Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting rear tombstone light housings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

hello,

I am fitting a replacement pair of Tombstone housings to the rear wings. (The Bolts had seized/sheared off on the previous ones despite lots of different lubricants applied)

I wondered how I can prevent that happening again - what should be applied to the threads and would a washer be necessary? Threadlock, grease?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

Never-seize lubricant on the threads.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

ALWAYS fit a flat washer on the underside of the fastening nut! They spread the attachment force of the small-sized nuts over a larger area against the fender/wing surface. I agree with some grease on the housing's threads, since they are otherwise exposed to road/drive water. You can also apply some pliable sealing compound to the threads after the nuts are installed, as a further shield to dirt/water.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

Permatex 80078
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

Brush on some Liquid electrical tape on the threads after installing the nuts.
jonat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

not sure I can find Never Seez in the UK, other than really expensive options from abroad with high postage. Permatex 80078 might be a good alternative maybe which is available.

Is pliable sealing compound the same as liquid electrical tape?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

Any anti-seize will do.

Just google anti-seize UK and you'll get lots of (cheap) options.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

jonat wrote:
not sure I can find Never Seez in the UK, other than really expensive options from abroad with high postage. Permatex 80078 might be a good alternative maybe which is available.

Is pliable sealing compound the same as liquid electrical tape?

Google liquid electrical tape and see what comes up in the UK I'm sure an electric shop will know about it.
jonat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting rear tombstone light housings Reply with quote

I have some multi purpose copper grease - will that be good enough vs something like Permatex 80078?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: