Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket AC smells like oil
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbrett4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Just bought my first bug. It's a 71 super beetle. The AC wasn't working when I bought it. It had a ground wire that was unattached and dangling. I got a good ground connection and now it works... It just smells like I've got mechanic scented air freshener. Anyone else ever run into this? Know how to fix it? Pic is of the brand and serial number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Tbrett4 on Thu May 25, 2023 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like gas/oil Reply with quote

Spray some Ozium through it while it’s blowing.
Might help.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbrett4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like gas/oil Reply with quote

I'll give it a go! It doesn't seem to be burning oil, so I don't think that's the culprit.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

The air intake should be at the evaporator case under the dash, and exits also through the evaporator vents. So, unless there's a refrigerant/refrigerant oil leak inside the evaporator, the smell must be coming from something in the evaporator case.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

It might just be from age… run the A/C for a while and see if the smell goes away. By the way, that’s not aftermarket, that’s original A/C that was installed by the dealer when the car was new.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Beeble1 wrote:
By the way, that’s not aftermarket, that’s original A/C that was installed by the dealer when the car was new.

My 1970 sedan originally had dealer-installed DPD AC kit.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tbrett4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Update: got under the bug today. Refrigerant hoses are cut, got under the car and discovered I have a very slow oil leak. It hasn't dripped into my driveway, but I can tell there's fresh oil from somewhere. I'm guessing it's burning just enough to make the smell. Will have to check in more later.
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

My 73 super beetle does too… I rebuild it a few years ago and it works great! I had new hoses custom made and converted to 134a, but the compressor, condenser, and evaporator are all original DPD equipment.

I always get questions at car shows when people see that giant York compressor in the engine bay. Very Happy

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Beeble1 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

My 73 super beetle does too… I rebuild it a few years ago and it works great! I I had new hoses custom made and converted to 134a, but the compressor, condenser, and evaporator are all original DPD equipment.

Big difference in AC comfort for you in Illinois than for me in Arizona !!!! I went through several compressors, and AC worked "OK" if one parked in the shade beforehand (but little shade here). I used R-12.

Beeble1 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

My 73 super beetle does too… I always get questions at car shows when people see that giant York compressor in the engine bay. Very Happy

My 1970 had black Tecumseh compressor, and I had to change that a couple of times; I bought my 1970 in late 1972 so knew that Tecumseh was the originally-installed one.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

@cusser, I split time between Chicago, IL and Chandler, AZ-you would be surprised at how rough the Chicago Summers can be. When it gets to the mid to high 80s, and humidity that the Phoenix area does not see, I find that it is more uncomfortable in IL than AZ even when it is 15. I run a/c in most of my air cooled VWs in both states (my 67 which I keep in AZ lacks it, although I have considered adding it-it has a 2332 cc with 48IDAs so it would be a challenge to fit though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Tbrett4 wrote:
Update: got under the bug today. Refrigerant hoses are cut, got under the car and discovered I have a very slow oil leak. It hasn't dripped into my driveway, but I can tell there's fresh oil from somewhere. I'm guessing it's burning just enough to make the smell. Will have to check in more later.

The refrigerant hoses are cut? If they've actually been cut, and there's oil weeping out of one or both of them, then the refrigerant (which is under pressure) would've leaked out long ago, and the air blowing out of the under-dash unit would not be cold. So when you said in your first post that "now it works," you must be referring to the compressor "on" function and the fan in the evaporator unit, but it shouldn't be creating cool air.
Tbrett4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

That's correct. The blower kicks on, and essentially is a fan but does not blow cold air.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket AC smells like oil Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
The refrigerant hoses are cut? If they've actually been cut, and there's oil weeping out of one or both of them, then the refrigerant (which is under pressure) would've leaked out long ago, and the air blowing out of the under-dash unit would not be cold. So when you said in your first post that "now it works," you must be referring to the compressor "on" function and the fan in the evaporator unit, but it shouldn't be creating cool air.

If the refrigerant hoses were cut, your system is crap !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: