Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input needed 🤔🤔Mexican water cooled bus any good????
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Input needed 🤔🤔Mexican water cooled bus any good???? Reply with quote

Hello sambanistas before I do something stupid and think with the wrong head fthought I’d check in here….😀
..so I’m looking at a 90’s Mexican bus with the 1800 I’ve had the motor in the golf and Jetta fantastic engine and I know German busses inside out but nothing of the Mexican bus looks like a bay met a vanagon and had kids!
What should I look for in the water cooled plumbing system???
Does it have a decent heater?
I’ve owned 5 vanagons of all the various models except the single cab each was a pain in the butt always engine problems or auto transmissions hence my hesitation

This would be my daily driver dumb idea or do able
🤔what’s your thoughts!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Input needed 🤔🤔Mexican water cooled bus any good???? Reply with quote

Can't imagine the 1800 heats an entire Transporter interior.
There are a few 1800 water-cooled permutations.
The gx series with 10:1 compression are tough. Like 315k miles before oil ring carbon issues. Love mine in an ancient Golf. 570k+-ish miles(third odo/speedo, they like to break) still 29mpg with 010 auto trans.
edit: I would not mind having an 1800 water cooled bus, also with the 010 transmission. Or four speed. Very reliable, very repairable.
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Input needed 🤔🤔Mexican water cooled bus any good???? Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
Hello sambanistas before I do something stupid and think with the wrong head fthought I’d check in here….😀
..so I’m looking at a 90’s Mexican bus with the 1800 I’ve had the motor in the golf and Jetta fantastic engine and I know German busses inside out but nothing of the Mexican bus looks like a bay met a vanagon and had kids!
What should I look for in the water cooled plumbing system???
Does it have a decent heater?
I’ve owned 5 vanagons of all the various models except the single cab each was a pain in the butt always engine problems or auto transmissions hence my hesitation

This would be my daily driver dumb idea or do able
🤔what’s your thoughts!

Make sure you have a good look underneath at the steel cooling pipes running front to rear. They can and do often rust out, so if they are already looking very rusty, you may need to change them soon. They're available in stainless steel, but cost a small fortune!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Input needed 🤔🤔Mexican water cooled bus any good???? Reply with quote

I would own one of those Buses if ever given the opportunity.

I used some kind of marine exhaust rubber pipe for my coolant lines in my TDI Bus, so if the pipes are rusted out, that would be a good option.

The one caveat is, I do not think they had any sort of heater at all.

It would be super easy to add a heater to the back, and not hard to add one up front. I used two Vanagon rear heaters in my Bus, though if I were to do it again, I've noticed that the Eurovan rear heater is already made to be mounted underneath, so that is what I'd use in the front.

In my TDI Westy, that is enough to make it not freezing cold, even comfortable in the winter. But the diesel heater is what makes it warm

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: