Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sealing exhaust slip joints
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

So here in Nz every 6months we have to have our cars check for road worthiness, its a pretty basic mech inspection that's a TPINA more so given I struggle to do >200m between checks,,,

But hey ho,,,

SO last check the guy commented that my exhaust slip joints leak gas as they don't seal, he did acknowledge that that's how they are made but said ultimately exhausts are not allowed to leak, he left it that is they don't get worse hell let it go.

Exhaust is a EMPI single quiet pack, yes I know most people think there shit but TBH I actually like the sound(!).

has anyone ever sealed these slip joints?

Wondered about;
- Trying to cut length ways along the outer pipe then put clamps on,
- Ramming exhaust sealant into the joints,
- squirting high temp silicon / mastic into the joints,
- wrapping the pipe in tape (heard this causes them to corrode fast?),

Don't really have the desire or $'s to 'upgrade' to say a VS, doesnt help that I heard a few not so good things about them & that to me they sound like a low revving non turbo Subaru, & not really many other off shelf options over here.

Cheers.
1776cc, Fully balanced, 8 Dowel fly, W100, DRD L3 heads, 1:25-1 CB rockers, 8.2:1, Twin 34's, Elec fuel pump, Fuel press reg, Full flowed, Single Quiet pack.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Muffler cement or high temp silicone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Aluminium foil tape.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Find a different WoF man Laughing
Technically my windscreen washer squirter is supposed to work too, but never failed a WoF on it Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Wood stove door gasket tape/ribbon/cord, whatever it's called, the woven asbestoseyish stuff that's sold by wood stove stores, a wrap of that secured with a worm drive hose clamp will solve the problem.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Are you talking about the stock heater box replacement slip connector with the donut and clamp????
I slathered Copper Seal on the pipe slide part and both sides of the donut then clamped it and it was leak proof at over 22 lbs. of boost....back pressure was pushing 30 lbs when I checked it with a gauge.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

What size is the exhaust pipe?

You can always weld flanged on it.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Could try to find a “ lap joint band clamp” , seen some on Amazon for as small as 1.5” . Maybe smaller out there, i dont know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

Walker Acousti-Seal works nicely.

I’ve not only used it on these 36hp heater box slip joints pictured below but also on the donut seals on later 1600 heater boxes. No leaks, just heat it with a torch to soften it for removal when swapping to new exhaust parts.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: sealing exhaust slip joints Reply with quote

A weld seals it pretty good.
If you don't like that then weld on flanges.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: