Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BanjoMan64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

This is my first restoration, and I’m still very new to everything. I’ve been rebuilding a 64’ beetle for the last two years. I have the body off the chassis right now, and I’m wondering if I should open up the transaxle. The car was running and driving before I starting rebuilding it and didn’t seem to have any issues shifting into all four gears.

I have some mechanic friends telling me that I should open up the transaxle and check for any wear while it’s out and accessible. However, I also have other mechanic friends telling me that if there aren’t any issues I should leave it be and save myself the hassle of rebuilding it. Neither of these friends have worked on beetles, though.

What is typically advisable in this instance? Is there anything on the transaxle that should be routinely replaced/inspected? Or should I leave it until it gives me cause for concern?
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

The trans and engine are the only part of my 73 I didn't rebuild after a 5 year sit. They ran fine before so I threw them back in and everything is fine to this day. I would leave it alone.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
The trans and engine are the only part of my 73 I didn't rebuild after a 5 year sit. They ran fine before so I threw them back in and everything is fine to this day. I would leave it alone.

I also would not "open" it up. I would change the gear oil though, and check the drive axle boots.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Another vote for, "If it ain't broke. Don't fix it!"

Change the gear lube, install new axle boots and call it, "Good to go."

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Change the fluid and drive it. If there are big chunks in the fluid, make a mental note that a rebuild may be in the future. Same if it whines or is noisy..
But if it shifts between all gears without grinding, don't mess with it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Agreed change fluid drive it for a while thousand miles or two change it again.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I also would not "open" it up. I would change the gear oil though, and check the drive axle boots.

There you go. Do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Stick it in the car. Fill it up with gear oil. Drive it as is. It will most likely live past this restoration, too! Next time you restore the Bug, rebuild it then!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Don't forget to clean the drain plug magnets and add one to the filler plug, if the drain plugs don't have magnets add some .

Don't freak out because there are jagged looking slivers of steel on the magnet(s) this is normal SWARF and isn't cause for concern as long as it's quiet and shifts well .

Replace the boots and ensure the seams at at the 9 O'clock level, not straight up .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

This is what I would do to it. I would check the shifter cone to ensure it is not leaking, replacing the transmission bushing to the chassis, check the side differentials for leakage, replace the transmission fluid, check the rear main seal for leakage, and replace the boots if they are cracked. That way if it does work out you won't be removing it later on for some simple maintenance items.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

BanjoMan64 wrote:
This is my first restoration, and I’m still very new to everything. I’ve been rebuilding a 64’ beetle for the last two years. I have the body off the chassis right now, and I’m wondering if I should open up the transaxle. The car was running and driving before I starting rebuilding it and didn’t seem to have any issues shifting into all four gears.

I have some mechanic friends telling me that I should open up the transaxle and check for any wear while it’s out and accessible. However, I also have other mechanic friends telling me that if there aren’t any issues I should leave it be and save myself the hassle of rebuilding it. Neither of these friends have worked on beetles, though.

What is typically advisable in this instance? Is there anything on the transaxle that should be routinely replaced/inspected? Or should I leave it until it gives me cause for concern?

Everyone told you what they would do but apparently no one read your post carefully enough. You said you were restoring a 64 beetle. A restoration isn't just a cosmetic job, it's everything as it was when new from the factory. The mechanical parts are just as important from steering and kingpins to the engine at the other end. This doesn't mean you need new bearings or bushings, but they must be within specifications. Sacrificial parts like synchronizers are a different story. When I worked in unit repair, I didn't throw away good bearings, but they were always checked.
If you want to refurbish a car that is one thing, but a restoration is a formidable worthwhile task that's more than a pretty paint job.
FPGT72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Just this past weekend I put the trans back in my car. I was having the same thought. However mine was not running when it came apart so I really do have no idea if the thing even has teeth on the gears.

What I figured I would do is after the engine is finished and installed I will do a test drive of the "pan" with a bucket and gas can, see if it moves and if anything sounds funny.

At that point if something is messed up it is not a huge deal to pop the engine off and deal with the issue.

At least this is my plan.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

I lean, too, for changing the oil and axle boots, and driving it. At worst, you are only down pulling the engine so you can pull the Trans to replace/repair. If it works well with fresh oil you just saved a lot of time dealing with trying to pull rear wheel bearings. Unless, you have a friend/club member with a puller. It's a fair amount of work pulling a trans but not too bad. Like Click and Clack said, "you could ask the doctor to put in a new heart with a transplant, but why, if you don't need it?"
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisable to open/rebuild transaxle if no known issues? Reply with quote

Definitely check and if not already alloy, change the detent hole plugs, all four of them. (check the 8mm one hiding behind the stud)

Regards,

Mark.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: