Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteyDaMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Hi All,
When my buggy warms up it grinds when trying to put it in first or reverse.
When it's cold it goes into gear fine and has no slip.
I adjusted the clutch out a bit and it solved it for a while but it's back. The pedal is catching near the top so I don't think I can adjust it out much more.
It has a 65 swing axle trans and a 72 1600 DP.
Could it be the pilot busing or a bad clutch swelling as it heats up?

What would be a good replacement clutch kit that is streetable.

thanks
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

That is a trait of a clutch thats toast. Your engagement is telling you this too.

Pull the engine, resurface the flywheel, install a new pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Do the rear main seal while you have your flywheel off. Dont forget the flywheel o-ring.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Yeah, most likely the pressure plate isn't releasing evenly. It's not going to fix itself.
PeteyDaMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
What would be a good replacement clutch?
The motor isn't built up so figure stockish power

Is the Empi unit any good?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/32-1256-B.html

Or maybe the Sachs kit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SXR-KF182-02
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Don't know, haven't bought a new one in years.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Make sure you have the flywheel double ground since the distance from the pressure plate mounting surface to the friction surface should be 21mm.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

Actually 21.1-21.2 if I recall.

I would search my posts to verify, I know we did the whole spec sheet before
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

PeteyDaMan wrote:
What would be a good replacement clutch?
The motor isn't built up so figure stockish power]

I've been happy with the clutch pressure plate and disc from CB Performance in my mostly-stock 1970 sedan.

I use a 1980s-made Sachs pressure plate and newer standard spring disc in my 1971 with 1835cc engine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Actually 21.1-21.2 if I recall.

I would search my posts to verify, I know we did the whole spec sheet before

I thought it was 21mm for 12v with the wear limit up to .840", and 6v was 24mm, but that is off of the top of my head and I could be wrong so you should double check or have your machinist double check.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

.830-.835 in the AERA book
But it varies slightly depending where you look it up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8268211
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: gears grinding when hot. Bad pilot bearing? Bad clutch? Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with the stock pressure plates on a stockish engine. Excellent trouble free service in multiple cars over 4 decades of driving. If you are running double the stock HP, have sticky tires, a heavy car and an itchy left foot then that's a different story.

In your case with a light Buggy and stock engine there is no need to buy another pressure plate unless it's broken which is possible but I highly doubt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: