.

No registration/title, no driver's license, no plates, no insurance is required. Yet, I have legal right-of-way on most roads. When they take away my license or keys and if I can still get on, balance and find my way home, it will be on my air-cooled putt-putt roaming the streets and roads. I'll let my younger brothers sit in their comfy-chairs and watch Maury all day. Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

You do know they make electric bikes these days.

And as far as " I have legal right-of-way on most roads", let me know how that works for you. I'm a cyclist and drive 4000-6000 miles a year and can tell you, when you're on 2 wheels, you become invisible.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Electric bikes are smug and bad
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

I have two.

The motor-bicycle is brilliant! The airbag is inspired!
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

My buddy had one of this motor kits that used the spokes to connect to the drive of the motor. Worked, until it ripped the center out of the wheel and threw him on the ground. He was told you cant use it on low quality China wheels.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Glenn:

"You do know they make electric bikes these days.

And as far as " I have legal right-of-way on most roads", let me know how that works for you. I'm a cyclist and drive 4000-6000 miles a year and can tell you, when you're on 2 wheels, you become invisible."

I know what you mean. I humbly travel the slower roads when possible keeping to the right. I only claim the lane when I'm at a stop-light or making a left-hand turn. The County here won't allow Class 2 or 3 electric motor-bikes on the bike trails and no gas-powered at all. They do allow Class 1 e-bikes which has basically the same power and speed restrictions as Class 2. It would make life safer and easier for me if I could use the bike trails.

My goal is to travel the back roads to my brother's house and back in a day. A 65-70 mile round trip. Electric bike? Well, when my gas-powered motor-bike runs out of juice I simply reach into my bag and pull out my quart of gas and keep going.

Abscate:

"Electric bikes are smug and bad"

I wouldn't say 'bad', let's say, 'inappropriate'. Laughing

NJ John:

"Worked, until it ripped the center out of the wheel and threw him on the ground."

Not good. Sure hope mine doesn't. Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
I have two.

The motor-bicycle is brilliant! The airbag is inspired!

If everyone gets these the power grid will have to triple

#RandomProfessorQuotedatDunningKGraduation
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Mine has 65 mile range. Longer if no hills: they don't have regenerative braking. I used it for a week on Key Largo. after 70 miles it still had 30% battery left. I did help out peddling.

https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-step-thru-black-long-range

They also have one with 100 miles range.

You can swap batteries if you want to buy a spare. They charge anywhere in a couple hours where there's a 110v outlet.

They tip the scales at about 65 lbs.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

What size engine do you have.

In Oklahoma anything over 50cc requires a tag & drivers licenses.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

goober wrote:
when my gas-powered motor-bike runs out of juice I simply reach into my bag and pull out my quart of gas and keep going.

You know it has pedals...

BTW, i never run out of juice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Knice Knees.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Glen, that’s why the bug sits. Park the bike, drive the bug, post pics!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
goober wrote:
when my gas-powered motor-bike runs out of juice I simply reach into my bag and pull out my quart of gas and keep going.

You know it has pedals...

BTW, i never run out of juice.

I admire your cajones for biking in LI. I’m terrified driving in my 2 tons of Swedish steel tank, here.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

eyes at eye-level, scate...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

Interesting.

Is the 20mph at all times?

This would be annoying for me on my regular bike, I go over 20mph riding around normally.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

vwracerdave:

"What size engine do you have.

In Oklahoma anything over 50cc requires a tag & drivers licenses."

Same here with 50cc or more. It's a 30cc, .7kw (700 watt) 4 cycle weed-wacker, trimmer, blower replacement motor. It had no base motor mount just 4 screws intended for side mounting for a centrifugal clutch outer assembly. The flywheel only had centrifugal weights/shoes mounted to it. I couldn't even start or test it until I made the motor mount and the horizontal shaft/pulley.

EverettB:

"Interesting.

Is the 20mph at all times?

This would be annoying for me on my regular bike, I go over 20mph riding around normally."

Yes. In Illinois Class 1 and 2 e-bikes and gas driven motor-bikes are limited to a max of 20 mph. Class 3 e-bikes are allowed a max of 28 mph. This is a state-wide law. But local communities and governing bodies are allowed to set their own rules, regulations and limitations. I can basically go anywhere a bicycle can go except on a sidewalk. But in my County they won't let me on the bike trails with a gas-driven motor-bike.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Mine has 65 mile range. Longer if no hills: they don't have regenerative braking. I used it for a week on Key Largo. after 70 miles it still had 30% battery left. I did help out peddling.

Holy crap man! That's better range than your Leaf!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I can basically go anywhere a bicycle can go except on a sidewalk. But in my County they won't let me on the bike trails with a gas-driven motor-bike.

I know it's the law but thank you for not riding it on the bike or multi-use trails. I see people riding motorized vehicles (electric too) on paved trails sometimes and it's annoying but honestly it's more because they drive like crap and act dangerously, more so than non-motorized vehicles.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
goober wrote:
I can basically go anywhere a bicycle can go except on a sidewalk. But in my County they won't let me on the bike trails with a gas-driven motor-bike.

I know it's the law but thank you for not riding it on the bike or multi-use trails. I see people riding motorized vehicles (electric too) on paved trails sometimes and it's annoying but honestly it's more because they drive like crap and act dangerously, more so than non-motorized vehicles.

Recently the put up signs that electric powered bikes/scooters/skateboards are not allowed. Last week they were stopping people, giving tickets and seizing vehicles of people that did not have ID.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: I've finished my motor-bicycle. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
steve244 wrote:

Holy crap man! That's better range than your Leaf!

Not if I push it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: