Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Redtec
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
LarryMart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Redtec Reply with quote

I have done a lot of reading through the air conditioning threads, but have question....
Is Redtec still in business, and how do you get a hold of a supplier. I have unsuccessfully tried to call the number on a website, and to "contact" them via the same site. Just before I give up and go the the 134 route... anyone know if and how this can be bought in the US?

Thanks!
larry

91Multivan
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

I saw "Redtec" for sale up here in Canada (B.C.) about a week ago, but who knows, maybe it's the last of the stock.

It's just a mix of Propane and (iso)butane, an earlier marketer of the stuff was the "Duracool" company.

If both these companies are out of business one would think someone else would fill the niche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

There is a reason that the OE manufacturers do not use flammable gases as refrigerants. But if you have to you can fill it with Propane. After all for a long time and probably still today most large refrigerant systems used Ammonia.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

FYI: I used Enviro-tek* in ~2015 when it was easier to source than RedTek…YMMV.

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/?site=dom

- Dave
————
*EDIT: “Envirosafe”…sorry, I misspoke. Embarassed Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

Envirosafe is what I use:

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/products/w/id/31/t/134a-replacement/
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

How do these hydrocarbon based refrigerants compare to R134, performance -wise?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

The hydrocarbon-based refrigerants work well. I have been using RedTek which is found everywhere here in the Great White North (GWN). I am a skeptic and believe that a few exploding refrigerators in the 1930's were the reason Dupont was able to scam the world with Freon for decades while we destroyed the ozone layer with Freon emissions.

There are several advantages in using RedTek over R134A:

1. No damage to the ozone layer;

2. It works with any of the common automotive AC systems oils. This does not mean that you can mix oils. R12 (used in OEMs up to around 1993) used mineral oil as the compressor lube. R-134A requires, in most instances, the correct (for the type and model of compressor) viscosity of PAG oil. For those who "retrofit" an R-12 system to use R-134A, the old (crappy) approach was to remove from the AC system as much mineral oil as possible and then use Ester oil. When using RedTek, you don't need to do this dance and can keep the mineral oil, which is still available for purchase.

3. RedTek
molecules are larger than R134A molecules. This allows you to use the existing old-style R-12 hoses on your older vehicle, provided those hoses are not otherwise degraded or leaky. By contrast, R-134A, with smaller molecules, can (and does) leach out right through healthy R-12 AC hoses.

4. RedTek operates at lower pressure head, which means that for a given cooling demand in your system, the high-pressure side will operate at lower pressures. When operating at higher pressures, the compressor requires more power (and exerts more drag on your engine) than the same system filled with R-12 or RedTek.

5. Did I mention Ozone?

On availability, I believe that RedTek is far easier to obtain up here in the GWN and I don't profess to know if they are a Canadian company. I see it in all the auto-stores up here. By contrast, it's almost impossible to find cans of R-134A up here, which may explain why so many FLAPS sell RedTek up here.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

is there any sort of odorant to the flammable refrigerants? granted, nearly all LARGE leaks on AC occur outside the enclosed cab due to punctures/corrosion of the bits in the weather and flying debris.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

I don't know about RedTek, but the Envirosafe stuff lists "Pine scent" as an ingredient. All flammable HC refrigerants are illegal in many states, however, including mine, irrespective of the SNAP regs. So there is that...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm still using R12. Bad for the ozone if it were to leak, but it doesn't leak.
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

A friend put this stuff in his older T-Bird, and said that his AC was able to keep up in Death Valley.

Propane and Butane have very much lower heat capacity than chlorinated (and flourinated) hydrocarbons aka Freons. So while they can transfer heat quite satisfactorily, they cannot transfer it at so high a rate as the Freon type refrigerants. So the system will be "on" more often (albeit drawing proportionately less engine power while doing so).
This is not a bad thing, so long as the system cools satisfactorily.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
is there any sort of odorant to the flammable refrigerants? granted, nearly all LARGE leaks on AC occur outside the enclosed cab due to punctures/corrosion of the bits in the weather and flying debris.

Dan: The Redtek brand has virtually no smell except for a confusingly pleasant smell you can't really describe. If it leaks, you will likely not smell it.

For those concerned about fire safety, I think the overall risk is very low. The fuel system on the Vanagon, even in perfect condition, presents a far higher risk. Ditto for the propane system, mainly due to the volume involved. The total amount of RedTek in a properly-charged Vanagon, (even in, say, a head-on collision significantly perforating the condenser), is very small - - only 165 grams per can, (typically 3 cans). That's just over one pound of the stuff. Like propane, it needs a certain fuel-to-air mixture to ignite easily.
LarryMart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

It seems that Canadian Tire is the gold mine for it. Too nad I didn't find it last week when I was visiting...Oh well, an excuse to go see my family again soon.

Thanks again,
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

My '87 came with 2 cans of Freon, and I did use up them up over three or four years. Then I started feeling bad, kuz I had a leaky AC. I got it vacuumed out and now use this stuff, seems like I can only find it on eBay...

Environment Safe. The leak stop worked well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125922945574?hash=item1d5...R4bhraGQYg
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
My '87 came with 2 cans of Freon, and I did use up them up over three or four years. Then I started feeling bad, kuz I had a leaky AC. I got it vacuumed out and now use this stuff, seems like I can only find it on eBay...

Environment Safe. The leak stop worked well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125922945574

Better direct from the manufacturer, as in the links given above:

https://www.es-refrigerants.com
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

Google still list the USA Redtek distributor in Maryville TN. I've been there before, it's about 20 minutes from me. Next time close, I'll stop in.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

I’ve used Redtek in my Westy and other vehicles for 15 years or so. Fantastic product.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

I was going to pick some up at Canadian Tire when I go up later this week, but I see that Walmart sells it online in the U.S. I'll have to compare the prices with the exchange rate.

Ed in CT

LarryMart wrote:
I have done a lot of reading through the air conditioning threads, but have question....
Is Redtec still in business, and how do you get a hold of a supplier. I have unsuccessfully tried to call the number on a website, and to "contact" them via the same site. Just before I give up and go the the 134 route... anyone know if and how this can be bought in the US?

Thanks!
larry

91Multivan

LarryMart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

Found it!

https://www.redtekstore.com/
Will be delivered tomorrow.
I don't know why I couldn't get to that site before?!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Redtec Reply with quote

I am currently restoring my system, on the fence about if I should charge it with Redtec or 134a. Going to be all new hoses, condenser, and compressor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: