Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They use nifty cad. plated tin and where it's crimped to hold the screen in all the plating chips off along with the plating on the flat areas.
The stuff was flaking all over the place.

Another problem is that it's made of heavier gauge sheet tin which doesn't conform to being shaped and simply wrinkles. No paper oil change gasket is going to seal that up.

I am real happy I didn't run this piece of crap after being EMPI'd with an aluminum degree pulley nightmare.

When will this China invasion end?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

And when will people stop throwing away perfectly good re-usable stock parts and buying that junk? Those screens don't wear out. They get abused by guys with 10 thumbs and no clues but they never wear out.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
And when will people stop throwing away perfectly good re-usable stock parts and buying that junk? Those screens don't wear out. They get abused by guys with 10 thumbs and no clues but they never wear out.

Correct.
I have a couple OEM's around and with a rinse and blow-dry they go right back in.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

It's like...... you buy a tweety bird from the ice cream truck.... are you expecting the gumball eyes to be placed correctly?
Laughing

I'd be slightly let down if it did match the picture.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It's like...... you buy a tweety bird from the ice cream truck.... are you expecting the gumball eyes to be placed correctly?
Laughing

I'd be slightly let down if it did match the picture.

Good one.
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:

When people quit buying this crap.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

RickS wrote:
Bug53 wrote:

When people quit buying this crap.

Never, VW people are cheap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

The VW hobby are mostly hippies - Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
The VW hobby used to be mostly hippies - Laughing

Fixed it for you! Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

Some of us DO NOT use a screen at all when running a full flow with an oil filter.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

I bought one of those and its in the trash now. The holes are waaay off, from the studs, plus the wrinkles. No way. No screen for me, just a good magnet
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

I suppose that an engine in good running condition and properly maintained really doesn't need either. To me though a filter means there is a better chance the crank, cam and rods will be re-usable on the next rebuild if something goes south. The screen just adds the oil pump to the list so I use both.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

Check this out and let me know your thoughts. While it doesn't have the same issues as the EMPI strainer, the strainer I purchased has little "ears" on the pickup tube holder. I'm afraid these will slice into the pickup tube and add some metal shavings to the oil, and haven't used it yet therefore.

I thought about filing them down, but would need a TINY file or pick.

Ted

DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

I use my oil sump gaskets and a big magnet full flow setup. Have 4 and 6 packs available USA Made Free Shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185475899975 4 Pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185891262919 6 Pack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

Other that OE, what would be better than Empi? Are the Dansk screens any better?
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

I just did google shopping and found one vender that had one that didn't look like screen door screen. My driver my spare motor and the two i have in my stash all have much smaller holes than the one pictured here.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
Other that OE, what would be better than Empi? Are the Dansk screens any better?

I have found the Wolfsburg West screens to be fine.

I was super bummed when Empi acquired JayCee, because I refuse to support the garbage they push onto the market. If they gave 2 cents about the hobby they wouldn't let most of this crap get out the door.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Beware ! Don't use EMPI oil screens Reply with quote

An old Boss of mine once said "We are not here to make friends, we are here to make money!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: