Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yellow spark, completely out of ideas.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowdycookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Yellow spark, completely out of ideas. Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm having a spark issue. All four of my plugs have a yellow spark, not blue. Below are the things I've already done.

New plug wires (two different sets)
New spark plugs (ngk) (.026 gap)
New distributor (no points)

Tested the coil, meets all resistance specs.
Took the coil wire and it arked a bright blue against the body while turning over.

Currently the car runs with only cylinder 1 and 3.

110-120 compression on all cylinders.

I'm 100% out of ideas. The coil is good and everything from the coil to the plugs are brand new.

My local vw shop was also stumped. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. There's a big vw meet coming up and I'm desperately trying to get my baby up and running by then. Thanks again.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow spark, completely out of ideas. Reply with quote

Rowdycookie wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm having a spark issue. All four of my plugs have a yellow spark, not blue. Below are the things I've already done.

New plug wires (two different sets)
New spark plugs (ngk) (.026 gap)
New distributor (no points)

Tested the coil, meets all resistance specs.
Took the coil wire and it arked a bright blue against the body while turning over.

Currently the car runs with only cylinder 1 and 3.

110-120 compression on all cylinders.

I'm 100% out of ideas. The coil is good and everything from the coil to the plugs are brand new.

My local vw shop was also stumped. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. There's a big vw meet coming up and I'm desperately trying to get my baby up and running by then. Thanks again.

I see you wrote it. But I gotta ask. New cap and rotor?

Run through the firing order on your wires. You may have #3 and #4 incorrectly placed. It happens, from time to time.

Also, make sure that the plug ends o the wires are seated on the plugs. You should hear a distinct "click, click, click and the plug end of the wires are seated on the plugs.

I feel your pain on getting a car ready for the Bug Run. I'm trying to get mine started and broke in before Friday this week. All I wanna do is race it! Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow spark, completely out of ideas. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Run through the firing order on your wires. You may have #3 and #4 incorrectly placed.

If his local VW shop didn't catch that, time to find a new VW shop. Wink

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow spark, completely out of ideas. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Run through the firing order on your wires. You may have #3 and #4 incorrectly placed.

If his local VW shop didn't catch that, time to find a new VW shop. Wink

Ha, funny Steve!
Some of us, once in a while get a little frustrated and reach out for help beyond the samba. LOL!

I have an engine that is refusing to start. I'm sofa-king frustrated with it.
I wanna take to a shop to have them get it running. Not gonna happen, but it's still making me wanna pull out, what hair I have left. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow spark, completely out of ideas. Reply with quote

Condenser might be going bad, if you still have one with the nameless without points module.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: