Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door popped out.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

Drove the newly kinda-finished bus to a party showed off the new bus. Sliding door got more action than usual.

Part of the “newly finished” part did not include sliding door wheels or brackets. The track looked good. Wheels looked ok so I re-used everything in the re-build. And the door worked great.

So what should i look for that would cause the lower front wheels to come off the track?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
So what should i look for that would cause the lower front wheels to come off the track?

Rollers worn, missing or damaged, track itself grooved, sagged or full of holes, guide channel bent or somehow F'd up?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

Take it apart and look for what’s broken
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

Mine would fall off because my track had a couple rust holes in it
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

my detective skills are getting better. I found a bent spot on the track. The vertical rib running the length of the threshold.

that is the SPOT that it came off on me. The other times, someone else had the handle in their hand, so I did not know.

Does it look bent enough? Damn, it is not much, but visible. Nothing looks broken, but maybe the wheels could be improved with new. what do you think?

Crappy close up video, but you get the jist.

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

Seems it's had rear or upper carrier issues in the past, multiple tweaks in the track..., but that alone shouldn't be to blame. Your movie didn't show the lower track the roller rides on, if it's riding low then little divots can become big problems when your buddies start fiddling with the door.

You've fully absorbed Amskeptics sliding door refresh threads, right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

New wheels etc… are on order.

It does seem that the surface that holds the door up, the horizontal (bottom) surface that the vertical wheel rides on, is bumpy and ruff. I believe causing the old horizontal wheel to drop down enough to allow the horizontal wheel to go under the vertical rib.

Can anything be done, short of cutting and replacing?

Was thinking about a long “L” shaped repair piece that would improve the wheel riding surface. Maybe could weld the vertical part of the “L” to the back of the wheel channel where no wheels ride. Maybe?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

I've contemplated panel bonding a strip of stainless steel over a rough track, but ended up replacing the track due to other issues so I don't know if it would work.

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I've contemplated panel bonding a strip of stainless steel over a rough track, but ended up replacing the track due to other issues so I don't know if it would work.

I do have some of that left over. Can't hurt to try. I will install all the new wheels etc.... and see how they work.

If "not too good", I will see about the angle fix with panel bond. Did not think of that stuff. Was thinking angle so i could weld it and not have the wheel hit any welds, but with panel bond, i might not need the angle, just a strip, like you mentioned. Thanks.

If anyone has tried that or something else, please let me know. Not sure how even new wheels are gonna work on a bumpy surface.

It might take a lot of searching to find, but I was also thinking about a TALLER horizontal wheel. I am assuming that is what is dropping down and allowing the bracket to pop out.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door popped out. Reply with quote

I skimmed through the thread and did not watch the video, but I wanted
to throw this out there since I just had a similar issue, maybe it’ll help. My door was getting jammed up and popping off the track on the bottom. Last weekend I realized that the top roller was coming out of the groove, so I put two washers under the roller and the door works good as new. That’s not to say there’s not a problem on the bottom, but this was a super easy, effective fix. My rollers are pitted pretty bad, but after seeing how much they cost I’m going to stick with what I have until I find a good used set. Good luck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: