Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clatter 28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

I have acquired a Dometic RM182B fridge, product number 9267329, that has an autoignition module and a push button 110v-Battery-Gas selector switch. Looking in the forums I haven't seen any particular reference to this setup.

I think this switch is broken but I don't really know how it is meant to work. Is the switch "radio style", one button pushed in releases the other button pushed in, only one button can be pushed in at a time? Is the gas button a momentary or are the positions all "maintained"?

When using gas, the start procedure is that you turn thermostat past MIN, push in the GAS button and then pump and hold safety valve. Is the MIN position what activates the auto spark module? The selector switch turns on the 12v to the module, I can see that. What happens when you turn the knob back to colder?

I think switch is broken because it is stuck in the 110v pushed in and no amount pushing the others will get that one to release. The other two will push in but won't lock or release the 110v.

Since this fridge is newer than the 40 year old I have now, I'd like to see if I can use it. It cools nicely on 110V. I'm guessing this switch is a 3 position 2pole, triple throw switch and could be replaced with such. These appear to be oddly unavailable so might need to be fabricated. Any thoughts?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Yes, the 3-way switch is "radio style."

The "gas button" temporarily bypasses the thermocouple so you can light it.

You don't need to pump air with one of these, at least I don't.

I would try to find a switch from another Dometic rather than making one. The ignition modules are available.

If you have the fridge out of your van, good time to disassemble the fire box and chimney and clean it. Make sure to get the burner orifice really clean.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

clatter 28 wrote:
I think switch is broken because it is stuck in the 110v pushed in and no amount pushing the others will get that one to release. The other two will push in but won't lock or release the 110v.
Any thoughts?

It is likely something is broken or just out of position inside the switch. It can be taken
apart though it is very fiddly in there. And putting it back together requires nimble fingers.

Take a pic of all the wire positions and give it a try.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Hi

Surprised you didn't find anything, a quick internet search has good results.

Look in the FAQ for fridge cleaning tips.

Also, check here:
https://www.vanagononline.com/articles/vw-vanagon-westfalia-dometic-fridge-maintenance/

And here is the manual for your specific model.
https://westfaliat3.info/dometicRM182B.pdf

I have the same model. Once cleaned and serviced, works fine.

Read the manual, it should answer many, if not all, of your questions. Any remaining questions come back here and we'll figure it out!

Finally, in about 4 minutes this thread will be swamped by people who changed this fridge for a more modern unit. I recommend trying this one out, see if it works for you. The great advantage of the stock Dometic is its ability to run for weeks on a single tank of propane.

Have fun!
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Finally, in about 4 minutes this thread will be swamped by people who changed this fridge for a more modern unit. I recommend trying this one out, see if it works for you. The great advantage of the stock Dometic is its ability to run for weeks on a single tank of propane.

For sure..X2
clatter 28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! The manual linked I have, problem is it doesn't show the push button-auto ignition set up. I will do all the Frank Condelli maintenance suggestions!

Surprised you didn't find anything, a quick internet search has good results.

Look in the FAQ for fridge cleaning tips.

Also, check here:
https://www.vanagononline.com/articles/vw-vanagon-westfalia-dometic-fridge-maintenance/

And here is the manual for your specific model.
https://westfaliat3.info/dometicRM182B.pdf

I have the same model. Once cleaned and serviced, works fine.

Read the manual, it should answer many, if not all, of your questions. Any remaining questions come back here and we'll figure it out!

Have fun![/quote]
clatter 28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see if I can find a replacement switch. I tried to fix the switch and inside is the most complicated mess of tiny plastic parts imaginable. It would have been easy to make such a switch with just a trigger bar, but it has cam surfaces and movable parts that I cannot fathom. Oh well, a rotary switch could be fabbed. I'm guessing that the reference to disabling the thermocouple is what is done by turning the thermostat knob to light. The push button radio switch connects the +12v to the ignition module. The terminals for which (inside the switch) are rather thin compared to those of the 110v and 12v.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

When propane switch is pushed (the one on the right), the electronic piezo module starts firing sparks, every second or so, until there is combustion.

This is shown by the red indicator above said switch. Every time it sparks, the indicator briefly lights up. Alternatively, you can hear the spark pretty clearly by putting your ear close to the exhaust vent outside, or by the drain tube (inside the van, below the fridge, lower left), and unscrewing the cap. Blowing air in there also helps.

Another topic, if you have even more time on your hands: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700803&highlight=fridge+spark
clatter 28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Thank you all!
Burphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Hey Clatter 28- I have same model dometic rm 182 b with the later 3 push button voltage selector, Dreefs 3 DPS 184 2871 (in a stock 1990 Westfalia full camper)- fridge now out of my van, ready for Frank Condelli cleaning recs...

I have been searching high and low, can't find any replacements, or any info on fab'ing a replacement. My buttons would not engage, so I pulled fridge and removed switch, took it apart and it appears one of the sliding plastic mechanisms is missing an arm and spring. Either way, did you ever find a diagram or pictorial on how it's supposed to look inside switch housing? or does anyone know if there is a good replacement available for this 3 button selector? If not, is it as simple as replacing with single pole, properly rated switches?
Thanks in advance
clatter 28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Have Dometic Fridge with Pushbutton selector switch? Reply with quote

Inside the switch the three push buttons have a set of contacts and return spring. The tiny plastic release mechanisms are completely impenetrable to me, I can’t tell if something is broken or missing and don’t see anyway it could function. It is a selector switch so any double pole 3position switch would work, like a rotating. You could use 3 single pole switches but you would then have to do the “this, not that” function. The 12 v position is highest current, not that much. Maybe the existing switch can be made to work with a trigger bar and camming surfaces. Or check eBay for a 3 gang push button switch.

I can send photo later depending on time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: