Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Before I get into the harness build:

General wire terminal crimping- “how-to” and resources:
I created a different thread in response to some of my posts and questions in this thread in the Performance section:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=780774

This D-jet build thread which was linked to by moderator Glenn is MOST specifically about building a D-jet fuel injection wiring harness.

While it has a lot of the information you might need for crimping of any kind- what kind of terminals, where to get them, what kind of wire, where to get tools, heat shrink materials, weather sealing, sheathing, wire numbering, what constitutes a good crimp, why use crimping instead of solder….it is a very long thread about a very specific wiring harness and uses crimp terminals that are NOT main stream.

If you are not building a D-jet injection harness, most of what you need would require tons of reading to get out of this thread.

The thread just for general terminal crimping materials will be this one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10062557#10062557

D-jet fuel injection harness build and crimping how to:
Part 1:

My apologies that this thread will have a good bit of reading. I will try to keep it short but there is a lot to go through. There are too many issues to just make a list and say “buy this” and do that.

I am doing this build NOW because I hope to finish the 1.8L engine build for a friend in the next two months and will need a working D-jet system to break it in here (even though it will be running on L-jet when it gets in the car)

Time saving book marks I will put in this thread:

If you are building a stock harness using:
• Stock plugs
• Stock terminals
• Stock spec but NEW wire….

If you just need the tools for crimping I will leave a big red marker for the tool section which comes before the section on wire that you can quickly scroll down to. You need tools and wire.

If you are building that same harness and already have the tools,
I will also leave a big red marker you can scroll to just for buying the wire and moving forward to the crimping section.

If you are building a new harness with the new plugs and terminals and new wire and do not have the tools and need to know what wire and where to get it and do not yet know how to crimp….you might want to go through all of this.

HELPFUL NOTE: You may not even be building an EFI harness. You may be doing chassis harness crimps. You will learn what you need for that here as well and the same tools will be needed.

Some long winded but important items:

1. During the build of this harness, some of it will not LOOK exactly like the stock harness. This may not be ideal for some. This is not a stock harness outside of the ECU connectors.

2. My goal is improved reliability with BETTER function than the factory harness in all areas and build quality as good or better than stock. This is primarily about FUNCTION but it will look as professional as any factory harness.

3. When mine is fully sheathed, it will probably not be using the exact same form layout. The factory harness had some wires (like the injector grounds) that went from each injector plug, back up into the harness, get bundled up inside of the sheathing and then they turn back and exit at a different point to join together right before the ground star on the case centerline.

While I do not really think this is bad, it’s not ideal for what I will state next.

4. At the main ground star, currently, #1 and #2 join together and #3 and #4 join together. Each occupies one leg of the three point ground star on the case centerline. The third point is also a double wire connected to #11 on the ECU and #14/47 on the TVS.

These groupings will not change but the ground star itself will no longer be used. I “might” use the same ground point on the case centerline but because the grounding of the engine case is directly dependent on the quality of the tail cone ground on the transmission and virtually nothing else (except maybe the alternator case), it’s not a great ground point.

The ground star commonly can work loose; it gets oxidized or gets covered in oil and the stock wire connectors that plug onto them work loose from vibration and heat cycling. We can do better than this and visually no one will notice.
Loose or poor ground connections at this point have caused me almost as many running and tuning issues as the wiring harness itself.
It would be far smoother and a far, far better ground to bolt them all to a single CHASSIS ground point over on the firewall near the relays and a few inches from where the harness enters the engine bay.

5. MOST IMPORTANT: If you want or need a factory exact harness (maybe with some improved materials from what I hear) meaning a harness that looks and is just like the factory made, the work done by JMSkater and Jeff Bowlsby is beyond compare.

I am not doing this “how to” to cut into their business or take away from their work.

If they charge you $500 or $600 or more for a “restoration” factory exact level harness with perfect function and/or you just want a great functioning harness but do not have the time, tools or desire to build your own….their prices are a bargain. Give them your business please!

If you do not already own all of the tools to do this, it will cost you some $. Not a huge amount but a little bit. By the time you acquire the crimper frame, dies, connectors and materials (and a few small tools that I think you should have as an ACVW owner anyway) your cost will be within $150 to $200 or less of the cost these guys charge. Not to mention your effort and time.

• In my opinion, your best, longest lasting harness will be made with Teflon coated/silver plated copper wire. Not so much for the Teflon insulation but for the silver plating.

• The most affordable and slightly simpler to make (crimping wise and heat shrink/strain relief wise) will be standard PVC coated copper wire.
Both are EQUALLY functional.

This thread is NOT really about saving $’s. It’s about making the best, longest lasting and electrically cleanest harness I can.

6. This is the most important…. “DISCLAIMER”:
This thread will be as much about “how to crimp” as it is about finding materials and parts as it is about actually BUILDING the harness.

Part of the issues we have with crimping is that the connectors we will be using originally had very specific and/or slightly unique factory dies. For some of these like the component end female connectors, the dies we can get for our manual crimper frames are close enough that it does not matter very much.
One of the big differences is that while sections of the dies we will have are correctly shaped, the spacing/length/width will not be identical to the original dies used.
This means that some of these terminals may have to be a “two-step” crimp. You might need to crimp/set the strain relief first then do the main barrel crimp. As long as you use the crimpers correctly, size the wires correctly etc., they will look and work like factory.

But we have to lay out the crimping method first. We will do that in the crimping section later
Sorry for the length of this preamble!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tools, Connectors and wire (in that order):

Tools:

Crimper tool pliers/frame: Try not to just buy the absolute cheapest crimper frame. What you buy should fit the Paladin/Greenlee dies because those are some of the better consumer level dies. I can find new Paladin 1300 series or Greenlee compound crimper handle/frames in the $60 range. I find lightly used ones on Ebay for $35.

Pro’s-kit/Lunar brand are good as well. There are a few more brands. Even the Harbor Freight tool is fairly good but whatever you buy, it must be a compound crimper, it should fit Paladin/Greenlee dies and have a crimp depth adjusting wheel secured by a screw.

Crimper dies: You need dies that fit the Paladin 8000 and 1300 series crimper frames. The Paladin/Greenlee 2096 and 2097 dies are mostly what I am using here. If you can afford only one get the 2096. It will allow you to do the standard size terminals that connect to relays and grounds and does a decent job in the smallest die cavity with the EFI terminals but it takes a little work and a double crimp.

If you can’t get the 2096 get the 2033. The 2033 is basically the 2096 with one more die cavity that is larger so you can use it on some of the normal female terminals under your hood.
Also, differences in the 2096 and 2033 are that the 2096 is a metric size die. More on this in the crimping section.

If you can afford two die sets get both the 2097 which is dedicated to the EFI terminals and either a 2096 or 2033. If you can afford three die sets then you should also get all three.

Bear this in mind, outside of the normal sized terminals we find in our chassis harness and fuse block, none of the hand crimper frames of virtually any “common” brand are exactly correct for connectors for the fuel injection system. Used properly though….they are good enough.

There are also other brands of tools (some of which were actually used in the factory and repair shops) that are more precise, more exact and better. But for the extreme cost, for building 1 or 2 harnesses that will be nearly factory perfect, they are NOT better enough to be worth the cost.

Wire stripper:
This is a critical tool. Don’t strip your wire ends by hand or with pliers. We are trying to be as professional as possible.

Use a wire stripper and not pliers or a box knife. No matter how good you are it usually damages the wire.

I already owned the Ideal model 45-292 wire stripper. It’s a pretty good tool (Home Depot and Lowes for $32). It will do most everything “non metric” and a few metric within its size range which is 10-22 AWG. It does everything except Teflon coated wire. In a pinch it will work fine if it’s all you have,
If you do not have a wire stripper and need to shop for one for this project….DO NOT buy this tool or one that is similar in function to it. There are better tools for the same price.

When I started looking around in the world of wire strippers I found MUCH better tools. I recommend 100% - 100% - 100%!! buying the Knipex model 12-62-180. It is FAR, FAR better than the Ideal model I listed above. There are numerous Knipex models and most are more expensive than this. Do not get lost in the wide range of Knipex models unless you plan to also use the stripper for much larger wires or solid core wires.

The differences in the other more expensive Knipex models that look very similar are usually that it strips a wider range of wire sizes. This one I am recommending does 10-24AWG. What few wires I have in my car that are larger or smaller are so few that I can handle them.

The Knipex has an adjustable stop for setting stripping pressure so you do not damage the wire and has an adjustable depth stop to always strip the exact same amount from each wire. It does it effortlessly. It is also instantly self-adjusting to wire gauge.

It’s made in Germany and is on Amazon for ~$38-$45. It’s a bargain. The next strippers up from Knipex are $110 and $150-ish respectively that work from about 8AWG down to about 30AWG.

Why buy this tool and not the other “type”?

The difference in the ideal stripper (and any brand that is similar to it of which there are many) is that you have to select a hole in the die plate that closely matches the wire/insulation you are working with.

When you squeeze the handles the wire is gripped by the closing jaws and pulled through the sharp die. However, there are many wires that are not standard in their insulation thickness or hardness. This is why the Ideal stripper has issues with Teflon coated wire.

So, although it WILL strip Teflon coated wire, you need to select the die hole one wire gauge smaller than what your wire is. It does not strip quite as clean because it scrapes the wire bundle and scars the silver plating. If you are not using plated or tinned wire it’s not a HUGE problem (but it is a problem). But if you are using plated wire, this is the problem:

This is 18 AWG silver plated Teflon coated wire stripped through the Knipex. Notice that the helical twist is still there and there are no nicks on the wire strands or plating.

This is the same wire stripped through the Ideal tool. While it did not break any strands, it gouged them slightly and stretched and unwound the helical twist. Not great.

“Bald” pliers: Go to wall mart or probably even Harbor Freight. Look in the arts and crafts section for jewelry and “bead craft” tools. For about $4 they sell small needle nose pliers that have no serrations or teeth on the jaws. Get a pair.

Hemostats: Go to Harbor freight and buy a pair of the small ones. They are 3.5” and are item 99931. About $4

Scissors: Do not skimp on these. Buy what I tell you to! You will not be sorry! Very Happy
ESPECIALLY if you are recycling ECU connectors and will be using special pigtail splices. You will need the scissors for them.

Go to any store that carries Fiskars scissors. You want the Fiskars 1905001001 Softouch Scissors, 5 in. You can get them on Amazon or at Walmart for about $16. There are several models of this exact shape of scissors. The differences from model to model are great but irrelevant for this usage. It’s the handle and blade form and function we want so buy whichever you like or can best afford. They will all work.

You will use them for thousands of things later on but they work perfectly for what I will show you later. I carry a set everywhere for work.

They look like this. They are only 5” long and razor sharp and high leverage. They are perfect for cutting connectors off of reel strips and trimming butt/pigtail connectors. You will see why you need them later.

Dremel tool: Any variable speed Dremel tool. You also need cut of wheels and a mandrel, preferably not the fiberglass backed ones.

The Dremel is primarily required if you are going to reuse your old ECU terminals by either method I outline.
The rest of the tools are various picks, knives and tools you already have. Nothing special.

Most VW owners who work on their own car will probably have the Dremel, the Hemostats and probably even a small pair of bald needle nosed pliers but the rest is what you probably need to buy. If you already own better tools that are still correct…good deal! But these are the minimum high quality and the cheapest.

$66 for the crimper (could be as low as $35)
$35-$45 for a die set
$45-ish for the wire stripper
$16 for the scissors
Not including any shipping, you are at $15-ish for tools….all of which can be reused for many things on your car or elsewhere. If you do not want to invest this, then buy your harness from one of the aforementioned gentlemen.

Connectors and plugs:

Connectors:

Let’s start with the hardest ones to get first:

1. The “Y” card edge fork connectors for the ECU: If you have access to new connectors you will need to stay close to the stock wire DIAMETER to properly crimp them.

Notice I did NOT say gauge. I mean actual SIZE/diameter.

The factory harnesses have roughly 2-4 distinct wire outer diameters spanning only two actual “gauges”. We will discuss actual wire “gauge” later.
Many of you may not be able to get new connectors, depending on when you read this and when you finally start your build. I recommend buying some of these NOW, long before you need them and while they are available.

Don’t worry, I will also be showing two different methods of recycling your original ECU connectors. Both will look and function like factory new terminals. Even if you can get new terminals and plan to use them, DO NOT throw away your old terminals. They will be worth gold in the future when there are no more NEW terminals to be found.

I’m lucky happen to have ONE whole set of new original ones. Exactly 25 of the original part #. I got them 23 years ago. 18-20 wire gauge, tin plated connectors.

This is my whole stash of Amp 583362-2 original tin plated 18-20 AWG connectors I got as a sample from AMP. There are 25 of them. All of your connectors, even the female ones will come on “sprues” or reels like this one when you buy them from TE Connectivity/AMP or Digikey or Mouser. They are in this form to load automatic crimping machines in the factory.

There is currently only one LIVE part # for this part that I can find that is available to buy in small quantities. I will highlight that part # below. They are not the exact correct wire size but will work with careful crimping and wire sizing. GET THEM NOW while you still can!

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES about the “Y fork” ECU board connectors:

Google search these part numbers for these “Y” fork connectors often. They were probably not only used on the D-jet system. You might get lucky. You need a bare minimum of 25 connectors. 22 of them will actually be used in the harness with three left over to practice setting up the crimper. Personally, I would get extras because some wire crimpers require more set up practice crimps.

These are listed by TE-Connectivity (TE-Connectivity is Tyco-AMP as “board-to-board” wire connectors.

Back in the 60’s, 70’s and maybe even 80’s, these connectors might also have been used to plug onto a double sided rigid circuit board in something like a large computer enclosure or server or inside of industrial equipment and plug onto another double sided board via a harness. There is no telling what else these connectors may have been used on or for how long.
I have also found an identical connector made by a different company in Europe I am exploring. More on this much later.

Back around 1999-2000, Tyco would not sell these parts even though they had more than 25,000 in stock. They were proprietary to VW/Robert Bosch. They would send you a free sample of about 25 of them…LOL…enough to build a harness. I did this twice! Things have changed since 2000.
They will sell these parts now. But some part #’s they will sell only in high quantity.
TE-Connectivity/Amp-Tyco can and will still manufacture these terminals. However, somewhere around 25,000 to 50,000 is the minimum quantity for order.
The reason why you need to keep searching and pay attention is that with various part #’s and various stocking dealers, things come and go.
When you Google search these terminals and end up at TE-connectivity, Digi-Key, Mouser or other electronic materials sites, pay attention to all the page details. If the page has notes like “see also” or “related part numbers” …..CLICK ON THOSE LINKS!

There are actually several part numbers of these connectors. Some of them are the same connector with different attributes, most of which can work fine for our application.

Those in our systems were Tin plated. There are also selectively gold plated terminals. Still others that I have just recently found are bare phosphor bronze (ours are tin plated phosphor bronze). This last one can be taken to a local plating house and either Tin or Nickel plated.

In short, once you start figuring out the part number codes and you see that across a range of 3-4 different plating schemes and 2-3 different wire sizes that there were quite a few permutations made of these “Y” fork connectors back in the day you may find them at other sites. At some level all but one of them can be made to work.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you find any of these terminals made of bare copper or phosphor bronze (or any electronic crimp terminal for that matter) you should not use them until they are plated. Brass is fine….but bare copper and phosphor bronze are not.

Why?

Because copper oxidizes, and as the oxide/tarnish approaches the level of “dark penny” color, the surface conductivity drops like mad. It becomes higher in resistance. As the oxide color approaches dusty white or green it becomes totally NON-CONDUCTIVE.

This very reason is why bare copper connectors are not allowed to be used in mission-critical aerospace electronics or in medical device electronics where a failure can cause dropping out of the sky or death. All copper terminals have to be plated. All copper wires have to have sheathing. All copper circuit traces must be laminated (like Kapton) or have laminated or liquid conformal coating.

ECU “Y Fork” part # list (active and inactive):

The board-to-board/wire to board “Y Fork” connector part # list:

This is the unplated connector. 20 – 18 AWG Wire Size, 1021 – 1624 CMA Wire Size, .52 – .79 mm² Wire Size, Unplated, Reel, Wire & Cable, 5 A. Non-stock but can be made in high quantity.

This is the part # that I have. Centerline/itch-3.96mm/ tin plated/ 20-18AWG- wire size: 0.5-0.9mm2 non-stock but can be made in high quantity.

Centerline pitch-3.96mm/gold plated/24-20AWG-wire size: 0.2-0.6mm2 non-stock

Centerline pitch-3.96mm/gold plated/24-20AWG-wire size: 0.2-0.6mm2 in stock but minimum order is over 25,000 parts.

Centerline pitch-3.96mm/tin plated/24-20AWG- wire size: 0.2-0.6mm2 non-stock

Centerline pitch-3.96mm/gold plated/24-20AWG- wire size 0.2-0.6mm2 IN STOCK
This one above is in stock! You can only buy them in minimum quantity/groups of 60 and they are selectively gold plated and ~46 cents each! BUY THEM NOW! I just bought 120 of them for $55.

Centerline pitch-3.96mm/gold plated/24-20AWG- wire size 0.2-0.6mm2 non-stock.

These seven part #’s are probably not the only ones that have ever been made but they are the only ones I have found so far. Somewhere you will also probably find connectors that are made for double wire connections.

A question that you are probably asking:
Most of these part #’s look the same and have the same specifications so why are they different part numbers? It’s because not all of the specifications are listed in those “snap shots”.

On the actual Tyco/Amp blueprint attached to each of the pictures above, what I usually find is that the variations are a difference in plating thickness of tin or gold or complete plating versus selective/spot plating or the spacing of each part on the reel strip designed to fit different automatic crimping machines in the factory or in some cases even loose parts designed for hand crimping in repair facilities.

Every tiny change gets a new part # on the blueprint.

When we get to crimping and wire sizing there will be more about these connectors.

New style component end plugs and female connectors:

I will NOT be using the original D-jet female connectors and plugs.

Depending on where you buy your plugs, what I am about to show could cost you a little bit. You can still find them in the junkyard for cheap if the right cars can be found.

Because of the efforts of Brad Cushman (his handle in the forums is cushjbc), a Mercedes D-jet guy, in steering me toward an AMP plug body that fits our components but uses a modern EV-1 style “dual cantilever” terminal (just like L-jet, Digifant and all modern injection) we will have to make sure that the wire we choose fits the crimp barrel and strain relief of our new terminals.
These plugs were used on a variety of cars.
Here is Brad Cushman’s quote from a thread on the “Benz-World” forums:
Quote:
“I harvested connectors from mid '90's Audis, Volvos, V-6 Saabs and V-6 Saturn’s. The Audi ones are the most versatile because they can be separated from their housings (pink plugs in the pictures). These connectors are rectangular and fit snug in our injectors and start valve. They require a little Dremel work to fit our air temp and coolant temp sensors.”

These are the plugs Brad sent me. A fantastic gift! They will do a whole harness for me and I have collected some more two pole plugs brand new for cheap that KTPhil turned me on to. I have also found vendors that sell the 3, 4 and 5 wire plugs.

Here is a thread in the type 3 fuel injection forums with a LOT of information on these plugs from Brad Cushman ….cubjbc…and others:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8805033
The whole purpose of these “New” plugs is to be able to use the modern ‘L-jet/EV-1” style of female connector. This connector is FAR superior to our original ones.

Where to buy these female plugs as of March 2023:

Note: you can see them offered new as complete plugs or as parts new and used on Ebay.

The VW/Audi part #’s and AMP part #’s:

Two pin plug:
VW part #: 443 906 232 Amp part #: 928517 $19.11 each
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/2-pin-connector-priced-each/443906232/

Here is an Ebay link that KTPhil turned me onto. The two pin plugs are $3.38 each. I bought 12 of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295284857229?hash=item44c...R7zZoszLYQ

Three pin plug:
VW part #: 443 906 233 AMP part #: 929553 $27.09 each
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/knock-sensor-connector-female/443906233/

Four pin plug:
VW part # 443 906 234 AMP part #: 962444 $24.48 each
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/4-pin-connector-priced-each/4a0906234/

Five pin plug:
VW part #: 443 906 325 AMP part # 929555 $15.16 each (I just bought two of these as a spare 3-28-2023)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203960094329
https://7zap.com/en/part/VAG/443906235/ they have all of them but I do not know about ordering safety on this site.

This is a fantastic site for all things connectors.. When in doubt send them a picture and they can probably find it.
https://connectorexperts.com/?matchtype=p&netw...YHEALw_wcB

IMPORTANT NOTES about the new plugs:

NOTE 1: Bear in mind that unless you are buying actual VW/Audi/Skoda/Mercedes stock plugs or using them from the salvage yard, most of what you will buy are re-pops made in who knows where and have very slight differences in plastic and color.
The “non AMP” made re-pops seem to be slightly crispier/more brittle. They function just fine. They also have some different surface features to fit numerous outer plug body types.

NOTE 2: When you start searching for them just use the part numbers and spend some time on Google. They are out there for better prices than I have listed here. Try the AMP/Tyco part #’s as well.

Right now, for what I can find from on-line vendors today (4-16-2023) without jumping through hoops, a set of these to replace all of your plugs in your system if you are using a four pin TVS…will cost about $75 and maybe a little shipping. But they will come with new female terminals to crimp onto your wires. Not having to buy the terminals separately from Digi-Key or Tyco will save you about $25.

How these female connectors and plugs work compared to the originals and what you need to do with them to install:

Old female connectors vs new- why we want to change the old connectors.

The rolled side sections “ACT” like springs to grip the male pins. However, they are not made of “spring material” so they expand and contract and get loose. They also get loose due to vibration.
A common maintenance task on D-jet cars to keep them running solid is to release each terminal from its plug one by one every few years to use a small pair of pliers to squeeze the rolled sides to insure they are tight and then clean and replace them in the plugs.

Typically, tightening connectors means that you need to tweak/tighten the width between the two side rolls (left picture) and then squeeze the rolled sides themselves to tighten the clap on the male pin. (sorry for the bad pictures).

The L-jet style/EV-1 connectors we want to change to actually have flat leaf springs built in for constant tension on the male pin. Vibration and heat cycling have no effect on their connectivity. This is called a “dual cantilever connector”.

The pink/purple plugs we are moving to are the only ones we have found that both fit our D-jet components (with a very small amount of clearance work) and are made to use the L-jet/EV-1 style of dual cantilever connector.

Modifying the new plugs to fit our D-jet components:

You will see looking at the new pink/purple plugs that they have various lugs, tabs and guides molded into them to allow them to lock into the plug bodies they were designed for.
All but one or two of these features will be outside of the parts we will be plugging them into and have no effect on our D-jet components.

As an example, this is the two pin plug, AMP part # 928517 and VW part # 443 906 232. The one the left is the newer, cheaper Asian re-pop. You can see the difference in surface/mold quality and also the extra/different locking lugs.

This is the other side. While they look similar there are a couple of features especially on the “re-pop” that will need to be removed.

Before we get into that, here is a quick historical recap of how this plug system works in modern cars. This system moves right into L-jet cars with no issues.

Here is the empty new female plug body showing the nice silicone gasket.

Here it is with the female plug sliding in from the backside.

Here it is with the female plug all the way in at which point it snaps into a locking lug. These are also very easy to remove the way they went in with a pick.

From the front, ready to go. Quite a nice system actually but we will only be using the pink plugs.

To work for our components, one or two lugs/features on each of the pink plug parts should be ground/sanded off as they will be in the way.

Also, these following parts do not have the locating bevel and do not require grinding the angles on the sides:

• Fuel Injectors
• Cold start injector

These following parts DO have a locating bevel and DO require grinding the angles on the sides:

• TS-1
• Trigger points
• MPS
• TVS
Some light sanding with a Dremel will fix all of these issues.

The plastic used (polypropylene) is too slick to use a file. It needs to be ground or sanded. If you have a milling machine, of course these can be machined with a sharp cutter but that is just not necessary.
Diamond files and stones work fine but the very best tool I have found so far is a Dremel tool with either a Dremel 8153 aluminum oxide stone or a Dremel 454 aluminum oxide stone.

These bits are both 3/16” in diameter. The 454 is actually a chainsaw sharpening stone. You want the small diameter with the lowest rpm you can manage to be controllable for putting the bevels on the plug edges where they are needed and for removing a couple of the small lugs we do not need.

I also use either a sanding block with about 280 grit or even better a few seconds on an oscillating tool on low with ~280 grit to smooth the larger flat areas that I may have taken down a little and left chatter marks with the Dremel bit.

Not to get into every single plug, you will see what you need when they are in your hand, but here are some measurements to help you understand what little needs to be done.

So, we already know that the original stock Nylon plugs fit everything they need to. We just need to match that. I measured a 4-pin and a 2-pin of each type to show what dimensions need to be changed.

Taking the thicker of the two original Nylon plugs (they all vary a little) and subtracting from the thicker of the two pink ones, we need to remove an average of 0.023”. It sounds like a lot but it really is not. We can see that the width is just fine. All of the pink plugs whether they are 2, 3, 4 or 5 pin have good width and just need to have the thickness reduced slightly and bevels put on certain parts.

The two pin pink plugs actually measure a maximum of 0.235” thick because they have this narrow raised rib that is ~0.016” high. On the AMP manufactured pink plug this was only a 0.001” high mold mark. It needs to be removed.

IMPORTANT:

Try not to grind or sand excessively on the side of the pink plug with the moveable flap that covers the wires which is the side opposite from where the connector release lug holes are….unless you need to, to remove a feature like the guide strip on the two-pin plug shown in that last picture.

So, on the two-pin plug, if you have to grind to remove that 0.016” strip you might as well finish all of your sanding on that side.

Even though we do not require that flap and I may end up removing them, I am trying to only grind one side for the most part.

As I noted, I am not going to get deeply into the sanding to fit of the plugs. Once you have them in your hand and a selection of your old parts to check the fit, it will be obvious what you need to sand/grind. I mainly just wanted to show the tools I found to work the best.

A gallery of my sanding work:

I did this one completely on the oscillating tool. While it is easy to control for the sanding/thickness adjustment, its not great for the bevel. I works ok but the Dremel is better for the bevel.

The next one I did was a two pin plug which was sanded on the oscillating tool and then beveled with the Dremel.

The white flashing dusts right off. I used the Dremel tool with a nylon brush wheel and it cleaned right up.

Boots for all plugs and stock D-jet nylon female plugs and connectors:

I am only going to list a few resources for the stock plugs and female terminals. There is a lot of this out there and this harness build thread is mainly about new plugs and terminals. I will update this segment as we go along.
These guys have re-pro boots and plugs (in the UK):
https://www.djetparts.com/english?lang=en

These guys have 2-pin plugs for a decent price
https://www.stockwiseauto.com/standard-motor-produ...14QAvD_BwE

PMB Performance (excellent shop) has repro boots and complete new 914 D-jet Harnesses.
https://pmbperformance.com/search?q=D-jet

Auto Atlanta has two and four pin plugs and boots. If you call they can probably get 3 and 5 pin as well.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/accessori...ND-SYSTEMS

Which wire to buy? What goes into wire selection?

If we were engineers designing an actual “NEW” wiring harness for a new application, there would be a LOT more that goes into selecting what wire type and size we will use.
However, I can guarantee you that even just duplicating the stock ~50 year old harnesses with no changes in wire gauge, virtually any standard automotive hook up wire with basic PVC insulation will have better voltage and current capabilities than what was used in our original system simply because it has better insulation quality and manufacturing standards.

First, about “stranded wire” in general:

This next information may seem to be presented out of order and should probably be presented in the “crimping” section and will be again.
But this information ALSO affects what wire you buy to a certain degree.

Questions to ask/answer:

Question: Why do we use stranded wire?

Answer: Because stranded wire is much more flexible and less brittle
The tradeoff for this flexibility is that a solid wire of any particular gauge, let’s say 18 AWG for this example, can/will be smaller in diameter than a stranded one.

This is because to achieve the same cross section in “circular mils” as a solid wire core, you will require a larger diameter stranded wire bundle. You will need more strands or thicker strands.
This is because in a stranded wire cross section, not all of each wire strands touches all of the other wire strands. There are small air spaces between them. This affects the total current it can carry.

In AC power, a large portion of the conductivity of a wire is due to the “skin effect” of electrons traveling around the outside of the wire. The “SKIN EFFECT” is an AC power phenomena. As the pulse frequency increases there is more and more tendency for the power to flow around the outside of the wire and generate RF interference (common in devices with antennas).

There is a lot more to the “skin effect” I am not getting into here. These illustrations come from this page and this a very short and interesting read.
https://edisontechcenter.org/wires.html

However, DC power like ours has its own variant/issue….sometimes wrongly described as similar to the “skin effect” of AC. With DC wires, the electrons travel through entire cross section of the wire.

Actually, in DC power electricity travels through the entire cross section of a solid wire. In our case it travels through the entire cross section of each individual STRAND of wire.

In DC, the issue is NOT power traveling around the outside of the wire strand bundle like it can in AC, it’s an issue of not all of the strands fully touching each other in the bundle. When the power gets high enough and the strands are small enough, they can get HOT if they cannot more easily transfer and share the electrical load with the other strands.

This is about strand/bundle compaction.

The final note in this example is that the diameter of a solid core 18 AWG wire (just the copper and not the outer insulation) is ~0.0403”.

The core diameter of the stock harness 18 AWG wires (which are not really 18 AWG but are actually metric 1.2mm) is right at 0.04720”. The closest AWG size to this is 16.5 AWG with a wire core of 0.0480”. That means the stranded wire OD is bigger than the solid core wire OD.

The OD is important because it affects how the strain relief crimps and the ID affects how the main crimp barrel ring crimps. This is important because you can buy any gauge of wire with the exact correct gauge, number of wire strands and the same strand diameter that you are looking for and find that its OD is either much larger or smaller than what you are trying to replace because it has a thicker or thinner insulation spec.

Why all of this is related to crimping:

1. Because in stranded wires, air and moisture can get into those spaces/gaps between wire strands especially right at the cut end of the wire where it is crimped to the terminal. Back inside the wire along its length, although there may be space between strands, there may be little or no oxygen or moisture (yet).

So, we want to compress the cut end of the wire at the connector terminal to squeeze out all air and moisture (to prevent corrosion) and compact the strands into a SOLID wire for better overall conductivity at the crimped terminal.

See the gaps between strands? Yes, this is totally different wire size than what we use but it is a good visual illustration.

This is what we are trying to do with crimping. This is a microscope cross section of a crimp band on an open barrel crimp terminal like ours. With proper crimping we are squeezing the air out and bringing all of the wire strands into maximum contact with each other. It’s said to be hermetically sealed.

NOTE: when you get to the crimping section there will be a link to the single page site where this photo came from. I urge you to spend five minutes and read that and look at all of the pictures so you can see just how intricate and critical crimping is.

Wire types:

There are really only two wire types you “should” be searching for. First, DO NOT buy wire listed as copper “alloy” wire. Copper alloy wire has higher tensile strength and corrosion protection but is less conductive than pure copper. It’s not what you want. You want pure copper wire.

1. The original factory type of wire which is PVC jacketed, un-plated, bare copper.

Advantages:
• Cheap and easy to find high quality wire with a variety of outer sheathing thicknesses within the same gauge rating. Meaning, you can find a thin or thick wall sheathing if needed.
• Very flexible.

Disadvantages:
• Without a plating on the copper strands, it is susceptible to tarnish/oxidization from oxygen between the wire strands at the crimp (If your crimping is not correct) and the resistance will rise and connectivity will decrease over time.

• With age the PVC sheathing will harden and eventually crack just like the original stock wiring. Where the insulation gets scraped or cracks from age the resistance will rise and connectivity will decrease.

• The PVC sheathing has a lower temperature, solvent and oil resistance than Teflon but is good enough for our use if you are careful.

These disadvantages may seem small seeing as the stock harnesses with PVC and bare copper functioned well for the better part of 40+ years. However, I would rather make something longer lasting if I can because in 15 years, the crimp terminals someone will need (whether it’s you or the next owner) will be unobtanium (even more so than they are now).

These disadvantages can be gotten around if you seal each crimp with a circuit board varnish, then properly heat shrink and sheath as much of the wire loom as possible.

There is nothing wrong at all with unplated/PVC clad copper wire.

2. Teflon Jacketed, silver plated copper wire:

Advantages:

• The silver plating prevents loss of connectivity through oxidization from leakage at the crimp. Silver oxide/tarnish remains highly conductive. Tarnished copper can become a non-conductor.

• Silver plating creates lower resistance and higher connectivity through better conductivity of plating on the wire strands. This is that pseudo DC power effect similar to the “skin effect”.

• The outer sheathing will never get any stiffer or crack because of age or heat or chemicals.

• Because of the above attributes, in most cases you can safely use a smaller wire diameter on some of the higher amperage terminals with no issues in our harnesses.
So instead of the stock mixture of 18 AWG and 20 AWG you can use all 20 AWG. Using a smaller gauge will also help with crimping the newer types of terminals, many of which are designed for 20 gauge wires or 18 gauge wires with thinner insulation.

Disadvantages:

• Except for very specialized wire types, silver plated copper can only be found with Teflon insulation. These are slightly stiffer wires than PVC (vinyl) that came from the factory

• The Teflon insulation is prone to cracking/crushing right at the strain relief if the crimp depth is not correct.

• Because of the lower flexibility of the insulation, all crimped connectors SHOULD use one or more layers of heat shrink that spans across the strain relief. You do not want to repeatedly bend the Teflon insulation at the strain relief. Make the heat shrink tubing the actual strain relief, not the wire core or the Teflon insulation.

• It’s more expensive than vinyl coated/non silver plated wire.
In a perfect world, if I could find PVC coated, silver plated copper wire I would use it. It is softer, more flexible and a little less work to crimp.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT WIRE PLATING:

There are many kinds of plated wire. DO NOT use Tin plated wire or Nickel plated wire. Tin plated copper is the most common. It has very good long term corrosion capabilities. Nickel plated wire has even higher corrosion resistance (the highest) along with much higher temperature capability than bare copper. But there are issues with tin and nickel plating on wire.

The conductivity issues between wire plating types:

• The Tin plating on copper wire only conducts 15% as well as bare copper (so it has 85% less surface conductivity than bare copper)

• The Nickel plating on copper wire only conducts 25% as well as bare copper (so it has 75% less surface conductivity than bare copper)

• Silver plating on copper wire conducts 106% as well as bare copper ( so it has 6% greater conductivity than bare copper wire).

This is not saying that Tin and Nickel plated wire does not conduct high voltages, its saying that they have very slightly higher resistance connections at crimps and solder junctions and are not as clean for sending millivolt sensitive, low voltage signal as bare copper or silver plated copper.
This means that there is a higher loss rate of voltage and signal (potential).

Wire gauge and voltage/amperage capability:

Selecting the right gauge of wire with the right insulation thickness.
Wire electrical capability/spec: This is a critical detail.

I have already “safely” made a D-jet harness out of 22AWG wire. I said safely in quotes because I do not have complete evidence that this is COMPLETELY safe to the system, VERY long term.
I ran my 22AWG harness for maybe 70k miles over 2 years and never had an issue and it ran perfectly.

Is this because all of my connections were very clean and my voltage was very stable?

Or is this because of the wire strand size I used (it was 7 strands of 0.096”/30.5 AWG each)?

Or did I just get lucky? Laughing

Or has there been heat damage to components inside of my ECU that I may never know about until it suddenly dies?

By the way, that 22AWG wire, because of the strand count and gauge was rated at 300 volts and 10 amps. That’s lower voltage than the 600 volts than the 18 and 20 gauge wires are rated at, but its higher AMPERAGE than some of the 18 and 20 gauge wires. But, it was a bit of a pain to properly crimp on the small ECU terminal barrels. There are many ways to approach wire sizing.

Learning from smarter people than myself (especially with regard to what’s happening inside the D-jet ECU) I will never purposely use wire that under sized to build a harness again. It was simply all I could quickly get at the time.

Are we that worried about wire gauge?

There are certain wires in the factory harness that are 18 AWG on purpose (so I learned later). In the wire gauge and length chart coming up, you will see that components that pull higher amperage will be 18 AWG (injectors, voltage relays and grounds).
Anything else that simply carries low volts/amps or carry just signal (TS1, TS2, trigger points, TVA and MPS) are fine with 20AWG.

If you look up the amperage draw of low impedance “peak and hold” style injectors, most on-line sources rate them at ~5-6 amps. From D-jet knowledgeable sources I will list later, D-jet ECU’s have a component that limits the amperage to the injector driver to 1.6 amps. However, the components that do this work can get hot trying to do so.

I am grossly simplifying here!

It’s even harder on these ECU parts if your input voltage is low (because that causes amperage to rise) or if your wires are too small.

My point:

I would say you could be perfectly safe using a modern, very low resistance wire whether its Teflon covered, silver plated copper) or unplated copper with PVC jacketing using all 20 AWG or all 18 AWG. Or you can just continue them mixed like factory.

The other item to note is that the “voltage” limitation of a wire size has more to do with its insulation thickness, whereas its amperage limitation is in the metal or conductor cross section.

Example: in the Teflon coated/silver plated copper wires, you have three common specs:
For 18 AWG:
Type E (standard insulation thickness): Nominal OD of 0.058” to 0.062” ~ 600 volts capability
Type EE (extra thick insulation): Nominal OD of 0.066” ~ 1000 volts capability
Type ET (extra thin insulation) : Nominal OD of 0.050” ~250 volts capability.

The E is normal insulation thickness. The EE is thicker and the ET is thinner. The wire core is all the same.

The ET spec is the most flexible but is very thin and much smaller in total OD and “may” have issues with the strain relief of our terminals. The EE is closest to stock.
The E is most commonly available and will probably be what I will use. It’s the most common you will also find in 20 AWG at McMaster Carr. Look at the product detail and specifications and you will see “Type E” and OD is listed as 0.060”. It is also listed at 8 amps @ 600 volts.

Those amperage ratings are actually LESS than the standard unplated PVC/copper wire. This is because the actual strand diameter is also very slightly thinner to account for plating so that the total wire core bundle will fit within the advertised gauge.

Example (From McMaster Carr):

18 AWG- unplated copper 16/30 stranding/ PVC sheathing = 300 volts @ 18 amps and 86°F.
20 AWG- unplated copper 10/30 stranding/ PVC sheathing = 300 volts @ 13 amps and 86°F.
18 AWG- silver plated copper 19/30 stranding/PTFE sheathing = 600 volts @ 12 amps and 86° F
20 AWG- silver plated copper 19/32 stranding/PTFE sheathing = 600 volts @ 8 amps and 86° F

The silver plated copper has a higher voltage rating due to more strands and the silver plating but has lower amperage rating due to smaller diameter strands.

All of these can handle any of the circuits in our EFI systems.
So do not get hung up on the voltage. Look at the amperage!

OK, based on all of that, what’s minimum wire gauge we “SHOULD” use?
Let’s do some calculating here:

There is a lot I do NOT know that others like Brad Anders DO know. But, if each injector driver is limited by the ECU to 1.6 amps and each pair has separate drivers but they are triggered at the same time, I am going to assume for the moment an amperage draw of a minimum of 1.6 amps X 2 = 3.2 amps. Let’s give that a 25% margin and it comes out to 4.8 amps capability. Let’s call it 5 amps just for some extra margin.

According to more knowledgeable people, we should be getting 13.6 volts to the system while running. This is limited at the ECU to 12.9. There is a line drop or loss to ~12.7 volts. Let’s call this a drop of 1.55%. We could expand that to 2%.

Our maximum 18 AWG wire length in the system (for the two and four door short harness) is ~ 75 inches.

We need these numbers so bear with me!

Here is a fantastic calculator site for wire gauge and current. This is from “Wire Barn”
https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Example: So, I am trying to find out using this calculator whether going to all 20 AWG instead of a mixture of 18 AWG and 20 AWG will carry the amperage required, at the voltage we have across the maximum wire length I will be using.

The given #’s are:
12.7 V
4 amps
6.5 feet
2% drop

This calculator says no.

The 20AWG will only work for 4 amps out to 5.91 feet. But this calculator does not allow me to plug in 12.7 volts. Only 12 volt or 13.8 volts. That difference alone is huge. It also does not allow me to plug in 1.55% drop which is why I rounded it to 2%.

But, after reading this site, they say a 5% drop is most common in automotive wiring. Let’s try that. And just for giggles, lets increase amperage to the rounded up 5 amps.

So yes, there should be no problems using all 20 AWG for this harness. Also, this is not even taking into account using silver plated copper. You could even probably make this harness out of 22 AWG like I have done.

But, from reading some of the really detailed D-jet work by Brand Anders, as each injector field collapses as the injector is shut off, there is a negative voltage inductive spike that is formed that can go as high as -27 volts. I have not calculated what that may or may not do.

Let’s keep this sane.

Most of the system is already 20 AWG. It looks like we can safely make all of it 20 AWG. There is no reason to play with anything smaller.

These are the existing wire sizes and lengths in our D-jet system:

I measured the wires coming from the ECU plugs of five D-jet harnesses. These are the wire lengths from sedan harnesses. I have one complete wagon harness that I hate to cut up to measure but I will if no one else can.

Important wire shopping rule:

DO NOT buy wire from anyone sight unseen unless you can either get specs of what you are buying (OD, strand count, strand diameter and maybe bare wire bundle diameter, information on plating and outer sheathing….or….if you can get a sample to measure these details for yourself.

Important wire specification and terminology notes:

The specification of “AWG”…written like 18 AWG…. is actually NOT for use with stranded wires. We use it and get away with it but it is NOT totally correct and can cause you to buy wire that may be correct in SPECIFICATION but NOT in actual SIZE required to fit our terminals.

AWG or “American wire gauge” is for solid core wire specification. Our wire (stranded wire) will be properly written like this for example:
18AWG 24/36. This is a very common 18AWG that most people replace their harness wires with. It is not EXACTLY like our harness wire because the factory wire was METRIC.

The 18AWG is what we know and want. The 24 means the core bundle has 24 strands and the 36 means that the diameter of the strands is 36AWG.
What does that mean?

It means you need to go to a good wire chart like this one:

https://powerwerx.com/help/wire-gauge-awg-referenc...he%20cable

And…..scroll down until the 36AWG is in the far left hand column. The first column to the right is the diameter of that 36AWG wire. Like this:

But, in reality, the original VW EFI harness wires that were “approximately” 18 AWG have 24 strands each of which are actually 0.0075” in diameter.
So, scroll up a little to 32 AWG to 32.5 AWG to find the exact factory diameter.
So, the original factory 18 gauge wires were ~18AWG 24/32. The original 20AWG wires had the same strand diameter and only 16 strands so they were 20AWG 16/32

Now you know something important about the wire you are shopping for to replace the factory wire.

In a nutshell here are the “crude” outside diameter measurements of the wire diameters I found across numerous factory harnesses:

0.075” to ~0.078” (~20 AWG)
0.086” to ~0.090” (~18 AWG)
0.081” no variation (~18 AWG)
0.090” no variation (~18AWG)

BUT, among all of these wires there are only two real “gauges”. There are 18AWG and 20AWG wires. They both have 0.0075 to 0.008” wire strand diameters but the 20 AWG wires have 16 strands and the 18 AWG wires have 24 strands.

Though I use the term/standard “AWG” (American Wire Gauge) none of these wires are “AWG”.

They are a near equivalent metric gauge. The 20 gauge wires actually work out to right at 21 AWG” or 21 SWG or nearly 0.8mm to 0.85mm metric. The 18 gauge wires are right at 18.5 AWG (and there actually is an 18.5 AWG) or right at 0.95mm gauge.

The critical detail is this:

Whether we get the wire gauge exact to what factory used (metric and not simple to find) or slightly larger AWG is not the ONLY worry. We have to ALSO make sure that the outer diameter meaning inner wire core gauge AND the outer insulation thickness COMBINED, must fit the strain relief of the terminals we are using or there will be crimping problems.

End of part 1:
Next part is recycling methods for ECU connectors and crimping new connectors!

Ray
[/b]

Last edited by raygreenwood on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Update/Edit to part #1:

Apologies, after all of the tech on wire I forgot to post what wire I bought and where I got it!

As you can see, I opted for all 20 AWG. With added amounts for each wire in the system (a bare minimum of about 4" or more), my calculations showed I needed right at 115 feet.

Ordered 125 feet of Teflon coated, silver plated wire from Allied Wire and cable.

Allied Wire & cable

Main page link:

https://www.awcwire.com/

PTFE hook up wire page link:

https://www.awcwire.com/hook-up-and-lead-wire/ptfe-wire

Link to the wire I bought:

https://www.awcwire.com/product/1199-20-19

Their site is excellent!
At that last link you can see that they have this broken down in 100' increments. Not needing to spend the money or have an extra 75 feet of Teflon wire laying around, I took a chance and clicked the "quote" button and asked if they could quote me an exact amount....125'.

I heard nothing back for about 3 days and just figured they blew me off. Then got an email and phone call. Customer service was EXCELLENT and the price was spot on!

The quote:

I think shipping was ~$12. That price works out to 82 cents per foot without shipping. That is an outstanding price for this wire.

It came in on a nice storage spool in a nicely padded box. Ship time was about 4 days.

The specs on the wire:

So this is a 20 AWG 19/32 (19 strands of 32 AWG wire). Its core wire bundle is ~0.038" in diameter which really helps on the small connectors we are using and the OD is listed as 0.083". I have not yet measured exactly but I have also seen this same wire listed as 0.078".

Edit:
With a light touch, these measure 0.059" to 0.061". Sounds odd....but it is 19 strands and they are 0.008" diameter (which IS 32AWG).
Its "possible" that they actually gave me "ET" class wire.
Looking....the closest seems to by Mil spec M16878 Type EE.

But my part # is E 20 19 9...19 strands, class E and 32 AWG per strand. Just odd measurements but the wire will do fine!

More to come shortly in part 2!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

two questions

could you post a link to purchase the dual cantilever connectors?

Would it make any sense to change out all the electrical connections in the engine bay to the dual cantilever connectors?

Thanks Tom
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

tmitoraj wrote:
two questions

could you post a link to purchase the dual cantilever connectors?

Would it make any sense to change out all the electrical connections in the engine bay to the dual cantilever connectors?

Thanks Tom

Part 2 is forming up within about 24 hours. It has all of the crimping info and links for the dual cantilever connectors.
Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Exellent documentation Ray, many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Crimping-what is it and why we use it:

First, what IS crimping and why do we use it instead of soldering and what is good crimp?
WHAT IS A GOOD CRIMP CONNECTION?

(Quote from SM-Contact corporation)

“Crimp connection is a gas-tight joint formed by compression between electrical components (most often wires and cables) and a specifically designed crimp termination or splice band. Compressed terminal reshapes all strands in a wire like it is cold-welded to create a low resistance solderless electrical connection.

In a nutshell: The type of crimping we are speaking of really only pertains to STRANDED wire. Wire crimping for solid wire (like house wire) is totally different in the tools it uses.

We use stranded wire because it is much more flexible and durable in high vibration environments. In a perfect world we would be using SOLID wires because it’s a larger more direct conductor and a solid wire of equal size to the diameter of the bundle of strands our wire has, will conduct far more amperage.

We crimp the wires into the round section of our terminals (called a barrel- these are barrel crimps) to compress the strands to a gas-tight solid core of metal.
As I noted earlier, if you cannot get NEW ECU card edge (Y-Fork connectors), FEAR NOT! If yours are in good shape, not bent or corroded, I will show you how to reuse/recycle them.

Recycling old ECU connectors:

“Y” Fork ECU terminal recycling methods:

• The first method is to cut your original good wires about 1 foot from the circuit board, meaning outside of the ECU enclosure and wire clamp. You are making “pigtails” out of them and you will be splicing them to new wire. But you will NOT be using “butt” connectors of any kind. I used to but I learned and found better connectors.
PROPER connectors!

I will share correct/proper/cheap, easy to get part numbers for what are officially called “pigtail splice terminals” and show you which crimping die is needed. These are a factory part used by automotive and appliance manufacturers.

• The second method uses a different type of pigtail splice crimp terminal but actually calls for a little bit of tedious but simple prep to your old ECU terminals to allow crimping new directly to the terminal itself.

Method #1- Connecting a used “Y”-Fork connector with a pigtail of old stock wire to a new harness:

I save ECU pigtail sets by hacking them off just below the outer clamp. The wire inside of the ECU cavity is the most pristine left and is usually pliable.
This is saving more old wire than you really need.

All of these pigtails will be trimmed to length and crimped so that all of the joints between new and old wire will be inside of the ECU cavity and under the gray plastic slide plate, nice and clean.

So here is an individual pigtail wire we are going to splice to new wire and reuse.

NOTE: We are NOT going to be using butt connectors of any type. We especially are not going to be using these horrible PVC coated butt connectors. They do have their uses, just not in a car.

At one point in time, I used some far better and very well made butt connectors like these:

While these are light years better, in order to get anything like “hermetic” seal where the air and moisture is squeezed out of the wire strand bundle (like a proper crimp), the wires needed to be a dead fit and a proper crimper with a hexagon die needed to be used.

If you cannot get the type of terminals I am going to suggest, use the butt connector I just showed you in the proper wire size and buy this die. It can produce a hermetic crimp but it’s harder to monitor.

By the time you buy the die (which is a great die to have) and get the butt connectors, you have spent more than you would buying the proper crimp terminal (coming up) and using them with a die you should already have.
I am going to show crimping with two different types of readily available, cheap “pigtail crimp” terminals. You can get them at Digi-Key.

This first connector is not ideal but will work fine with some modification. They are cheap at 20 cents each.
They are actually designed to join either two pairs of double wires or wires that have much thicker insulation than we will be using. They have too much material in the strain relief area so we will be trimming them.

If you bought the hemostats and scissors I recommended, this takes about 20 seconds per terminal to trim.

Notice the excessively long and bulged strain relief flaps. Too much metal for our small wires.

So, we first snip it like this

Then we snip it like this. If you want you can spend a few seconds with the Dremel taking off sharp burrs. I did not because I just wanted you to get the concept.

Insert the wire in one side and tighten the strain relief slightly with the small pliers so it holds onto the wire so you do not have to play around putting it in the die.

After crimping the first strain relief. You can crimp it harder but there is no need to.

Both wires are in and both strain reliefs are crimped.

Here it is from the side. Use a small plastic or metal pick and stuff all the wires down into the center crimp barrel.

I recrimped all three crimps a 2nd time.

NOTE: The ugly texture is from the black wrinkle finish Teflon coating that the Greenlee brand dies come with. In the earlier Paladin dies, all of the critical areas in the dies are mirror polished and do not make this texture. It looks ugly but does not hurt anything.

MY OPINION: these pigtail crimps work fine when trimmed but I will not use these for this task unless I cannot get the next ones I am going to show you.

This next “pigtail splice” terminal comes in several sizes. There are many different variations you can find in the TE-Connectivity catalog that will work. Some right out of the box and some need tweaking. The “ideal” one to get (just out of what I have found so far) is this one:

I did not get these right off because they are listed as magnetic. Either this is because they are made of steel or are nickel plated. Neither is an issue but I was not sure how well they would crimp. I did not want another layer of experimentation right now so I opted for the next one.

These did not list as “magnetic” but I think they are actually the same construction. They are just fine. They are tin plated steel I think. However, you will notice that they are for connecting two different size wires together.

So again, just a little trimming.

By the way, these do not have strain relief but you really do not need it on a pigtail splice. We will be heat shrinking this and it’s out of a “strain risk” area.

Before trimming

After trimming. It’s not perfect but is close enough that it does not matter. Again, I would spend 10 seconds and take off the sharp burr even though it does not matter.

First wire crimp.

You can see here that I narrow the barrel slightly with pliers for a better fit in the die. I did this to the first side crimp as well.

Both crimps are finished. Seen from the side. This is a much better crimp terminal for our use. These may look ugly under the microscope but to the naked eye they look like factory. They are also very tightly sealed.

The two sides have a very slight twist between them because I did not hold the terminal with pliers/hemostats as I finished the crimp. I found its just as easy to straighten it after you are done….with these types of terminal.

The next step is sealing these splices. You can use any decent circuit board varnish. Do not use an RTV or sealant. The acetic acid in the RTV may corrode the wire. The object is to seal any imperfections and bare metal to keep oxygen and moisture away.

This insulating varnish is available at Digi-Key and many places on the web. Its bullet proof. It’s actually “Glyptol” and is sometimes called “glyptic” varnish.
It is the same product that for about 100 years or more has been used to coat the inside of oil field pump unit gear boxes. It produces a nearly “ceramic” like finish. Once it is dry virtually nothing takes it off. Impervious to oils and chemicals and even fuel to a good extent. Its solvent/air dry and dries fast.

Just brush it on and into every crevice until its glossy looking. Let dry for about 30 minutes.

Here is the larger brass splice terminal. Heat shrink it and you are done.

This is the smaller splice terminal with no strain reliefs getting heat shrink.

Another item I am testing:

This is a “silicone” heat shrink. It stays very pliable. It may not be useful here but may be useful elsewhere.
It is very high temperature (400° F +). However, it can only really be used on Teflon clad wire because it takes an actual torch to shrink it and needs 500°-ish to shrink. It will damage the insulation on PVC coated wire.

An Important Note on Sealing barrel Crimps:

The factory does not do this. On both old and new cars, they rely on the rubber boots and in later plug assemblies they rely on seals and grommets to keep moisture away from the crimp areas.

I think we should use a sealant because some people may not have perfect crimps. Perfectly serviceable yes but perfect may be hard to do because as already noted, our dies are not perfectly matched to our terminals.

If you look around the web you will eventually find sites like some of the vintage motorcycle sites where people SOLDER the brush area of their terminals.

This is a very old “for repair” ONLY method (not a factory method) where for the same reasons, hand crimping versus machine crimping, some mechanics worried that the crimp may not be sealed so they sealed them with solder. Make note that most of these terminal types were solid copper or brass plated with tin.

Our ECU terminals are neither copper or brass.

This is a VERY, VERY bad practice on fuel injection terminals for one reason alone. While it does make a good seal, you should never solder these types of “micro” terminals. The heat destroys the temper phosphor bronze which ruins the terminals. DO NOT SOLDER ON THESE TERMINALS. If you are worried, use a sealer.

Larger scale terminals like ring terminals and headlight terminals which are mainly brass or tin plated copper will be just fine with solder sealing.

Crimper notes for these pigtail splices:

You can use die set 2096 or 2033. The difference between the two:

The 2033 has three cavities. The largest cavity is 12-10 AWG. We will not be using that one. The one in the middle is 16-14 AWG. I mostly use this cavity.
However, do not be afraid to use the smallest cavity on this die if you think the crimp barrels are not getting compressed enough. I typically do any “re-crimping” or finish/straightening crimping with the smallest barrel which is 22-18 AWG.

Notice that we will ONLY be using the part of the die that normally does the main barrel crimp (yellow arrow). We will not be using the strain relief crimp section (the larger section). The yellow arrow points to the main barrel crimp section of the 16-14 AWG die cavity.

The Paladin 2096 die set:

This die set only has two cavities. It is also “Metric”. It may help you if you find that the middle die cavity on your 2033 is way too big (not enough compaction) and the small dies cavity is also too big. This can happen if you are using all 20 AWG replacement wire.

The smaller cavity fits 0.5mm to 1.0mm metric wire gauge terminals. The 0.5 size is right between 24.5 AWG and 24 AWG. The 1.0mm wire size is right between 18.5 AWG and 18 AWG. So, its slightly smaller than the smallest cavity on the 2033 die set.

The larger cavity in the 2096 is listed as 1.5mm to 2.5mm. The 1.5mm size is slightly smaller than 14 AWG and 2.5mm is between 11 AWG and 10 AWG.
So really, the only cavity on the 2096 die set that will be useful with these pigtail splices is the smaller cavity.

Crimper settings:

The crimper depth wheel was set on “1” meaning the first notch on the negative side. This is the lowest setting for all of these. Every once in a while with all PVC wiring I will use the 2nd notch. With Teflon coated, anything but the first notch is too much and cracks the insulation. Your results may vary so do your testing.

All of these were full cycle crimps (7 clicks). Most of these, as I placed the crimp terminal in the crimper, I advance to the first click to hold the terminal still. This is also stated in the instructions from Paladin/AMP.

Method #2- Crimping old “Y”-Fork ECU terminals directly to new wires:
1999 Technology:

I dreamed this one up way back in 1999 when I used to patch harnesses by using old terminals stripped from junk harnesses and using picks, needles and jewelers screwdrivers to remove the wire strands inside of the crimp barrel and then re-spread the crimp. It works but will tear up your fingers and test your nerves and you need a big pile of terminals just to get a few that can be re-crimped.

Then I wondered if I could put a new crimp barrel onto an already used old terminal. You can!

Here is one of the first examples I made using simple 1/16” ID copper tubing. I ground the existing crimp barrel and leftover wire into a flat “tang”. I crimped it onto the modified terminal with one of my crimping dies.

Yes, it works, but bare copper is not ideal and it would have taken weeks to do 22 terminals but I kept the idea on the shelf.

MODERN DAY TECHNOLOGY: So, in method #1, we can use a proper “pigtail splice” crimping terminal and effectively join one wire to another and reuse an old D-jet ECU terminal as long as it has a wire still attached to it right?

So, if we wanted to connect an old used D-jet connector that DOES NOT have a wire attached anymore to a new piece of wire, we can use a version of that same ‘pigtail splice” terminal.
However, we must modify the old terminal by getting rid of enough of the crimp barrel to make a uniform “tang” so it can be crimped onto a wire using a pigtail splice terminal.
In short, we are going to TREAT THE ECU TERMINAL JUST LIKE A WIRE and simply crimp it to another wire with a pigtail splice terminal.

IMPORTANT:

Before we get into crimping, a few terms I will be using should be defined. Think of this like a mini glossary so everyone knows what I am speaking of.

• “Brush”: this is the small amount of wire strands that are protruding from the main barrel crimp after crimping. There should be “some”. You do not want there to be no “brush”. It is part of the sealing process. There are actually length standards for this that are not really important to our process. Just make sure they are not so long that they interfere with the locking tab.

• “Pre-setting” barrel crimps: This does not need to be done in factory automated crimping or if it does, it is done automatically by part of the die and jig. It means that with a small pair of pliers or a pair of hemostats, I bend the flaps/petals of either the strain relief or main barrel crimp inward slightly so they fit in the cavity of the die better without wanting to rotate as we close the crimper tool.

This also helps to hold the connector securely on the wire while you insert it into the crimping tool. This especially helps with Teflon coated wire.

Factory crimping does not have this issue and part of this is because, as noted, the dies we are using are not dedicated to the crimp connectors we will be using.

A brand new female terminal is on the left for comparison. On the right here is the properly stripped wire that is going into it. This is a 20 AWG going into an 22-18 AWG capable terminal. We need to narrow those flaps both to grip the wire (strain relief) and to fit the die better on the main barrel crimp.

On the left you can see that the strain relief has been lightly closed to make contact with the wire and keep the terminal from freely twisting too easily or falling off the wire. This is “pre-setting”. On the right you can see what I did. One side needs to go under the other first.

These are different than our original D-jet terminals and some other terminals (if you look at the picture of the original terminals) because the flaps are not directly across from each other on the “Y” fork terminals. They are triangular.

On the left you can see now as step 2, I “pre-set” the main barrel crimp to narrow it to fit into the die better and straighter so it does not squirm sideways as we close the crimper.

• “Ground” versus “un-ground” terminal: This is purely used for what we are doing when recycling terminals. As you will see, we are grinding off half of the original factory crimp to produce a flat uniform “tang”. That is a “ground” terminal.

There are a few test crimps in the next section where I simply snipped the old wire off the terminal and crimped it into a splice terminal with the old wire inside (which is also a simpler working method but produces crimps that are less perfect).

The “un-ground” terminal is on the left. You can seethe wire and strain relief has been snipped off. The “ground” terminal is on the right. It was ground to form a more uniform, thinner “tang” to crimp on to.

Preparing the old ECU terminal (making a ground terminal):

This is a stock terminal and crimp with the wire still on it. It is a #3 which is 18 AWG wire.

Use a sharp scissors or ships and cut off the wire and the strain relief.

They all will vary within a few thousandths but the original crimped barrel width starts out at ~0.085” and the thickness is ~ 0.050” just for a benchmark until you get the hang of what we are going to do next.

I have a microscope and lots of magnifiers but I suggest buying just a cheap lighted magnifier to help you know how you are doing. There are thousands of designs on Amazon and elsewhere. Spend what you want but something this cheap at 5X will be good enough to do this. My microscope shots are at 50-60X.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/carson-minibrite-5...lsrc=aw.ds

IMPORTANT NOTE:

From this point on, no matter what you see in my pictures (especially the next picture): all grinding work you will do on these terminals will be with the terminal gripped by a pair of cheap disposable hemostats or small pliers locked onto the terminal like you see here.
This is mainly because the hemostats act as a guard for the Dremel grinding wheel to bump up against so you do not accidentally grind anything on the main terminal body and ruin it.

The left picture shows what we are going to be doing to the crimp barrel. You will touch it flat to the cut-off wheel at lowest speed for a couple of seconds at a time. It should take no more than about 15-20 seconds total.

The right hand picture shows the hemostats locked on as a grinding guard. DO NOT do what I am doing in the left picture. It’s not about not getting hurt. That’s not really an issue. It’s about grinding on the terminal where you should not be grinding.

Wear safety glasses! There WILL be flying debris as the wire strands fly out after you grind away the surface of the crimp barrel. Once those wire strands are gone you are done with this step.

The object is this. After about 10 seconds the wire strands will vacate the barrel as you grind it in half.

AGAIN, use the hemostats to hold the terminal. Holding it with my fingers was just an easier way to take the picture.

The grinder is held in the vise and my other hand held the camera. You just want to touch the cut-off wheel to each side of the TANG to get rid of grinding flash and make them as straight as possible and thin the walls slightly.

Then as a final step I use a flat, diamond needle file (Harbor Freight $6.99 a set of 10) to give it just a few swipes on each side of the tang. You can use a regular needle file or even Emory board around 220-320 grit.

After this work, the width of the barrel/tang has gone from ~0.085” to ~0.050” and from a thickness of ~0.050” to ~0.030”.

This work takes very little time. The first couple will seem a little tedious. Go slow and you will see how easy it is. After just a few terminals worth of practice, each one takes about 3 minutes of work. You can finish the whole set in a little over an hour.

Crimping tests for recycling stock Y Forks:

IMPORTANT crimping pliers notes:
The crimper settings/information we need to gather and keep a log of to CONSISTENTLY crimp these terminals:

• Which die you are using

• Which opening/cavity in the die

• Which crimp are you doing first- the strain relief, the main barrel crimp that contacts the wire core bundle. With this method you cannot do both at one time.

• What is the crimp pressure setting (the adjustment of that toothed wheel on the crimper)
• Are the crimp pressure settings the same for both strain relief and main crimp barrel? Sometimes they may be different, especially if you have thick or thin wire insulation.

• Are you using a full cycle of the crimper, meaning are you squeezing it all the way until it quits clicking and opens up on its own or are you using a partial cycle?

The Paladin 1300 series has 7 clicks in a full cycle. Some crimps, especially these as compared to the “pigtail splices”, require stopping the cycle early and using the release lever to prevent crushing part of the terminal.

• Do either the man barrel or strain relief “flaps” need to be narrowed or tightened up with pliers before placing the terminal in the crimper?

• Do you need to pre-set the terminal in the die by inserting and ratcheting to the first click? This is pretty much universal in these hand crimps and is mentioned in the AMP/Paladin literature.

Important note: These last items are worthy of mentioning.

• Remember that I noted that the dies we have for our manual crimper tools are not really identical to what was used for these same terminals in the factory.

• In a crimping die, you have a lower/bottom section that could be described as the “saddle” or anvil. It is a longer dish shaped area that the terminal sits in. It supports the backside of the terminal opposite where the wire is crimped on.

• As you squeeze the “hand crimper” tool, the top section of the die which has an identical curve in each side, contacts the legs or flaps of the terminal driving them inward and causing them to curl inward toward the center as they bend.

• This bending/curling motion, if both legs or flaps are not perfectly aligned, may cause the upper die to contact one leg or flap first by a few thousandths of an inch. This causes the terminal to twist in the die. While it may still make a strong crimp, it will be an ugly lopsided one and will probably not be gas tight.

• In factory automatic and semi-automatic crimping machines this is not an issue because the die sets had a flat ledge and sometimes even an outline/indentation of the terminal that supports and forces the terminal to be flat and square to the crimp die and always set up in the right location. And, these crimp terminals were on strips coming off of a reel.

• They were located by pins in holes on the metal sprue and held tightly. The crimping and cutting the terminal off the reel was done in one operation. We do not have this luxury in the hand crimping tool.

Terminals on reels were located in the die and “fixed” by these pin holes for the sprocket drive so the position in the die was flat and perfect.

You can use any of these three cavities for these crimps as long as the flaps on the terminal are pre-set or bent correctly and the crimp depth/pressure I adjusted properly.

Do some test crimps to find out which one works best for your crimper tool and die set model/brand.
We will be doing both strain relief and main barrel crimp on the same segment of the die cavity shown by the arrow (the tighter section) so this is a two stage crimp.

As noted at the start of this section, sometimes, for more than one reason, we need to take a small pair of pliers and “pre-bend” or “pre-set” the flaps of either the strain relief or the main crimp barrel either so it fits deeper in the die cavity and sits flatter or to hold onto the wire tighter. This is especially true when using Teflon coated wire.

The first few of these test crimps are using Amp part # 62516-2 pigtail splice terminals because I have more of them to play with.

We are trimming half of this off with the Fiskars shears like this:

This actually is just making this part AMP 60806-1 out of an AMP part # 62516-2

My test crimp wire is silver plated copper with Teflon outer sheathing:
Teflon wire sample #1 from McMaster (old) part # 7304K13
18AWG
Core bundle diameter: 0.047”
19/30 wire stranding (meaning it has 19 strands that are each 30 AWG
Strand diameter: 0.0097” (micrometer) 0.0095 caliper/ 0.010” spec
OD- 0.0715 caliper 0.0718 micrometer / 0.07” advertised spec
This equals 1.06mm gauge or 19BWG or ~ between 17.5AWG and 18 (using micrometer)
Strip length is 0,254” (6.5mm)
Stripper settings for Knipex 12 62 180 model stripper:
Strip length on 1st notch from left.
Strip pressure on 2nd notch from left

Crimping tests/experiments:

Important comment before we start: Some of these crimps may look totally hideous. However, I purposely included all crimp experiments I made, even the ugly ones, in the order I made them and with all of the detail changes I made on each crimp.

Seeing how the sausage is made is useful! You get to learn from my mistakes without wasting rare terminals!

I could have just skipped to #15 and showed you my final crimping recipe but there is a lot to be learned in showing all of the tests.

Some visible issues:

• Keep in mind that the connectors that were recycled for these crimp tests were 50-ish years old, not always perfectly straight etc. They were stored in a film bottle and rattled around a lot. They are essentially scrap as compared to ones I might harvest out of my “pigtail stash”.

The object for this testing was not to make pretty and perfect connectors each time, it was to figure out what combination of settings and modifications to the Y connector, pigtail crimp connector and/or wire would be required to make a proper/repeatable crimp.

• My microscope can create stark, highly detailed images that can make even the factory crimping look poor unless I spend the time to work with the lighting and software settings (too much time for this). This is why I also included a microscope shot of a factory crimp (which we are all fine with) to give a kind of a “viewing benchmark”. The crimps that I consider definitive look excellent to the naked eye just like factory crimps.

This was a #3 wire from a type 4 harness. It looks perfect to the naked eye. Under the microscope, while what you see is excellent, it also looks a little “ratty”.
The wire “brush” (meaning the excess wire protruding from the crimp barrel) is a little long and a little mangled and the crimp barrel seems to not be totally closed (though it is closed enough that nothing is getting outside of it).

Keep in mind that what you see above was state of the art enough to work perfectly for nearly 50 years. The microscope level of detail simply brings very minute details to the forefront. Keep that in mind when looking at the crimps we will be making.

That factory terminal crimp picture will reappear in the section where we are crimping new connectors on new wire as well.
Important rule before we start!

Because these ECU terminals are “rare”, I do not believe in wasting a single one whenever possible but you have to do crimping tests/experiments or you may end up wasting them all.
The rule is that whenever you are doing a crimping experiment, crimp the terminal onto the pigtail of your ROLL of wire. In this way, if it turns out viable even if it’s a little ratty looking, you can make a complete wire of any length in the system.

Experiments:

#1:
Die: 2096
Crimp cavity: large/1.5mm to 2.5mm using the smaller main barrel crimp section ONLY for both strain relief and open barrel crimps.
Crimp depth: #4 for both crimps
Connector: A100700CT-ND splice (this is half of the actual pigtail splice connector)
Tang: ground tang.
I make note of this TERMINOLOGY because some of these crimps I tried without grinding off half of the barrel crimp and without getting rid of the old wire inside. While they probably work just fine, it just leaves more access for air and moisture to get in.
Brush: on tab side. The term “brush” refers to the cluster of strands that protrudes outside of the barrel crimp. It’s a crimping term.

Comment: The main crimp barrel is excellent from the front side. But the brush is too long and interferes with the locking tab. The strain relief works well but has too much metal material in the strain relief part.
It should have the petals/flanges trimmed. The crimp depth appears a little excessive on the barrel and strain relief looking from the back. The crimp depth also cracked the Teflon sheathing. While this would not be a problem because we will be adding varnish and heat shrink, it should be fixed.

#2:
Same wire stripper settings. We will be using the same crimper and die settings for all of these.
Connector: A100700CT-ND splice (this is half of the actual pigtail splice connector)
Die 2096 1.5-2.5mm cavity
Crimp depth: 2
Crimp Strain relief first/ crimp barrel/ re-crimp strain relief all done on the main barrel section of the die
NOTE: this is crimping the wire on the backside (non-lug side) of the terminal to not interfere with tab

Comment: better but either crimp depth is excessive or the metal volume in the terminal and splice is excessive. The indentation damage and distortion to the ferrule is too high

Same die and settings as #2. Splice terminal cut shorter on one side. Two stage crimp just like #2. Wire crimped on tab side of terminal like #1

Comment: Indentation still excessive. Metal on strain relief is too jagged. Shorter strain relief is better. Pressure on wire from die is too high and cracking the Teflon. “Brush” of wire bundle is still excessively long and interferes with the locking tab.

Same as #3 with double crimp in barrel section of die on the strain relief

All settings same as #3, just different positioning in the die. The main barrel is not fully crimped right near the Y-fork terminal
Comment: pressure and metal volume is still too high. The pigtail connector cracked.

Everything the same as #4 but the spice ferrule was trimmed down on the SR side

Comment: much better but you can see the high level of indentation on the Y fork end of the splice and the excessive metal that wraps around.

Same as #5 but with half-length strain relief and reversed brush to back side of Y-fork away from tab

Comment: looking better but still too jagged on the back, still too much pressure, still cracking the Teflon.

Same as #6 except that the barrel has not been ground off of the Y-fork and the SR end of the splice connector has been trimmed even further past the hole. Just an experiment.

Comment: Looking cleaner and just as tight as a ground “tang”. There is still too much excess metal on the backside of the strain relief.

Same as #7 except that SR is cut even shorter in both side height and length like this:

Comment: The strain relief is the right length now. The pressure is still too high. This one is also done with an “un-ground” tang which is why it is too “fat”.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I think this particular brass pigtail splice whether it is using half of part # 62516-2 or the shorter 60806-1….is just too much metal to try to compress into the die. You can see how low the outer/lower bottom hangs. The next few are changing to part # 61021-1.

However, this is a splice that allows joining a 16 AWG to an 18 AWG wire. We “may” have to trim these as well.

2096 die using the 0.5 to 1.0 smaller die opening with “brush” trimmed ~1/16” and is one backside. This means the wire was trimmed with shears just slightly. This also used an “un-ground” Y-fork meaning I just snipped off the old wire and strain relief and crimped it in. The pressure setting was on 1.

Comment: cleaner, but notice the crack on the lower side of the main barrel in the back picture. This means that it is still a pressure setting issue and also that the Y-fork should be ground to make it thinner. The strain relief looks better.

Same as #9 except that wire/brush was flipped back to frontside and the strain relief section was trimmed shorter.

Comments: getting there but its sloppy

Same die and cavity as #10. Same crimp pressure setting. The strain relief was “pre-set” or narrowed to fit in the die better using small pliers.
All of the strain reliefs and main crimp barrels will be “pre-set” for all of these moving forward. I explained that with pictures at the very beginning.

Comment: Notice that NOT 100% of the main barrel was crimped right next to the body of the Y-terminal. I had to go back and re-crimp to get all of this.
With this terminal type the 18 AWG side which we are using for the strain relief was trimmed in length by exactly 50%. This one is also using a “non-ground” Y-fork.

Pigtail splice 16-18 AWG/ 2096 die smaller cavity- 1.5-2.5/ 16 side trimmed above ridges/18 side cut in half/ brush on back/ setting 0/ground terminal.

Comment: So, with these last two crimps, we notice that the crimp barrel does not close all the way. This means that the non-ground “tang” of the connector is too wide.
It is plenty tight though, and when the wire brush is put on the side of the connector tang that is opposite the gap in the crimp barrel, it will be hermetically sealed. The rest moving forward will be using ground connectors.

Same as #12 above but I stopped the strain relief crimp on the 5th click. As a reminder the strain relief is using the 18 AWG barrel and the terminal and wire are using the 16 AWG barrel. I stopped the main crimp barrel on the 5th click as well. The wire/brush is on the back side. The crimp setting is still 0. Notice that the crimp barrel is now fully closing.

Same starting set up (die and cavity). I trimmed the 18 AWG side of the pigtail connector by ½ to make a shorter more normal strain relief. I stopped the SR crimp on click #4 and released it. I stopped the main barrel crimp on click 5. This terminal was ground and the brush is on the back. The crimp setting is still 0. This is looking a lot more uniform. Less cracking issues and excess metal.
Notice that with less length on the strain relief I am getting better control on the closure and tightness of it.

#15- The FINAL/Best recipe so far:

I would say this is the DEFINITIVE set up so far. I used every trick in this one.

Complete Recipe/spec list:

Die 2096-1.5-2.5mm cavity.
The terminal is ground.
The brush end of the wire is trimmed ~1/16” to be flush with the end of the main crimp barrel.

The brush on front side where the terminal locking tang is.
The strain relief was crimped 4 clicks and the ratchet was then released.
The tangs of the strain release were pre-set to slightly grip the wire to aid in keeping the wire in the right place while installing in the die.
The crimp pressure setting was 0.
The main crimp barrel was “pre-narrowed” and went to click #6 before releasing the ratchet. Reminder- a full crimp cycle is 7 clicks.
So, neither the strain relief or the main crimp barrel used a full crimp cycle. The crimp pressure was also at 0.
The measured thickness of the ground terminal tang was 0.025” and ~ 0.050” wide.

NOTE: on 20 gauge wire the smaller die cavity was used and I went 7 clicks full cycle on the strain relief crimp. Sometimes the main barrel needs to be put back in and go the whole 7 clicks.

NOTE: I did not trim the length of the strain relief section just to see if it would crimp properly either way. It will work either trimmed or not trimmed.

So, this is a good recipe to recycle old terminals to new wires. Just keep the “tang” as uniform as possible and trim the “pigtail” connectors as uniform in shape and size as possible.

These pigtail terminals are cheap. Easy to get and are not in short supply. So, if during modification/trimming of one you screw it up, just throw it in the recycle bin. Do not use one that is sub-optimum.

Sealing, heat shrink and strain relief:

There will be a whole section of heat shrink farther down the line but I wanted to include some specifics for these recycled terminals because I would like to finish up with them. I have all new terminals for the actual harness build.

Strain relief issues with ECU and female terminals:

The strain reliefs on these small fuel injection terminals are not the same as what you would find on larger scale female, open barrel crimp terminals. They do not work the same.

So, with larger scale connectors like we find in the fuse panel and on relays we see these nice looking, fat strain relief crimps like this:

This picture is from guitartech.de

This type of strain relief really ensures that the PVC/insulation is clamped hard and will not pull out.

However, the ECU and female terminals we are using rely more on the plug bodies (or heat shrink) to create REAL strain relief. All the small flaps on these tiny terminals really do is provide “kink” relief. They are more of an anti-kink guide.

Because they really do not bite deeply into the wire insulation, they are more like a semi-tight outer band clamp.

Just to point this out visually, here is that stock terminal again.
This is as tight as they get. The little points are not supposed to pierce the insulation.
Teflon sheathed wire has its own issues. If it gets too tight it can crush/split the Teflon so keep it loose. In fact, some of these I just finish the strain relief crimp with the “bald” pliers when I use Teflon sheathed wire.

This is sealing the terminal crimp with circuit board varnish before heat shrink. We will be doing all of the terminals this way including the female connectors.

Heat shrink. I use a short 0.5” to 0.625” piece first as the inner layer and then a longer outer length to help give the ability to curve. About 0.75” or slightly longer.

Some notes for the use of the crimper pliers and dies for ECU and female terminals:

These terminals have very small main crimp barrels. With 18 AWG wire you can crimp these tiny terminals on either the 2033 die set in the smallest cavity or the 2096 metric wire size die set in the smallest cavity.

The most “correct” die set is the 2097 “D-Sub” die.
As noted earlier, none of these die sets are actually made to exactly fit these terminals but if you know what the variations are you can crimp these terminals very well with these dies.

This is die # 2033. For either the female terminal or the ECU terminal we would use the smallest die cavity shown by the red arrow in the left picture below.

In the right picture above, here is where you need to place the terminal when using this die. Notice that the red arrow on the right picture points to a gap between the terminal and the side of the die.

The flaps on the crimp barrel are fully inside of the die area. The reason why we need the terminal to be placed slightly inward in the area between the red dotted line and the yellow line is so that the flaps for the strain relief are fully OUTSIDE of the smaller diameter barrel crimp area.

If the strain relief flaps get clamped in the main barrel crimp area it will wreck the terminal.

The die-set below is Paladin PA 2097 This is used for sub miniature open barrel crimps. We CAN use either cavity for these crimps. I ended up crimping most of them in the smaller cavity (arrow) AFTER I had done the initial crimping in the larger cavity. You will need to experiment to find out which cavity works without crushing the terminal in your pliers.

You can see the same important relationship in the 2097 die-set below.

Both male sider and the female side are almost exactly the correct size for the main crimp barrel flaps so you have to make sure that the terminal is not too far out or in. The strain relief flaps should be as far outside as possible when crimping the main barrel crimp which is what we are showing above.

In the picture above, we would have already crimped the wire tightly in the main barrel crimp and then note that we slide the terminal slightly to the left so that the strain relief crimp flaps are now fully inside of the die.

Yes, this will crimp part of the barrel crimp a second time but that should not be a problem unless the crimp depth is reset harder.

New ECU terminal crimp tests. 20-24 AWG terminal (Gold plated):

These are part # 5-583259-3. These are the ones that are in stock. They are a little small for stock wires but as I noted in the first part of the thread, you really do not require 18 AWG wires with good modern wire.

The benchmark factory terminal crimp pictures again:

Test #16

Comments: Way too much crimp pressure. The crimp barrel shows cracking on the edges of the backside.

Settings:

2097 die set/20-22 AWG die cavity/18 AWG Teflon wire /shortest stripper setting-trimmed brush by 1/16” /pre-set or pre bent the strain relief flaps / 3.5 depth wheel setting / 7-clicks full cycle of the crimper pliers

Test #17:

Comments: This one looked damn strange. Clean but screwed up. That when I realized I stuck it in the die backwards. Thought you should see it anyway.

Settings:

All the same settings as #16 except crimp depth set to 1.0 / I accidentally crimped this one backwards in the die. Damn.

Test #18:

Comments: The main barrel crimp looks good. The “brush” is too long because I forgot to trim it and this is a good example of why it needs to be trimmed.

NOTE:
The length of stripped wire we need to have is 1/16” shorter than the lowest setting of my Knipex crimper so it cannot be produced by the stripper tool.
So I strip with the shortest setting and then snip it off an extra 1/16” cleanly with the Fiskars scissors.

Settings:
All the same settings as #16 except 5 clicks and release instead of full cycle/ crimp depth 1.0

Test#19:

Comments: This is still a little over crimped pressure/depth wise but is perfectly serviceable. The main barrel crimp is excellent. The strain relief needs slightly more closure. I just do this with the pliers rather than risking screwing a terminal up.

Settings:

All the same settings as #16 / the trim brush by 1/16”/ I pre-set both ferrules using 4 clicks out of the total of 7/ So far this is best using 18 AWG Teflon

Test #20:

Comments: This one was OUTSTANDING! I tightened the strain relief with the pliers after all was done.

Settings:
This one is using the 2097 die (the 20-22 AWG die cavity) and 20 AWG Teflon wire/ depth setting is 1/ I used 4 clicks out of 7 and released early / I trimmed the brush 1/16” so its flush with the edge of the terminal.

Wire stripper tool cut depth setting is 2nd notch from deepest + setting. I had to set the stripper for deeper depth as the 20 AWG Teflon has a smaller OD.

Test #21:

Comments: This one did just fine (functionality wise) but you can see that it has a slight twist to the barrel. This is why you hold the terminal with hemostats to make sure t stays square in the crimper tool.
I wanted to see if these terminals could be used to simply replace ECU terminals on an otherwise factory harness.

Settings:

This test was just for historical research. I use a piece of 18 AWG stock factory wire, crimped using the 22 gauge die cavity on die set #2033/ 3.0 crimp depth setting / I pre-narrow or pre-set both main and strain relief ferrules.

Final comments for these 22-24 AWG gold plated ECU terminals:

Crimp test record for 22-24awg gold plated Y forks:

• The 18 gauge Teflon is too big to use without cracking the insulation right at the strain relief. This does not mean that you cannot use it. Just be sure to seal and heat shrink it. In reality you do not have to use 18 AWG if you are using silver plated copper wire.

• The 18 AWG stock PVC coated copper is also technically too big for the strain relief but will work ok if you are careful.

• Test with 20awg stock copper shows that using the die #2033 smallest opening set to crimp depth #3 works well.

• With the dies we are using, the strain relief and the main crimp barrel MUST be pre-set or pre-narrowed with small pliers or hemostats to make sure the wire bundle is fully enclosed and held in the bottom of the crimp barrel.

If the wire core bundle is not held down in the valley between the flaps as far as possible, once the die starts bending and curving the flaps inward, it happens quickly and one or more strands can escape the crimp.

• One you have the strain relief and main crimp barrel “pre-set” and lightly attached to the wire, once you insert the terminal into the crimping tool, you need to lock the terminal into the crimper by advancing to the first (and sometimes 2nd) click.

Once the terminal is held securely in the crimping pliers with the wire in the correct place/depth, this allows you to check the depth of insertion of the terminal in the pliers and check that it is straight and parallel before you squeeze the pliers.

END OF PART 2- Next- New EV-1 female terminal crimping/heat shrink tubing/wire numbering/outer sheathing:

Ray
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Ray - AMAZING post. I wanted to throw these links in as well, they cover my method for making the harness when you don't have any of the ECU connector pins, though your link to some is intriguing and I'm gonna try and order some if they have any left.

Link

Link

For the Large bulkhead connectors, there are two options that I have used that work well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CX48JZD/?coliid=I1Z2E..._lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SWGHVRG/?coliid=I34H5..._lig_dp_it

I've been using some SXL or TXL wire and it works well, and is affordable.
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/automotive-lead-wire
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daves1800
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Ray,

Absolutely most amazing work! Brad Cushman is a true DJet evangelist.
I utilized another tidbit of his work to publish an article in the Volvo publication "Rolling" along with a co-author. This article is linked in my ALL makes DJet messaging platform https://groups.io/g/djetdevelopment

But back to the subject of fabricating a DJet harness. Wouldn't it be a bit easier by starting with a kit from https://www.djetparts.com? A 914/VW kit is offered as well as a ECU connector, and harder to find are the ECU contacts :https://www.djetparts.com/product-page/fork-spade-connector-ecu-plug?lang=en quite expensive I know, but short of wire and sleeving, pretty much a one-stop shop.

The correct crimping tools definitely makes the harness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

Dave,

the parts are readily available and much cheaper with Ray's sourcing. the kits from them are nice, but in no way competitive price wise

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/583259-4/294162

ECU connectors for 60-80 us cents. I just bought 250. There are 17 THOUSAND left, so this source is pretty good for a while.

boots
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Injector-Boot-K...06102.html

For those who want to splurge on new rather than re-used D-jet connectors I make these
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2650012

etc. its fantastic that the d-jet resource in the UK exists, more sources and vendors for parts the better, but for US - based DIY harnesses it's not easier or economical vs the US based sources IMO.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: D-jet Harness Build- wire/terminals/tools/crimping Reply with quote

daves1800 wrote:
Ray,

Absolutely most amazing work! Brad Cushman is a true DJet evangelist.
I utilized another tidbit of his work to publish an article in the Volvo publication "Rolling" along with a co-author. This article is linked in my ALL makes DJet messaging platform https://groups.io/g/djetdevelopment

But back to the subject of fabricating a DJet harness. Wouldn't it be a bit easier by starting with a kit from https://www.djetparts.com? A 914/VW kit is offered as well as a ECU connector, and harder to find are the ECU contacts :https://www.djetparts.com/product-page/fork-spade-connector-ecu-plug?lang=en quite expensive I know, but short of wire and sleeving, pretty much a one-stop shop.

The correct crimping tools definitely makes the harness.

Hello Dave!

That is a fantastic site and I will recommend them to "most" people who are just wanting to do a basic "refurbishment" of their otherwise decent harness.

Their prices are actually quite good....for stock parts. I hope they stay in business.

However, make note....those kits are really only useful for those whose existing factory harnesses are VERY well kept...meaning the outer sheathing is still somewhat pliable and intact and they have no "known" issues with the wires inside.

Those kits only replace the female connectors on the component ends inside the engine bay.

They do sell the ECU fork connectors and their price...versus real world availability....is pretty good. In reality, very few people should need a new ECU plug body but its nice that they have them. You really only need the Y fork ECU connectors if yours have gotten damaged.

Usually the only way that happens is if the harness is detached from the system and lays around and gets corrosion or if the ECU plug area gets wet and corrodes.

So you are looking at ~$127 before taxes and shipping for the basic 914 kit and 25 new ECU Y fork terminals.

A basic "connectivity" refurbishment kit with new boots is what you are getting and that is good ....if thats all you need....because the stock female connectors are actually terrible long term. Great when brand new but they do not age well.

So this is where we separate what we are doing/talking about here...from those kits:

1. So just doing a "connectivity" refurbishment with one of those kits, you are still left with 50 year old crispy wire that sooner or later will be having connection issues.
You can spend just that $150-ish now with shipping and taxes and do just the connection points...or spend another $125 to $150 on top of that and get a whole new harness (if you build it yourself. You will spend a bit more (but its worth it)... if someone like JMSkater or Jeff bowlsby builds you one.

One thing to remember, the BMW, Mercedes and Citroen guys generally have harnesses whose wires and sheathing are in much better condition than the Porsche 914 guys, VW 411/412 guys and VW type 3 guys because the heat under the hood in the aircooled engine bay just cooks the crap out of the wires. The watercooled harness wires are usually in better condition.

So dealing with the aircooled cars...at this point in time....50 years old now for my car....I would never reuse the old wires or plugs.

2. The plugs and connectors.

A lot of the 914 guys and some of the BMW guys...want "restoration" level harnesses. They want original appearance, original plugs, original sheathing, original female connectors and original boots....along with original performance.

It's been my experience that some of the other guys with Mercedes and other less collectible cars and people who plan to drive the car a lot ...just want pure functionality and better lifespan and reliability.
If they can also get it for a little cheaper without worrying about appearance details....or if they can get a new harness with BETTER reliability....they will take it over factory exact reproduction.

Those kits have the STOCK plugs and connectors. I am not interested in those. Even AMP stated they had problems way back when.

I spent many years tweaking, working and experimenting to try to find a GOOD way to connect modern dual cantilevered terminals to my D-jet systems....because they are THAT MUCH better. Night and day better.

About 4-5 years ago I was even very close to molding new nylon plugs that could fit the new EV-1 style terminal into D-jet components. I actually finished the prototype mold.

Out of the blue....Brad Cushman pops up with the answer in a ready made AMP plug that will allow this to be done with minutes worth of work with a dremel or a file on just a couple of plugs. Fantastic!

So the main thing TO ME....is the use of new female connectors and better quality new wire and sheathing that will last much longer than the original.

3. The other issue and why I went through all of this stuff in detail is for those who need a whole new harness and also need those Y-fork connectors for their ECU.
I don't. I have a full set of original part # Y forks. I could build a new harness with new and better materials and never worry about anything else in my remaining lifespan unless I have a fire!

But that helps no one else.
Outside of that site in Germany....they are still available in a couple of part #'s...BUT....not in the original 18-20 AWG size. A big part of this thread was doing the due diligence to figure out if a 22 gauge Y fork connector can work.

They can...and as JMSkater noted...there are 17000+ in stock....and they are cheap....right now. That may sound like a lot, but that is only 680 D-jet harnesses. Those could disappear in about 2 years if there is a rush of people starting to restore what they have worldwide.
We can't forget how many makes and models of cars used D-jet. Sometimes us VW people tend to only think about VW and Porsche 914 D-jet. Lots of Mercedes, BMW, Citroen, Volv0, Saab...and I am probably forgetting some

Its also why I went through the whole...."how to recycle your old Y-forks" thing. You can reuse them cleanly.

So yes, for some people those kits are killer. I may buy boots there...I may by elsewhere. Their boots actually look more "Porsche/VW" correct than others I see.

I would not dissuade anyone from buying the kits from Repro parts. But I would advise them....that before you spend just THAT amount of money....you should do a really detailed assessment of your harness. It may be worth it to buy that kit...plus ECU terminals...and new wire local to yourself ...and build a whole new harness.

If those guys really wanted to be "the bomb"...they should sell DIY kits complete with little coils of pre-cut to length wires and a basic ratchet crimper kit.

By the way....JMSkater...very NICE damn connectors! You done great!

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: