Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

back from the dead
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

I'm glad your still with us Skills.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I did not have a heart attack, but did have an aortic valve replaced nine years ago. A congenital abnormality. Open heart surgery.
So glad you came out of this alive. It is a miracle.
So did they do stents? Are you waiting a determination about other medical procedures? Just curious what you might be facing.
If you think your chest hurts now, I assume from CPR, just wait till you have the experience of having your chest split. I hope you don’t have that delightful experience.
You’ve been given an extension. I know you just said you have no fear of death but I’m pretty sure you have good reasons to continue living.
Hope you have a fine and long “rest of your life”.
Peace.

yes on the stents. I have a cardiologist appointment next week and will see what is next.

I have heard about the chest splitting and hope that I don't have to deal with that. Right now breathing deep hurts like hell, I couldn't imagine being split in the middle like that...

Vangabonders wrote:
god wasn't ready for another angel

I have a crazy story about that. Here isn't the place to tell it but I was at the pearly gates and was told to go back

richparker wrote:
Dang, 6’4” and 300. You’re 2 of me…

I don't even know what to say to that. No way could I ever hit 150 unless I was in a train car at Auschwitz. Shoulder to shoulder I'm about 23" wide and my waist is 36". I'm all belly and legs.

Lowest I have ever been in my adult life was 215, and was literally asked if I was a cancer patient.

creative native wrote:
How fortunate that you have returned, Skills. The left anterior descending artery blockage/widow maker survival rate is somewhere around 6%. It is amazing that you've returned.

The back pain you wrote of could have been a sign. My spouse is a doctor and once told me that men over 6', over 200 lbs. and over 40 most always have back pain. If you want any advice about recovery & diet, feel free to PM me.

I won't philosophize about spirituality or worldview, but I feel it could easily be believed that you have returned for a reason; perhaps your work here in the material world is not yet complete. I am glad that you're still with us.

Thank you. I may reach out to you after I speak to the cardiologist again. I agree, the back pain and the way it hit was a sure sign. Just a shame that the chiropractor missed it after going into great detail about what I was experiencing at the time. The ER doctor was appalled.

Guess I'm still here to bust people's balls. One thing I will say is that no matter what you do in life, just do it.

Crying over shit parts, crying over your precious bus or building a 'perfect' engine etc doesn't mean shit when you can be dead this afternoon. Get out and enjoy what you can while you can before you realize the hourglass is nailed down and there is no going back

I see so many people stress about getting something within 1mm of perfection and guess what...at the end of the day is doesn't matter.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Tue May 30, 2023 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Nothing like you experienced Skills but I had my day of reckoning happen last year when I went in for some tests and they let me know that I have an aortic aneurism.

I had to put the brakes on all fun activities or risk popping my aorta like a balloon so my perspective on things has changed a bit.

Edit: I seem to be in a very long line for surgery. Glad I have the Bus and did the Subaru Swap before I found out so now all I need to do is turn the key and drive.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Wed May 31, 2023 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Holly crap Don, That is some story. Glad to here you are back. Hope you can make the Tville show. You are one lucky to live thru this one!!!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Good to know you are alright. Your life has changed forever. There isn't much you will be able to do the same way again. "Cabbage 3" or Triple bypass at 47 myself. I'm 6' 3" and was 325 lbs at my heaviest. Here I am at 64 and 215 lbs and still turning wrenches for my daily bread. looking to retire in another year or so. I also have just been told recently I'm diabetic as well. (Oh joy.)

Take your time recovering. If you love being a tech don't give up on that. Work for that goal if you can. You got to work smarter not harder if you do go back to turning wrenches. And don't be afraid to ask for help. Were not all assholes. Laughing
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Glad you're alive.

Heart attacks suck. Mine didn't kill me like yours did you.

Be well!
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Crying over shit parts, crying over your precious bus or building a 'perfect' engine etc doesn't mean shit when you can be dead this afternoon. Get out and enjoy what you can while you can before you realize the hourglass is nailed down and there is no going back

I see so many people stress about getting something within 1mm of perfection and guess what...at the end of the day is doesn't matter.

This is the perspective that I wish for so many people to internalize, Skills. Death is certain, but life is not, so we should focus on making the best lives possible for ourselves and those we care for and who cares for us while we are here and able.

I once knew a man who once made The Journey to the other side and back again. One thing he told me is that it is all love there and the feeling that he had been released from the weights of anger, resentments and pettiness of the earth was very real and relieving. I was young then and gave great deference to the elders, so I learned from his experience and have done my best to be good minded and inspire that within those I know, as well as never letting anyone I love ever question it, because as we know, an hour from now may be too late. Those 18 minutes are a very private matter and based on your words, it is encouraging that they have influenced your perspective. I am grateful that you have shared this much. Waʔtkęnęherá·thęʔ Θrá·wu· (I give you my respect, He Who Has Returned).

Last edited by creative native on Tue May 30, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Vangabonders wrote:
god wasn't ready for another angel

Devil took one look. "Not touching that one. I know trouble when I see it."

Hope your recovery goes well. It's all bonus time now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Nothing like you experienced Skills but I had my day of reckoning happen last year when I went in for some tests and they let me know that I have an aortic aneurism.

holy shit! I hope it's stable. Are you going for surgery?

CrRusty wrote:
Holly crap Don, That is some story. Glad to here you are back. Hope you can make the Tville show. You are one lucky to live thru this one!!!

Hey Randy. I should be there weather permitting of course. Yea, very fortunate for sure.

sodbuster wrote:
Good to know you are alright. Your life has changed forever. There isn't much you will be able to do the same way again. "Cabbage 3" or Triple bypass at 47 myself.

yes/no/maybe. Sure, life will change a bit but it is what it is. I told my wife that I'll do everything to the best of my ability but if you think for a minute i'm going to go on for the next 45 years (God willing) eating grass and licking cardboard I may as well step in front of a train tomorrow

I had already started to alter my diet and turn up the wick on exercise. The hardest thing has been quitting smoking. If you believe what you read, the chemical (nicotine) addiction is out of your system in 24-36 hours. I was out like a light for about 3 days so I got thru that part pretty easy but holy shit what I wouldn't do for a nice hard drag right now....

creative native wrote:

This is the perspective that I wish for so many people to internalize, Skills. Death is certain, but life is not, so we should focus on making the best lives possible for ourselves and those we care for and who cares for us while we are here and able..

I've never been afraid of dying and I would joke that if God had mercy on me, I'd be dead by the time I hit the floor. Glad the big guy was paying attention Laughing

I've watched too many family members linger. I honestly don't want that. When it's time to turn out the lights, I'm ready...I just don't want to slowly circle the drain.

I came to terms a long time ago with the fact I can only control just so much. Worrying about shit that is beyond anything I can do just wasn't worth the time.

what I am surprised about is how many here have shared their issues and ages. sounds like we should all be at the VFW bitching about our current medication list Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

creative native wrote:

I once knew a man who once made The Journey to the other side and back again. One thing he told me is that it is all love there and the feeling that he had been released from the weights of anger, resentments and pettiness of the earth was very real and relieving..

I may as well tell the story here. If the mods decide to delete it, it is what it is...

in 1984 when I was just a lowercase skills my aunt (who was 17 at the time) was murdered. Needless to say it pretty much destroyed the whole family.

When I last left her we were in my grandparents living room when my mother came to pick me up. We were just about to start building a Lego castle but my mother came early so we were shoveling the ankle deep pile of Lego's back into a box

Her last words to me were "we'll build the castle next time, I promise"

That day never came Crying or Very sad

so, picture if you will a marble staircase that went on forever horizontally to a beautiful landing about 25 feet wide and doors that were so tall you couldn't see where they ended

I went to grab the handle to walk in and the door snapped shut. Confused So, I tried again. This time, my aunt poked her head out (think of that police serving a warrant kind of head out of the door thing) All she said was "GO"

I said "Auntie, I'm tired...please let me in..." She said GO and pointed back down the stairs. I started to beg her and she said "fucking GO, you're not ready yet"

So I started back down the stairs, head hung low....defeated....

Next thing I know I'm staring at the ceiling in the ICU and some hot nurse was putting a fresh cock-a-doodle cap on my twat hammer to drain the piss out of me

I can't tell the experience without crying. My aunt was just as I left her, a beautiful 17 year old just getting ready to graduate and get her license.

now weather you believe it or not I don't care, but that is what I personally experienced. It gave me hope that there really is something on the other side. I dunno.... could have been the drugs or divine intervention.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

...I see so many people stress about getting something within 1mm of perfection and guess what...at the end of the day is doesn't matter.

You couldn't have said it better.. it doesn't matter. This is all just stuff.
I'll be praying for your healing.
Hopefully if you have any mortgages, loans, contracts etc they have a death clause. You'll *technically* be set
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Skillet. You cool if I post some personal stuff about my experiences and my dad’s experience hovering around the ceiling next to death? I don’t want make it about me. But as you know. You’ve inspired me. A couple other Samba members in this thread have inspired me too. Maybe I can add value to a future lurker.

I will never pretend to know what you and your family are going through. Glad you still around brother.

The day you get rid of all that junk VW, Subaru, and Volvo crap so your wife and daughter don’t have to deal with it when you are gone, is the day you get let through the Gates of Hell or Pearly Gates on your terms. Something took mercy on them this time. So keep it around for awhile Wink

And that rhyme I text you was for your eyes only Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Tue May 30, 2023 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Skills, WELCOME BACK! Just take things one day at a time. Prayers also help!
Bob
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

So do you have two birthdays now? They issue you a new birth certificate and SSN? I would have asked the nurse to run up to maternity and grab the newborn paperwork. Laughing

In all seriousness, glad you’re doing ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Glad you're ok Skills. Still need you on bass in my band!

btw, "Fk'n Go!" is hilarious.
F bomb in heaven. Your Aunt must have been a hoot!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

SSssoooo.....

This doesn't mean you're going to be here on the Samba all day every day now, right?
Eh?

What’s That Noise?!?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Funny, my father in law got the second chance some time ago
He had a couple heart attacks around 50, also a big guy, 6'2" big gut, he told the doctor "don't tell me what to do, or what to eat", so he went to the bottom of the list for getting his heart fixed.
A few years later another major heart attack, fly him to the big city for surgery, they were going to do angioiplasty, but when they put the balloon in his artery it let loose a pile of crap he had built up in there, and he had a stroke on the table.
The wife just happened to be there for work that morning, he was blind, and talking jibberish. A couple hours later the rest of the family showed up, and he was back to normal, and they did the stints a couple days later. The doc told him, do what you want you're all good now.

Since then he's been sitting in his basement watching TV waiting to die.

please don't be that guy.......

these people drive me to keep going, and stay fit as I can so I don't end up that way.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

So did they do stents?

yes on the stents. I have a cardiologist appointment next week and will see what is next. .

Hopefully they used the stents from Autozone so you get the lifetime warranty Dancing Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

So did they do stents?

yes on the stents. I have a cardiologist appointment next week and will see what is next. .

Hopefully they used the stents from Autozone so you get the lifetime warranty Dancing Laughing

Installation charges are what get you.

When I coded and was at the Pearly Gates , the Devil was up there trying to get me for all my sins. Saint Peter said, “he’s mine, if you try to get him I’ll sue you”

The Devil said “ Where are you going to get a lawyer?”
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: back from the dead Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Skillet. You cool if I post some personal stuff about my experiences and my dad’s experience hovering around the ceiling next to death? I don’t want make it about me. But as you know. You’ve inspired me. A couple other Samba members in this thread have inspired me too. Maybe I can add value to a future lurker.

go for it.

We are an aging group here, and even if you're in your teens/20's/30's it's a good message to everyone to take care of yourself

Quote:
Since then he's been sitting in his basement watching TV waiting to die.

please don't be that guy.......

these people drive me to keep going, and stay fit as I can so I don't end up that way.

yea, I know too many guys that retired and either dropped dead or stroked out. That was never my intention...

My biggest issue was not being near as active as I was in my dealership days when I went to work for myself

sure, I was "busy" but not on my feet all day running around. Another thing we did on and off over the years at the dealer was bike ride. A group of us would meet up in the AM before work and do about an hour ride every day/every other day.

And it was pretty easy to get lazy around the farm.... I'd just jump on a golf cart and go. It was easy to do, especially if I was hauling equipment (mower, weed wacker etc)

Quote:
SSssoooo.....

This doesn't mean you're going to be here on the Samba all day every day now, right?
Eh?

what else am I supposed to when I take a shit?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: