Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 motor fuel shutoff
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

hey guys,

just wondering your thoughts on whether or not a fuel shut off for a type 4 bus with dual weber ict carbs is a reasonable add on.

the PO initially installed a cheap plastic shutoff like you would find on a mower / snowmobile because the bus was over fueling and since carb rebuild and fuel pressure regulator add in i think i have that fixed but i am still paranoid about fuel getting past the needle for extended storage etc or perhaps even some use a shutoff for short term purposes.

i know the idealistic option is to install a fuel shutoff relay for safety purposes etc and this may be in the works eventually but thoughts on the benefits or not of having a simple shutoff, if its an okay idea is there a particular type or style i should be looking for that would be safe for the bus system, i know with the plastic one i am asking for trouble.

let me know your thoughts on adding an inline shutoff petcock , and i you have a suggested one that works well let me know , thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

Brass from a marine supply house, with oetiker clamps on the hoses and an annual inspection.

Dont let the shutoff hang on the fuel line by the hoses, secure to frame.
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

what would happen if its just free floating with the lines assuming short segments before and after it ?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

The mass of the valve and the motion of the car wlll fatigue fail the fuel hose
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

An electric fuel cutoff is a good way to go, that way the fuel is cut off automatically when you turn the key to the OFF position.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

If your only concern is long term storage just clamp it. Available at any FLAPS and cheap. No extra parts no extra hose clamps.
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

wasnt sure how long term is "long term" with these ict 34 carbs, im just paranoid about the fuel leakage long term given that they are so picky about pressurization etc and wearing out the needle, im probably just paranoid.

Prob just need to look into how to wire up an electric fuel shutoff.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

I ran Weber 34 ict's for 5 years plus on my 68 1600 bus never an issue.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

Installing an electric solenoid valve is the same work as a manual one aside from a wire or two.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

Electric fuel pump?
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

yup, cheap inline that is non adjustable but i did put a malpassi regulator in
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

I visit a lotta VW owners in the midwest with those carbs, and although they drive really well when set up, most folks will have a leaky needle valve fill their engine with gas at least once before they go FI. Laughing

I would do the electronic shutoff, so when (not if) your needle valve(s) leak, you won't get an entire tank of oily gasoline soaking the campground or your driveway.

The engine fire protection/maintenance ease is just a nice bonus, imo.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

if they do leak past the needle or i should say when, is it pretty much guaranteed to have an external leak if its bad or do a lot of em just have a bit of gas smell in the oil, i guess trying to tell if you have a slow / partial needle leak what the symptoms would be ?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

I had the same issue with these carbs as many do. Worked great for awhile, then the gas in crankcase issue. Replaced the float needles and it didn’t help. I did the petcock thing for awhile. Works great until the time you forget. I gave up on them. Here’s a good article I found about solving this problem and setting up these carbs:

https://www.wayoutwestie.com/aircooled-tech/running-weber-icts-on-a-vw-aircooled-engine/
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

I had 34 weabers for years on my 74.with no issues..After sitting for years after being junked . 10? I installed them on my 76 Westy (replacement of fI) after a couple of years I experienced crankcase fuel issues leakage.
..I like the idea of a electric shut off valve. I have a brass Manuel one but it's unhandy to crawl under the bus every times (I'm 76).thanks for the cold reality of this problem...Bill
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

A marine anti siphon valve is another way to go. There are several versions of these available.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

I had 34 weabers for years on my 74.with no issues..After sitting for years after being junked . 10? I installed them on my 76 Westy (replacement of fI) after a couple of years I experienced crankcase fuel issues leakage.
..I like the idea of a electric shut off valve. I have a brass Manuel one but it's unhandy to crawl under the bus every times (I'm 76).thanks for the cold reality of this problem...Bill
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

Would putting the fuel pump below the tank and routing the line as high as is possible and then down to a drip loop before the carb/carbs be beneficial? I can envision the bowls draining but would it not stop more than that?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Would putting the fuel pump below the tank and routing the line as high as is possible and then down to a drip loop before the carb/carbs be beneficial? I can envision the bowls draining but would it not stop more than that?

What matters is the height of the fuel in the tank compared to the inlet level of the carb. You are not changing this by rerouting the line up, down, or sideways.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 motor fuel shutoff Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

What matters is the height of the fuel in the tank compared to the inlet level of the carb. You are not changing this by rerouting the line up, down, or sideways.
Yes I get your meaning, But if the fuel line rises above the height of fuel in the tank, (might not be possible with a full tank) and dips below the carb inlet would you still have siphon effect?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: