Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dumb hub cap question but before I damage something....
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

About to install new (aftermarket) hub caps on what I am pretty sure are original VW wheels although maybe not original to our 1974 KG Coupe. The wheels do have VW stamps on them.

What’s the best way to install the hub caps without damaging them? Should I start with a rubber mallet…

Yeah, I know. dumb question, but knowing me, I will dent those new hub caps...

Thanks,
Matt
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

Aftermarket hub caps are flimsy. Best to install them by hand pressing or bumping on the outer edges only.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

Get it fitted on the wheel, and then a firm bump with the base of your palm on the rim will snap it on. Don't use a mallet, you'll more than likely dent them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

So how hard do I need to hit these things?

I bought:

C13-10-1060-W - (251-601-151A 251601151A) EXCELLENT QUALITY - STAINLESS STEEL HUBCAP - WITH HIGHLY POLISHED CHROME-LIKE FINISH - MOON STYLE WITH LOGO - 4 BOLT WHEEL - BEETLE 68-79 - GHIA 66-74

They are pretty tough. I smacked them pretty good with my hand and got nowhere. Do I escalate the level of violence? Shocked
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

OP again. Found the old hubcaps and compared the inner diameter to the new ones. Pretty close. So I took another crack at installing them. Was able to install two. The other two withstood a lot of hand smacking to include putting a couple of dents in one. I was able to fix the dents but am I doing something wrong?

Being aftermarket, and not perfect, should I grind the nubs on the wheels down a little...?

And got the hood installed so a gratuitous photo...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

If you're denting them, you're hitting too far to the center. Only hit the very edge of the rim.
Those look like the aftermarket domed hubcaps for 4-lug. I installed those on the 67 I used to own, although I went cheap and didn't get the ones with the logo. I think they look better than the OEM late flat ones
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're denting them, you're hitting too far to the center. Only hit the very edge of the rim.

Okay. Makes sense. I'll try again when I get back to the car in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately. But they are pretty tough. I was hitting very close to the edge.... Or maybe the painted wheels have too much paint...?
Quote:
Those look like the aftermarket domed hubcaps for 4-lug. I installed those on the 67 I used to own, although I went cheap and didn't get the ones with the logo. I think they look better than the OEM late flat ones.

Those are good looking wheels / hub caps on your car.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: dumb hub cap question but before I damage something.... Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:

Quote:
Those look like the aftermarket domed hubcaps for 4-lug. I installed those on the 67 I used to own, although I went cheap and didn't get the ones with the logo. I think they look better than the OEM late flat ones.

Those are good looking wheels / hub caps on your car.

Thanks, they were just the factory 4.5" wide black painted steelies with beauty rings and hubcaps. Can't go wrong with stock Cool
Sadly this car looks nothing like this now. It was mostly original with loads of documentation, and original owner and dealer info. The guy I sold it to gutted it and turned it into a car-show hot rod custom Ghia. It comes up for sale occasionally in the classifieds, but has never sold at his asking price.

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: