Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

From carbs to fuel injection
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

I see a lot of topics about fuel injection in search history, and can see it's a hot topic with varied opinions. I'm expecting to get flamed a little. but I would like to head down this path. I just can't see many topics on the actual conversion process.

I saw one which was a CIS (continuous injection system) conversion, but the pics aren't available any more, so it was hard to follow exactly what was done.

I like the sound of it - a step up from carbs, and just using airflow to meter out fuel. Simple. But also well superseded by modern programmable EFI.

Could anyone point me at how-to and past projects, or recommend a particular vendor / kit? I get the feeling there isn't anything "off the shelf", so expect I may need fabricate some things myself - like plenums and manifolds?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

Looking into the megasquirt, which looks like a reasonable way to go. There’s a good guide here:
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/carb-to-efi/part1/

The problem is it won’t work with the Pertronix 3 I just ordered (the multi spark feature of the Pertronix 3 confuses the megasquirt)…. Apparently it works with Pertronix 1 and 2 though. Shame to lose the multi spark though.

I might hold off, get the Pertronix running, then reassess if I’m unhappy with performance.

I think the SVDA distributor I just ordered may also be inappropriate if I move away from a single carb / throttle body (I was contemplating doing injection at the intakes).

Sooo… will pause for the moment, get it running and registered with pertronix 3, then revisit this in the future
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

You might take a look at this: https://www.holley.com/blog/post/adapting_a_sniper_efi_system_to_a_vintage_volkswagen/. I tired it on my bus, but it wasn't a good fit for me, only because I don't have experience tuning with a computer.
Also, I go on some long road trips, having an spare carb, fuel pump etc, or a friend with one when you need it, keeps things simple, and the bus wheels turning.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

Im getting ready to install the sniper kit on my single cab.

Did you send it to Eric to get it “tuned” or did you try to do it yourself?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

I've considered this for years. Driven type 4 engined buses, but always thought an FI type 1 would be a good upgrade. Like my very stock 69doublecab that I lived with for 15 years.
I've come to believe the MEXICAN setup might be a good starting point. Just a turn key Mexican beetle engine would be sweet.
Not sure it would have he ease of modifying that a HOLLEY or other aftermarket brand might have, tho.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bucko2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

I saw the Holley conversion, that was useful info and confirmed for intake injection (essentially the fuel injection equivalent of twin carbs), you need to do some machining / fabricate some plenums for it.

I’m still interested. A bit bummed the pertonix is a bad trigger for it… but I suppose I could setup a different trigger with a sensor and magnet on the front pulley or flywheel or something.

Ultimately the megasquirt or Holley would control the timing as well, I suppose. So the pertronix becomes a bit unnecessary if you go that far
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of air cooled fuel injected VW engines. I've done retrofits using complete late 70's fuel injected bug setups as well as ground up megasquirt systems and even combinations of the two. The oft misunderstood VW fuel injection system is extremely reliable and easy to work with if you take the time to understand how it all works. I've done lots of hacking of the stock ECUs as well.

There's a pretty steep learning curve if you go the megasquirt route. Retrofitting a bug FI setup is an easy place to start.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
Im getting ready to install the sniper kit on my single cab.

Did you send it to Eric to get it “tuned” or did you try to do it yourself?

Yes, I did send it to Eric, and bought the parts they supply. Usually, they were a little hard to get help from them and questions answered.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

Shouldnt it “learn” as you drive. Did you feel like you actually had to mess with the tuning tables?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: From carbs to fuel injection Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
Shouldnt it “learn” as you drive. Did you feel like you actually had to mess with the tuning tables?

Exactly. I thought it would "learn" also, but was told by Red, that I should be down loading some files that would improve the tuning I just didn't understand how that was done. The engine actually died a couple of times also while out driving. For someone that is more familiar with computer tuning, this may not be a problem at all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: