Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

I am working on building an engine and the case I have to use has the pick up tube uninstalled.

The tube will go in about 1/2" or so then the swedged part of the tube becomes very tight in order to seat it the rest of the way.

What is the best way to put some leverage on the tube to seat it and align it with the sump stud?

I am using Loctite sleeve retainer to help seal the tube. I can put the tube in the freezer and then heat the case to open up the hole. I just don't know where to push on the tube or if I should be using a large screwdriver as a lever since I do not want to damage anything.

Thanks
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Last time I welded on a shoulder so I could drive it in.
Would do again.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Was it welded to the tube itself or the bell portion and was it a flat bar or something that went towards the other side of the case so you could tap it in with a small hammer?

Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Put the pickup in the freezer and use a torch to heat up the case.

And you'll need a piece of wood and a hammer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Have just been through this. If you can get your hands on an OEM pickup the right size (instead of an aftermarket one) , it will likely fit quite easily.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

I just built it up with weld where I wanted to drive it.

Will take a picture next time.
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

find a metal rod that fits snug n the tube, push it in so far then whack the rod to drive it in, takes a fairly hard smack, lube it too before doin it with some pentrating oil or whatever ya got, i also sanded and filed the part that goes in the block too before driving it in
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

This should be fun to watch -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

It is certainly not fun to watch since I am stuck with a situation that I did not anticipate, but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Ive never did this, but can you measure the hole id and the tube od to get an idea of the difference? Maybe make some sort of round tube clamp to hammer it in?
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
It is certainly not fun to watch since I am stuck with a situation that I did not anticipate, but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

We all gave them to ya, its just not a pretty job
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Thanks
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

You guys were right, this job is tricky.

I attempted to do this today with not good results and had to pull it apart.

I put the pick up tube in the freezer and heated the case hole area up with a torch.

I put the loctite retainer sealant around the tube and inserted it then drove it home using a long socket in the pick up tube hole.

Then I discovered that the mounting tab on the bell was 1/2" below the stud hole so I had to heat up everything and remove the tube.

I tried tweaking the bell and mounting tab, but I don't see how this is going to line up.

Maybe I should try a different tube.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Now I know why this case had the tube out in the first place!

Thanks in advance.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Are you installing a "stock" pickup tube, or a CB deep sump?

Like I stated in my PM. It's a bitch to install, and not pretty.

You have to keep that mounting tab above the the stud, while aligning the insertion tube into the case.

I feel your pain!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

This used case came with a stock style tube just thrown in. I did not know that at the time of the purchase. Anyways when I tried to attach it yesterday it the tab did not line up with the stud hole as the tab was 1/2" down in the case. I attempted to bend the tube but that did not work. I ordered a CB one today. I hope everything aligns with that one and it installs ok and I can get on with the build.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

2019 Samba thread “oil pickup tube loose”.

A member named Clatter mentioned that the big galley plug can be removed (I know it’s a pain) and a 5/8” (IIRC) red-head concrete anchor supposedly works for installing and seating the tube. That anchor expands the tube into the bore.

Another guy on YouTube uses a hose clamp for a leverage point. I tried the hose clamp idea and found it cumbersome. Modoks idea of welding a leverage point should be good because it’s quick therefore less heat that may soften the other joints. I’d be tempted to use a collar tack welded for a leverage point.

Apparently the after market pickup tubes can be harder to install and a good used original should fit better.

I can’t help but believe the factory method was to use an expansion tool going through the galley followed by a plug.
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

I’ve always put a jubilee clip around the tube to give me something I can use to tap it into the case using a bit of 518 sealant, I’ve recently found them harder to remove than to refit as my last couple of cases had blue loctite on the now crappy pick up tubes.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

I can understand that since removing it was a pain once the loctite sleeve retainer began to set up.

I am hoping the new CB pick up tube will align properly. I have a feeling the pick up tube that was with the engine case was removed by prying hard and maybe bent something making everything not line up. If I have to I may have to cut the mounting tab off and align everything then reattach the mounting tap to the pick up tube bell.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the advice!
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Never did it before but wouldn’t you just remove the case plug and use a tool like a tailpipe expander to Swede it you know do it professionally instead of all the weird stuff people are posting??
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you reinstall a pick up tube in the engine case? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Put the pickup in the freezer and use a torch to heat up the case.

And you'll need a piece of wood and a hammer.

Done this several times, be patient heating the case and dont get scared or you wont get it hot enough. Also, removing the stud & reinstalling after the pick up tube is in makes life easier.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: