Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about engine parts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

So I have a few questions. As I'm pulling apart my engine I am wondering about the part marked in yellow. What is that? I obviously need a new one.

Also you can see the fan shroud and below where the engine meets the wall there is a big gap. Is that normal? I can't remember from when the engine was in good shape. With the fire things look way different to me and I'm a newbie trying to replace the outer parts of the engine. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Fire?

It's the oil pressure sender.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Rubber seal filled the gap between body and engine tin.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
Rubber seal filled the gap between body and engine tin.

Rubber burns in a fire Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

DanaJT wrote:
... the part marked in yellow. What is that?

That's what used to be your oil pressure idiot light's sending unit:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111919081A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

DanaJT, your engine and the engine compartment will need alot of thorough work to get them back into service. To fit that rubber perimeter seal that goes around the engine, the engine will need to be removed so that the seal's lip can fit into the metal "C" channel that's on the body. Removing the engine might be work that is beyond your newbie level.

The hole in the engine case for the oil pressure switch does not have a firm "end". The engine case's hole has tapered threads so that the more you tighten the switch, the better it seals. If you tighten too much, the metal switch will expand into the case threads too much and can likely break the hole area. This will be even more so with the fire heat on the engine case material. You thread the new switch in by hand, then only give it maybe 2 more full turns with a large wrench to create sufficient seal. When you finally get the engine back into the car and running, watch the case hole carefully where the switch is. If there is a drop of oil beneath the switch that collects on the black engine tin, then turn the switch no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn more and monitor again.

The fan shroud on your engine is from a '71 and later Beetle, a design called "dog house". That style has a wider-diameter cooling fan than the shroud style thru '67.

If you don't have access to a sandblaster to clean the surface rust off the engine tins and the engine compartment, consider painting the surfaces with a good anti-rust paint such as MasterSeries after scrubbing with a wire brush.

The fire looks like it started to MELT the aluminum alloy engine case!

Is the photo from cbeck's post of your Beetle?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Quote:
The fire looks like it started to MELT the aluminum alloy engine case!

The melted metal is what's left of the carburetor. Thankfully the magnesium alloy case didn't catch, otherwise there'd be not much left of the car to rebuild.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Ah yes, that makes sense; thanks mukluk.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: FIRE Repair Reply with quote

Good to see you didn't open the deck lid and allow more oxygen in, that often causes the entire car to go up in flames .

This isn't insurmountable although it's labor intensive .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am taking it slow and trying to clean it up the best I can. All these tips and more are welcome. Thanks,

I've loosened all bolts on parts. I need to get the melted carb. out because it's stuck there. I have been contemplating taking the motor out, but want to see how far I can get without doing that. Those are all great tips and to do it right I'm sure I need to remove the engine, but will avoid it as long as I can.

Edit: Should I keep the fan shroud or go back to the original 67 version?
Also what happens if I don't add the engine seal?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

DanaJT wrote:
Also what happens if I don't add the engine seal?

Hot air gets sucked into the fan and it cools less.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Quote:
...to do it right I'm sure I need to remove the engine, but will avoid it as long as I can.

Just rip that band-aid off, no point in delaying the inevitable. The engine has to come out to replace the compartment seals and to properly address the rust issues to the body and tinwork from being burned. It'll also make it easier to replace the damaged wiring and install new tar board insulation if you wish to do so.

Quote:
Should I keep the fan shroud or go back to the original 67 version?

The doghouse oil cooling setup is superior to the earlier style. IMO, the only reason to revert to the original setup is if you're shooting for a "correct" restoration.
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll just keep it the way it is then.

How tall of jack stands do I need to get this high enough to remove the engine?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

DanaJT wrote:
Thank you. I'll just keep it the way it is then.

How tall of jack stands do I need to get this high enough to remove the engine?

A standard set of 3ton HF jack stands will suffice.
I have 2 sets.

Place the stands under the rear torsion bar housing, to achieve a stable, raised car.
When I place a car on stands. I give the car a decent shake to check the stability of my jack stand placement.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

ok thanks,
So to make sure the rear torsion bar housing is the??? axle ??? or bar near the wheels? I'm learning a lot. Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

DanaJT wrote:
ok thanks,
So to make sure the rear torsion bar housing is the??? axle ??? or bar near the wheels? I'm learning a lot. Smile

Forward of the rear wheels.

The torsion housing is about 3" in diameter.

Put the jack stand right there.^

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Justin, opinions will vary widely on the jackstand height. I've been removing VW engines as hobby for 35 years and just this past week tried a new method in which I don't need to raise the car very much to pull the engine. This was on my '77 Beetle.

There are two distinct jobs with removing the engine: Removing it from the transmission, and then pulling it out from under the body. Those 2 operations can be treated separately.

The 2 jackstands I use are 3-ton ones which look like this, with the locking ratchet teeth and the release handle (Tom Powell gallery)-

What I did was to build a small wooden dolly out of a discarded wood pallet, and install small caster wheels (Harbor Freight) on each corner. Overall size is about 2' x 1 1/2' or 2' x 2'. The lower section that holds the wheels is enclosed on 3 sides. The pallet flat platform surface is screwed onto the lower section for rigidity using 3" drywall screws. I have a low profile 1.5 ton aluminum "racing jack" from HF. In its lowered state, the jack pad slips under the dolly platform on the one open side. The jack pad contacts the underside of the platform.

I raised my Beetle so that the tires are about a hand-width off the ground, similar to this one (walking contradiction gallery)-

This height enabled me to easily slip under the car on a padded gym foam mat and remove the 3 bolts that hold the engine to the transmission (the 4th one, at upper right by the starter, can be reached in the engine compartment while standing next to the right rear fender- a hex nut with 17 mm wrench size). Also disconnect the two heater box cable clamps, and pull off the fuel hose from the frame's outlet pipe. Wear eye goggles and a head strap LED work light.

After getting back up from underneath the car and disconnecting the wires in the engine compartment, I raise the dolly so that it contacts the bottom of the engine using the jack. Then give it another slight handle pump so that the weight of the engine is off the 4 bolts/studs. I can now pull the engine back off the trans and make sure the clutch pressure plate separates and clears the transmission output shaft. Then I carefully lower the jack so that the dolly sits on the ground. At this point, the generator pulley is just above the rear apron.

Now I pull the jack out from under the dolly and roll it forwards to where the frame horns start, in the middle of the frame. I go in from the side of the car, ahead of the 2 jackstands. Place a sturdy 4"x4" piece of wood onto the jack pad, then raise the frame to nearly max jack height so that the rear of the body goes up high enough where the top of the engine's fan shroud can slip under the bottom of the rear apron. I pull the engine out from beneath the car on the rolling dolly. When out, I lower the car with the jack until it sits back on the 2 jack stands.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Instead of sandblasting, I wonder if the rust on the firewall and on the engine shrouds could be treated with Ospho in a spray bottle? When dry, paint the surface with MasterSeries silver as protectant using a brush? On the engine, spray over the MS with semi-gloss black spray paint...

To remove the potmetal carburetor melted remnants, first remove the distributor by loosening the clamp (10 mm wrench/socket size on the M6 locknut) and use a blunt chisel to hopefully cleanly separate the potmetal from the engine case. I doubt that the heat of the fire caused the potmetal to fuse to the engine case; rather, it should just sit on top and easily separate.
DanaJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about engine parts Reply with quote

Thank you all for being so helpful. This gives me courage to do this. I have also watched lots of videos to help give me the courage.

When you say "frame horns start, in the middle of the frame" I would assume that is just somewhere in the middle of the car. I'm a little unsure about the exact spot, but I'll look around underneath to see if that makes more sense or a visible spot to put the jack.

Thanks,
I'll try chiseling the old metal and seeing if that will pop it loose. I hope so.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: