Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fuel pump
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

There's nothing preventing anyone from installing a "generator-style" pump on a car equipped with an alternator.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
There's nothing preventing anyone from installing a "generator-style" pump on a car equipped with an alternator.

Correct, just tougher to remove a non-slanted FP with an alternator.

You match the pushrod length to whether the flange on the fuel pump is recessed or not; recessed takes 108mm, non-recessed takes 100mm. That typically means a non-slanted FP takes 108mm, and the slanted type 100mm.

So one should not put too much credence in whether one is called alternator type or generator type. And "alternator type" FP with appropriate pushrod works just fine on a generator-equipped VW.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
74volks wrote:
So I removed the fuel pump and the push rod. But for some reason I can't get the spacer to come out. Any advice?

Leave the spacer in place, they often break when folks try to remove them, leaving a piece stuck in the case.

There are threads on how to remove the broken-off piece.

This is the reason I was trying to remove it.......

As stated by ashman40......<<Additionally, you may want to make sure your fuel pump stand/spacer is not cracked. If it is, now is the time to replace it. Make sure it slides loosely into the case opening. If the fit is snug you should sand down the outer diameter of the snout that slides into the case. As the case heats up it can compress the pump stand snout and end up binding the pump push rod.>>
74volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

Good to know.

Cusser wrote:
Correct, just tougher to remove a non-slanted FP with an alternator.

You match the pushrod length to whether the flange on the fuel pump is recessed or not; recessed takes 108mm, non-recessed takes 100mm. That typically means a non-slanted FP takes 108mm, and the slanted type 100mm.

So one should not put too much credence in whether one is called alternator type or generator type. And "alternator type" FP with appropriate pushrod works just fine on a generator-equipped VW.

So just to be sure.....based on the photos I posted, I have an alternator instead of a generator on my car, correct?

Is it true what someone posted earlier.....that the new pushrods are not that great of quality?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

74volks wrote:
So just to be sure.....based on the photos I posted, I have an alternator instead of a generator on my car, correct?

Yes, yours has alternator - an externally-regulated unit.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

74volks wrote:
Greetings......

If I am going to replace the fuel pump on my 74 beetle, what else besides the fuel pump do I need to go along with it?

From the little bit of research I have done, I need to get a fuel pump that goes with an alternator as opposed to a generator. Is this correct?

OK so editing to add.....

Looked around on wolfsburg west site. Looks like I might need a couple of gaskets. How do I know if I need a new pushrod?

74volks,
Once your new pump is installed, make sure to check the output fuel pressure with a test gauge. Should not exceed ~2.5-3psi. Any more, and you'll need to grind down the push rod a bit until it's correct.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

The German Pierburg dome top or square top will fit an engine with an alternator. I've sold lots to folks with alternators and no one had an issue.

The pushrod on these two pumps I mention is ^108mm. The more important measurement is how much the pushrod sticks up above the fuel pump stand. It should be 13mm. Folks need to always measure how much it sticks up as there are different thickness pump stands. Folks could have also removed material making it thinner in the past.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture shows how to measure it.

No matter what pump you purchase, it's always a good thing to T in a fuel pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure. Ideally you want between 2.5 to 3 psi. If your pressure is say 3.5, you can add a couple of gaskets between the pump and the stand to lower it down .5 lbs. I don't like to add more than 2 gaskets as you can lower the volume as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

PWB wrote:

74volks,
Once your new pump is installed, make sure to check the output fuel pressure with a test gauge. Should not exceed ~2.5-3psi. Any more, and you'll need to grind down the push rod a bit until it's correct.

wcfvw69 wrote:

No matter what pump you purchase, it's always a good thing to T in a fuel pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure. Ideally you want between 2.5 to 3 psi. If your pressure is say 3.5, you can add a couple of gaskets between the pump and the stand to lower it down .5 lbs. I don't like to add more than 2 gaskets as you can lower the volume as well.

With that being said, can anyone recommend a good pressure gauge? I don't want top of the line but I don't want harbor freight quality either! Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

74volks wrote:
PWB wrote:

74volks,

wcfvw69 wrote:

With that being said, can anyone recommend a good pressure gauge? I don't want top of the line but I don't want harbor freight quality either! Shocked

This will work nicely- https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5613-Vacuum-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0050SG9KW

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
This will work nicely- https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5613-Vacuum-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B0050SG9KW

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my husband has one of those. I don't know if they are all vacuum and pressure combined. I know for sure his does vacuum. I'll have to check with him.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

You just need to check the range of pressures the gauge will measure. Gauges meant for carbs measure pressures around 10psi. Gauges meant for fuel injection will measure 30psi+ and would be terrible for accurately measuring low pressure applications.

Though, all the combo vacuum+pressure gauges I have seen are for carb pressures.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

You should always use a gauge that registers about half way up the scale of what your intended measurement is going to be. Measurements at either end of the scale are usually not accurate.

So yes for a 3.5 psi fuel pressure you can get away with a say 10 psi gauge.

I always chuckle when I see people fitting an oil temperature or pressure gauge on a VW when their "normal" operating figure is almost at the bottom stop of the gauge.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

74volks wrote:

What's wrong with a harbor freight fuel pressure gauge?
They work perfectly fine

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
74volks wrote:

What's wrong with a harbor freight fuel pressure gauge?
They work perfectly fine

I also have the same HF fuel pressure gauge. The only issue I saw was that the plastic tee was weak, so I bought a stronger one at Ace Hardware.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: