Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCK123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

I am trying to find the best way to get a manifold vacuum signal to the MAP sensor for a Microsquirt V3 crank trigger ignition. I am thinking that I can tee into the balance tube with a vacuum manifold and then out to the MAP sensor. Or, is it a better signal coming off just one manifold. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TCK123
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

If the balance tube is big enough (1/2” +), vacuum should be stable enough to tap it right off the manifold.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

You don't need a big line for a Map sensor. A smaller line will give better resolution.
I have a 5/32nds line running from my intake manifold along the passenger side to the front under the buggy hood to the ECU and a boost gauge.
It's been that way for 50,000 miles.
Put a Tee in your balance tube and shrink it down to a small line. Whatever size the fitting is on the map sensor is the size you should use.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Your balance tube is fine. That way you will get a smoother signal than if you just tapped one manifold. I tapped all 4 on my Webers, ran a 1/8" line from them into a small RC model airplane fuel tank, then another 1/8" line to the MAP sender. Nice smooth signal and has been working this way for 3 years now. You won't need a dampening bottle, your balance tube will do all the signal dampening you require.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
You don't need a big line for a Map sensor. A smaller line will give better resolution.

X2. Also keep it as short as possible. Makes it respond quicker to vacuum changes.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

As for vacuum stability with dual singles, I have measured smoother vacuum at the manifold than off the balance tube. The balance tube was surprisingly bouncy on the gauge, which sort of makes sense given that the air is rapidly oscillating back and forth between the manifolds.

If your balance tube is less than 1/2” ID, manifold vacuum starts to get pretty bouncy. In that case, either use a larger balance pipe, or tap MAP off the balance pipe if it measures smoother.

I find a 1/3” - 5/8” balance pipe to be ideal with dual singles and shorter duration/high vacuum cams. Going bigger doesn’t help, and going smaller reduces vacuum stability.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Your balance tube is fine. That way you will get a smoother signal than if you just tapped one manifold. I tapped all 4 on my Webers, ran a 1/8" line from them into a small RC model airplane fuel tank, then another 1/8" line to the MAP sender. Nice smooth signal and has been working this way for 3 years now. You won't need a dampening bottle, your balance tube will do all the signal dampening you require.

What kind of tubing is that?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

You would have thought that by now you should be able to tune the filtering on the MAP signal using software in the Microsquirt rather than rigging a hardware low pass filter ( thin tubes and a plenum ..)

I use a MAP sensor created from a Bosch BMP280 mobile phone sensor for my vacuum advance, you can tune the filtering on the sensor. I was using 2Hz .. you could feel the kicks from the timing advance jumping . At 8Hz it is smooth but still filters out the pulses from the engine.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
What kind of tubing is that?

I should remember but I don't at the moment. It's industrial instrument tubing. We inherited it at work from a sister shop that shut down and my Boss just pitched it in the garbage. I saved one roll so I have 80 feet of it here.
TCK123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MAP sensor connection on Kadrons for crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

A lot of great ideas. I was thinking of putting a 2 way connector off each manifold, one large connection for the balance tube and one small connection for the vacuum line. I was going to run the two small vacuum lines to a vacuum manifold and then out to the MAP sensor. I am a little ways out from getting it running, but I am one step closer now.

Thanks,
TCK123
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: