Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 dual master cylinder wiring
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Freeflydenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Hello, hoping someone can help..
Bought a new 1961 wiring harness. It only had 2 master cylinder wires. My master cylinder has 2 / 2 prong cylinders. Can I just hook it up to one or do I need some sort of splinter?
I figure it's easier to ask you all then to try a thousand different ways.
Thanks in advance..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Check this out. I think it is what you need:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7370731
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Freeflydenny wrote:
Hello, hoping someone can help..
Bought a new 1961 wiring harness. It only had 2 master cylinder wires. My master cylinder has 2 / 2 prong cylinders. Can I just hook it up to one or do I need some sort of splinter?
I figure it's easier to ask you all then to try a thousand different ways.
Thanks in advance..

Those 2 prong switches don't have the 'idiot light in the dash feature'. You could pick one switch (either) and connect the two wires to it and have brake lights.

To connect to both switches will involve splicing wires and have two quick dis connects on each wire so the can be connected in parallel.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Hell. Connect 'em in series. It'll work that way too!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Series: downside is any one fails and you lose brake lights... no redundancy.
Parallel: Redundancy means either will make your brake lights work. Downside is that you won't knew when one fails unless you check them periodically.
I vote parallel.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
you won't knew when one fails unless you check them periodically.

After years of driving many different vehicles with dual brakes and having had 1/2 of dual brake circuit fail in some of them. There will be 2 'clues', one is the pedal goes WAY down to the floor (like you need to bleed the brakes down) and the seat upholstery will pucker underneath you at the same time.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

I wire only to the one closest to the brake pedal. That one activates as soon as you even lightly touch the brakes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

After years of driving many different vehicles with dual brakes and having had 1/2 of dual brake circuit fail in some of them. There will be 2 'clues', one is the pedal goes WAY down to the floor (like you need to bleed the brakes down) and the seat upholstery will pucker underneath you at the same time.

I didn't mean that one brake fluid circuit fails, I meant that the senders fail more often these days, and you won't know until the BOTH fail.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

I didn't mean that one brake fluid circuit fails, I meant that the senders fail more often these days, and you won't know until the BOTH fail.

Embarassed
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Go to your FLAPS and get two of these tandem connectors. (This picture is insanely oversized.)

Plug one onto each connector on one switch on the MC. Connect the one of the two wires you have to each tandem connector on the switch. Make jumpers to jump from each tandem connector to the terminals on the other switch.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

I would recommend these insulated types. They stay more secure under vibration and won't risk a short to ground if they come loose.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125312105464?chn=ps&n...GAQAvD_BwE

You make short jumpers to each switch, preferably using factory-style double crimps.
Freeflydenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Thanks All!! Much appreciated!
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I would recommend these insulated types. They stay more secure under vibration and won't risk a short to ground if they come loose.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125312105464?chn=ps&n...GAQAvD_BwE

You make short jumpers to each switch, preferably using factory-style double crimps.

That looks like three male spades. That's not what you want. You want a female and two males. They do make shielded 2m 1 f connectors.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
That looks like three male spades. That's not what you want. You want a female and two males.

if the 'jumper' wires have female on both ends why wouldn't what KTPhil suggest work?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

Or... For the sake of simplicity... you could just bin one and put in a plug in it's place Idea Shocked

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
That looks like three male spades. That's not what you want. You want a female and two males.

if the 'jumper' wires have female on both ends why wouldn't what KTPhil suggest work?

It could work. You would just have to make 4 jumpers with female connectors on each end instead of 2. There are multiple ways to skin this cat. Some are more efficient than others.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Or... For the sake of simplicity... you could just bin one and put in a plug in it's place Idea Shocked

yep. That's what I do, and only use the one closest to the firewall / Pedal
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Go to your FLAPS and get two of these tandem connectors. (This picture is insanely oversized.)

Plug one onto each connector on one switch on the MC. Connect the one of the two wires you have to each tandem connector on the switch. Make jumpers to jump from each tandem connector to the terminals on the other switch.

I'm concerned about the strength and exposure of those so I generally use this style. (Ancor 230613 for when that link no longer works)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

How “stock” are you looking for? Prior to the dash warning light introduction, the dual circuit master cylinders were wired at the factory with two wires each in a single, larger Faston (female spade) terminal for parallel circuit operation. You can get the connectors with different insulation thickness sizes to accommodate two wires.

I don’t know when they were used but I have an older harness for parts that has white plastic plugs that directly plug on to the brake light switches. I think the same plug is also used on externally regulated alternators. Wolfsburg west sells most of it but doesn’t have a photo of the two-prong switch plug.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113945525
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945525
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113945521
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 dual master cylinder wiring Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

It could work. You would just have to make 4 jumpers with female connectors on each end instead of 2. There are multiple ways to skin this cat. Some are more efficient than others.

This is how I wired my dual circuit MC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: