Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super - Tire rubbing against spring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevedubya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: 72 Super - Tire rubbing against spring Reply with quote

Folks - I lowered my '72 SB using the EMPI strut. As you can see in the photo, the spring is hitting the tire. The tire is 195.

Did I install the strut incorrectly?
Do I need to use narrower (165) tire?
Do I need to adjust camber?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help is much appreciated!!
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super - Tire hitting Spring Reply with quote

This is the same problem I had when I went 2inches lower. There are numerous factors that could be at play. Offset of the rim and tire width being main issue. I ran 195/60/15 on the 914 5.5in rims and it hit the spring on one side and not the other side. Easiest cure was a tapered spring that is hour glassed shaped. This gave me all the clearance I needed. I know its late now, you have already taken apart your strut to put the not so adjustable ones on. So if taking it apart again and replacing the spring with the tapered one doesn't sound exciting, then your other option is a narrower tire. 195 is pushing it.
Like I said I started with 195 on the 914 sport wheels and am now running 185 on the gas burner style EMPI rims. Alignment will only get you some much. Too much camber isn't a great thing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: