Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn Issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Horn Issues Reply with quote

‘62 sunroof bug, should the horn be insulated from it’s mounting bracket? I mean between the body bracket and the horn arm.

This thing is driving me nuts, everything is clean inside the center of the steering wheel, horn tests good old wired directly to the battery.

I’m ready to tri a remote horn button and bypassing the steering wheel craziness.

Help?
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Issues Reply with quote

Neither the horn nor its bracket need to be insulated from the body of the car.

If the problem you're having is it sounds constantly (you haven't said what exactly is driving you nuts), it may be the horn is shorted internally. A quick check to see if this is the problem would be to unbolt it from the car, wires still attached, and see if it still blares. If it only blares when it's bolted to the car, the horn is bad; conversely, if it still blares when not touching the car body, then your horn button circuit is shorted to ground.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Issues Reply with quote

Horn works when attached directly to 6V power.

Only a whimper when installed and horn button depressed.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Issues Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
Horn works when attached directly to 6V power.

Only a whimper when installed and horn button depressed.

Test the horn with the car running but not moving. Then do that same test again while you re both pressing the horn button and turning the steering wheel. The ground for the horn is through the steering box. If the box is less than tight that can be a problem.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Issues Reply with quote

The terminals on the horn are for power and ground patch. The horn mounting bracket has nothing to do with the horn system ground.

The ground path goes up to the steering column tube, this becomes "live" with the potential of horn circuit. The horn ring connects to the wire running down the column shaft which connects at steering coupler disk to ground on one of the two bolts connected to the steering box.

My 62 Sunroof bug had a lot of issues with the tab on the steering column tube. No horn at all when on 6V. Did OK for a while once i changed to 12V but then that went sour. I eventually just made it relay operated, which I've discussed elsewhere on TheSamba. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364573&start=13 And for that I DID use the horn mounting bracket screw for a ground source. But in the factory configuration, it's just a mounting bracket and nothing more.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: