Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

HI all. So I've had my Bus with a local "guru". Everyone in the clubs in Connecticut and Mass love this person. I do to. So that said. He installed a new steering box in my 76 Bay Westy. The previous box was great, but leaked. Since it apparently was more time and work to just replace the seals in the old one, he just ordered a new one for me. I was good with that. I just got the Bus back. It now has an odd sensation when turning. I'll be turning and suddenly there is a 1-2 inch "slip" feeling. Another words, it just lets go for a small amount of the turn and then is normal. In addition, there is a disconcerting CLICK in turns also. He says it's an adjustment needed but I can't quite figure out how this could be just an adjustment. Am I wrong, and could this be a major safety issue?. How can this be fixed, and keep in mind, the box is a newly purchased professionally rebuilt unit by a very reputable company. He is very anal about where to buy parts. ANY help is much appreciated. What should I do prior to him getting this back and making an adjustment etc.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

take it back to him and explain it. Anything less is wasting your time.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Gurus are still human, and letting a Bus out of a shop like this just proves that point. Back it goes, on a flatbed so you don’t hurt others.

Waiver if it is less than 5 KM and under 50 KM per hour to shop
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Many of us fill our leaking boxes with grease instead of oil. Lots of threads here on the samba about it and what grease to use.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Not from a bus....but from an acvw.

Many years ago after having the steering box out and back in.....I had that same 1-2" slip feeling only when turning either sitting still or at very low speed when there is a lot of tire friction to overcome.

Turned out.....I had forgotten to re-install the cross bolt that went through the splined yoke that connected steering column to the steering box. They have a little slack and without the cross bolt can rotate about 1/3 of a clock position each direction.

Worth checking. But yes....take it back to who worked on it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

sorry

time for a new "guru"

any asshole that lets bad steering out of the shop needs a 27mm wrench across the teeth

I have yet to find a "reputable" rebuilder for these boxes and when I build them, it takes 4-5 cores to build 1 and by the time the parts and machining come together they are close to 1k for a rebuilt box

there is absolutely no adjustment that is going to fix your complaint. either the pinch bolt isn't tight or there is something horribly wrong with the steering box.

so sick of people getting a "pass" because "he's a 'guru'" or a "nice guy"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

that should have been as simple as draining the existing oil, and filling it with grease, and putting it back in. Shocked

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

I’m no guru, but after fixing something on my bus, I go for a test drive; first somewhere safe and close to home, in case the wheels come off. Then, actual driving with other cars and people.

I agree that you should first take it back to the mechanic for a solution.

I had the same issue with my steering box. It wouldn’t hold oil. I could order one on eBay and get a turd, or a super duper expensive one and get a turd or spend the summer hunting down 5 used turd boxes to build 1 ok box. I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever that spending good money for a steering box will result in a good one arriving at my door.

I filled it with corn head grease. So far it has stayed in.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

I’ll bet you steering coupler is folding. Get a genuine one with the VW logo
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

If you fail to fully torque up the fixing bolts for your steering box, it can give suddenly as the whole thing rotates a fraction.
A clue is that the position of the steering wheel driving straight on a flat road will be different each time you go out after one of these jumps.

I managed this by forgetting the fourth bolt on the final tightening...

I used the ' feature' to straighten up the steering wheel so spokes were horizontal straight ahead before I re torqued the bolts.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Definitely worth a check. I had a similar issue on an International truck a few years back that was caused by the steering column not being pressed all the way onto the input shaft on the steering box. This caused too harsh of an angle at the u-joint creating symptoms similar to the OP. Skills is right though, if the ‘guru’ did the work himself and let it leave his shop like this he needs a beating. Steering and brakes are life and death, not just yours but my kids’ as well. Let us know the outcome.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Just curious of what year bus this is? What brand of steering box? Was it rebuilt in Northern California?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lares,209,steering+coupler,7418
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Just curious of what year bus this is? What brand of steering box? Was it rebuilt in Northern California?

New steering boxes for late bays are readily available.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Xevin wrote:

New steering boxes for late bays are readily available.

Thanks Rich, I kept missing the 76 in his post. I looked and looked Embarassed

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

When you say the steering box is folding, can you explain further what that means?. Thanks.
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Going there on Wed. Not sure how to answer your questions other than to say that it is a VW Box not a repro. I'll find out where he got it, and look at it with him. Thanks for asking.
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Many of us fill our leaking boxes with grease instead of oil. Lots of threads here on the samba about it and what grease to use.

Good luck!

I wish I had just left the leaky box in there , it worked great otherwise. The "NEW" box doesn't leak but is disconcerting to drive with the click and odd slip feeling. Going there on Wed. Hopefully it will be all sorted out by then.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

I said that your steering coupler might be folding. Not steering box.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435679&highlight=steering+coupler
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box, new install. Clicks and odd play. Reply with quote

Another thought is that if the box is OK, the new box is showing up other defects in the remainder of the steering:

Drag link rod ends loose.
Centre pivot pin and bushings worn.
Track rod ends loose.
Ball joints worn.

You did not notice them before but now the box is not clunking away, you can hear the rest ...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: