Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring a 70
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Rewiring a 70 Reply with quote

Hello all
So just got a new full set of wiring for my 70 bus. I have fed main loom through to front. The old fues box and wires were taking off before I got it. Starting from scratch. and not good at wiring diagrams, what and where do the main power wires from back to fuse box go? Is it best to wire up main wires first (12 Volt) from battery first, then wire ancillary up to fuse box (Lights ect)? Sorry for the basic questions, just very lost in this effort. I managed to wire up rear lights (License plate), just the nightmare of fusebox begins from scratch.
Appreciate all your help in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 70 Reply with quote

Looks like it goes to the headlight switch:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take that JPG down to your local office store and have them blow it up and print/laminate it, buy a grease pencil or dry erase pen while you are waiting, then you can highlight a particular circuit to focus on and forget about the background noise.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 70 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like it goes to the headlight switch:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take that JPG down to your local office store and have them blow it up and print/laminate it, buy a grease pencil or dry erase pen while you are waiting, then you can highlight a particular circuit to focus on and forget about the background noise.

Have them print it up as a "D Size" Drawing (i.e. 22x 17). Make 2.

German Car wiring is not like American Car wiring. Study the drawing carefully.

For German cars: Typically power goes to the switch, then to the fuse box and then to the controlled device.

For American Cars: Power goes to the fuse box and the ignition switch. The ignition switch then goes to the fuse box. Power then goes through the fuses to the switch and then on to the controlled device.

The color codes mean something as to the purpose of the wire.

Lots more.

If the OP does not feel comfortable with how this works, they should have a pro take care of it.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 70 Reply with quote

Ausdingo wrote:
Hello all
So just got a new full set of wiring for my 70 bus. I have fed main loom through to front. The old fues box and wires were taking off before I got it. Starting from scratch. and not good at wiring diagrams, what and where do the main power wires from back to fuse box go? Is it best to wire up main wires first (12 Volt) from battery first, then wire ancillary up to fuse box (Lights ect)? Sorry for the basic questions, just very lost in this effort. I managed to wire up rear lights (License plate), just the nightmare of fusebox begins from scratch.
Appreciate all your help in advance.

See my comments above.

I hope you do not have the self destructing yellow fuse box.
Ausdingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a 70 Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies, really appreciate it

No yellow fuse box:)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: