Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40mm drums on 30mm backing plates
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Hello
I have a 1960 bug, September (1961 model)

After bodywork and paint, it cam down to the running gear.

In the back, I went for the 40mm drums with 40mm shoes. all new.

I am trying my best but I cannot simply make it work. The shoes and everything there seem to push too much out and into the new drums, locking the drum before I can even tighten the castle nut.

is there a 40mm rear backing plate for 5x205 setup?

How is the conversion possible? I am out of options here...

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

You need the correct bearing 'cap' and spacer setup. That's what creates the proper clearance for the various brake shoe widths.
keep in mind it's ALL a package deal when getting brakes to work properly.
17mm vs 19mm master cylinder, wheel cylinders too.
Just increasing the friction surface on the shoe means less force per area for the same brake pedal pressure.
I'll admit *most of the time* it works out fine and you'd hardly know the difference, but if it ends up having weak or odd braking it can come down to mixed up parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Thank you!
I will try to source everything from a late beetle.
I did have/still have issues with the gearbox oil coming out from the small o-ring.. so maybe your assertion is right.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

You need the later backing plates, wheel cylinders, adjusters, and brake hardware kit. That will let you assemble late model 40mm wide rear brakes on your early Bug but you will run into another problem. You are going to need drums that will fit. The original ‘58-‘64 drums with the smooth hub center (like the front drums) are too narrow for the wider shoes.

Late 4 lug drums have the needed inside width but the splines are too long. They can be made to work if you have a machine shop shorten the snout (I think by 15mm). You can get a set of ‘65-‘67 rear drums (6mm wider) and then have a shop turn them slightly to maximize braking surface. They have the available space to fit 40mm brakes shoes with help.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Yes, just been through this,68 and later backing plates, with 65-67 drums with slight modifications, or thing drums. I think you can also use type 3 rear stuff, but it is hard to find and $$$.

Bub wrote:
You need the correct bearing 'cap' and spacer setup. That's what creates the proper clearance for the various brake shoe widths.

Bub, I think you are mistaken. The cap retains the bearing, and secures the backing plate to the axle tube. As far as I know the spacers are all the same for a t1 swingaxle, so changing them or the caps won't change the position of the drum or backing plate. Additionally, not all bearing caps are interchangeable. 67 and 68 are both "long axle" housings, but the bearing depth in the cap is different, so they are not interchangeable. 67 caps stay with 67 tubes, and 68 caps with 68 tubes. You can cha ge short axle caps, but only late caps have the weep hole to match the weep hole on late backing plates.
LOTSA FUN, swapping brakes around Rolling Eyes
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

I will add pictures later today.
on the left side I was able to put everything back, only have the issue with leaking small O-ring. I guess I can add some spacer on the central part that squeeze the O-ring and test.

The sad part is that new drums are already oval from new! never thought I'd see that, but this is the only way of having the wheel turn ok, then lock up a bit, then loose again, repeat.

The drums are the later type 40mm, but with 40mm. they have that " flower" in the middle.

a desperate measure would be to scavenge the rear drums from my 58 ragtop and use all with 30mm shoes. but, I wanted new drums, that is why I purchased them...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
I will add pictures later today.
on the left side I was able to put everything back, only have the issue with leaking small O-ring. I guess I can add some spacer on the central part that squeeze the O-ring and test.

The sad part is that new drums are already oval from new! never thought I'd see that, but this is the only way of having the wheel turn ok, then lock up a bit, then loose again, repeat.

The drums are the later type 40mm, but with 40mm. they have that " flower" in the middle.

a desperate measure would be to scavenge the rear drums from my 58 ragtop and use all with 30mm shoes. but, I wanted new drums, that is why I purchased them...

I've had to turn plenty of new drums, it would be nice off they made them round the first time, right?
30mm shoes won't work with 40mm backing plates, as the adjuster mount is different. It's farther out towards the wheel (because of the wider shoes) and if you try it, the shoes will be cocked at a funny angle. So, you need early backing plates to use early drums.
Should only cost a few bucks to turn those drums, might be the straightest way out of your pickle
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Yes, just been through this,68 and later backing plates, with 65-67 drums with slight modifications, or thing drums. I think you can also use type 3 rear stuff, but it is hard to find and $$$.

Bub wrote:

Bub, I think you are mistaken. The cap retains the bearing, and secures the backing plate to the axle tube. As far as I know the spacers are all the same for a t1 swingaxle, so changing them or the caps won't change the position of the drum or backing plate. Additionally, not all bearing caps are interchangeable. 67 and 68 are both "long axle" housings, but the bearing depth in the cap is different, so they are not interchangeable. 67 caps stay with 67 tubes, and 68 caps with 68 tubes. You can cha ge short axle caps, but only late caps have the weep hole to match the weep hole on late backing plates.
LOTSA FUN, swapping brakes around Rolling Eyes

There are a couple different thicknesses' of spacers - and between split case, tunnel and IRS. The right (meaning one that eventually works, but is totally wrong) combo is of random parts that made up just under 10mm difference if put together in a lucky way. I found this out on my 54' that came with what seems like ONE each of a variety of spacers and caps, but no pair that matched. I think it involves putting that thinner spacer that goes *behind* the backing plate and bearing on swing axles in the wrong place.

I initially has a similar problem as my 'bug in a bucket' came with front shoes installed at both ends, which is what they did for a couple years?lol. I *think* I got it to work with late/ 311 caps, spacers and I think drums from a 63'. It was a temporary thing, and starting from scratch later on was the only way I sort it.
I can't say which spacers is from which year, not nearly enough brain cells left for that, but I have several thicknesses' -I still have that box of parts and I think I have 5 or 6 very different rear wheel cylinders all with the same part#.
You're right...not a fun puzzle.
Definitely best to assemble the thing with the right parts, I am always making huge problems for myself by sifting through piles of random junk with the "I can make this work" attitude. My skills will be very valuable after the apocalypse.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Think about the loaded brake backing plate all by itself. If the backing plate was made for 40mm wide shoes the centerline of the bore the brake adjusters fit into is 20mm out from the shoe resting stops on the backing plate. If the backing plate was made for 30mm wide shoes the centerline of that bore will be 15mm out from the shoe resting stops. So, 40mm wide rear brake shoes require 1968 and newer rear backing plates.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Quote:
Think about the loaded brake backing plate all by itself.

I often wonder about the owners that want to just change a 17mm to a 19mm wheel cylinder and then want to install wider brake shoes. (what about the adjusters?) When I put these on my rear axle my 'fitment' with the brake shoes and drum problems were over. To bad they are sold out. They weren't that expensive when I got mine but I'd get them again because of how it's what fixed my issues. Crying or Very sad

https://www2.cip1.com/c31-501-615-211ag/
VW Wiring = It's just wires
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Well, this is why I still love this forum.
Lots of valuable info that doesn't get lost like on fb and other social media crap.

the backing plates I have are clearly early 30mm type.
I would guess the adjusters are 5mm to the inside than on 40mm backing plates.

I will try to source some later backing plates and test.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

None of those parts match.
Those backing plates only have two SPOTS for the shoes to rest against, thus need the slave cylinder and abutment screws to have narrow grooves to hold the shoes in place.

If you use WIDE grooves then you need the backing plates to have the 6 pads for the edges of the shoes to rest against.

OR

If using that slave cylinder ON that backing palate it would be necessary to weld up the edges of the brake shoes and make them wider so they properly center in the wider grooves.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

modok wrote:
None of those parts match.
Those backing plates only have two SPOTS for the shoes to rest against, thus need the slave cylinder and abutment screws to have narrow grooves to hold the shoes in place.

If you use WIDE grooves then you need the backing plates to have the 6 pads for the edges of the shoes to rest against.

OR

If using that slave cylinder ON that backing palate it would be necessary to weld up the edges of the brake shoes and make them wider so they properly center in the wider grooves.

So long as you have the narrow slot adjusters to hold the shoes level it seems to work. Though I don't like it I'm running wide slot wheel cylinders with my '64 brakes.

I do now have a nice set of '65 only Bug front backing plates so next time I could swap. It also looks like once again Wolfsburg West is selling the correct narrow slot wheel cylinders, at least they now have separate listings for '58-'64 and '65-'67 (though they still list the rear hardware kit as '58-'77 but the hold down hardware won't work for 2 different shoe widths). When I last rebuilt my brakes in 2019 even WW didn't actually have narrow slot wheel cylinders. (For many years there were also no new '58-'64 oil slingers available.)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
When I put these on my rear axle my 'fitment' with the brake shoes and drum problems were over. To bad they are sold out. They weren't that expensive when I got mine but I'd get them again because of how it's what fixed my issues. Crying or Very sad

Looks like regular early type II rear drums that had the nose cut down (which is what CIP1 is selling).

Early drums are still available

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-501-615-a/
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
runamoc wrote:
When I put these on my rear axle my 'fitment' with the brake shoes and drum problems were over. To bad they are sold out. They weren't that expensive when I got mine but I'd get them again because of how it's what fixed my issues. Crying or Very sad

Looks like regular early type II rear drums that had the nose cut down (which is what CIP1 is selling).

Early drums are still available

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-501-615-a/

I tried early drums. Just a little to tight on the width. Already had an extra oil seal spacer on the 'outside' of the drum to keep the axle nut from bottoming out (stock IRS stub axles) I even tried grinding some on the inner side of the drum for more space. A little off of the shoe edge. Thought they were turned down bus drums. If I had this problem again I would buy the bus drums and have my machinist turn them down, if they were in stock. Cool
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
I tried early drums. Just a little to tight on the width. Already had an extra oil seal spacer on the 'outside' of the drum to keep the axle nut from bottoming out (stock IRS stub axles) I even tried grinding some on the inner side of the drum for more space.

The cut down -63 bus drums worked for me on my 70 vert. The easiest fix for IRS stub is Type 181 Thing drums
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Quote:
easiest fix for IRS stub is Type 181 Thing drums

Good tip, cheaper that modified bus drums and in stock at...

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-181-501-615/
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
runamoc wrote:
I tried early drums. Just a little to tight on the width. Already had an extra oil seal spacer on the 'outside' of the drum to keep the axle nut from bottoming out (stock IRS stub axles) I even tried grinding some on the inner side of the drum for more space.

The cut down -63 bus drums worked for me on my 70 vert. The easiest fix for IRS stub is Type 181 Thing drums

Don't the early bus drums also need the inner lip trimmed? I discussed doing this with someone recently, and they mentioned a lip on the drum that would hit the backing plate
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Don't the early bus drums also need the inner lip trimmed? I discussed doing this with someone recently, and they mentioned a lip on the drum that would hit the backing plate

Not sure if they trimmed that lip, I told the old man what I was doing and he brought two machined 'adapter' drums the buggy guys used to use. $150 was cheap for modified NOS german drums. I might still have the drums in storage, Ill have to dig them out with some stock units and take a look.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 40mm drums on 30mm backing plates Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't the early bus drums also need the inner lip trimmed?

Didn't trim the inner lips on mine..Plug and Play Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: