Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Manx project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

I found this beautiful Manx two weeks ago and got to see it for the first time this morning. It was about 600 miles away from me but my buddy Chris Hersh volunteered his time to go pick it up and bring it to me. So this morning at 1:30 he showed up and we unloaded it.

It looks like a good early 70's type build. The Commando XT70's and Grantmaster Super 120 tires go all the way back to the mid 60's so who knows how old the tires are. One of the tires must have a flat spot or a bulge because it was a bumpy ride. It has a bit of a crash in the hood that they tried to cover up with flat paint but overall this Manx is in great shape.

Immediate plans are to replace the tires, go through the brakes and tune it up. It's a bit rough at idle and the front brakes pull to the right. Future plans will include fixing the hood (see you soon Miguel), replacing the seats with something a little more 1970, and replacing the cracked windshield. I'd also like to find the same wheels but maybe a different offset to pull them in under the fenders a bit more.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Congratulations on your find. It look like it a cool period Manx.
Did you find any parts at the Bugarama?
I looked for you after I setup the Wampuskitty in the show area.

Also cool looking Vaquero buggy you have.

This is when I first put my Kick Out together

This what it looks like now.

I like orange buggies too.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Motion Tire Motorsports
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Joseph, it really is a small world. Miguel had described the rack on your truck and when you turned in to Bugorama I knew it had to be you.

I got a couple of parts but nothing too exciting. If you are ever down this way (Morgan Hill) reach out to me. If I'm up your way I'll reach out.

I hung out at your car for a while but didn't see you.

Your Kick Out is beautiful!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Sweet period correct Manx! I love it, clean and uncluttered!

I wish I was close enough to buy those seats, they look very comfortable for long distance drives! Good luck with the tune up and let us know how it turns out. I see several things you might want to change to make it run better but try the tune up first.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sweet period correct Manx! I love it, clean and uncluttered!

I wish I was close enough to buy those seats, they look very comfortable for long distance drives! Good luck with the tune up and let us know how it turns out. I see several things you might want to change to make it run better but try the tune up first.

I'm all ears for things to change to make it run better. Will start with getting an intake that has the heat risers. Need to change the plugs and get a blue Bosch coil. I usually get rid of the points too and install a Pertronix but haven't even looked to see if they have those. Probably will go to an alternator too to get rid of the external regulator.

Here's some shots of the engine.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Sorry I missed seeing you. My Brother and I setup in the car show and then went to the swap meet area.
Here a picture of my Ford truck with a different buggy rack on it. I had to build a new rack as it not fit the Dodge bed. The Manxter Dual Sport I built before the Kick Out.
I sold it to another club member. When I built it in 2008 there was only about five Dual Sports that had been finish and drivable.

Motion Tire Motorsports
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

I will just tell you what I would change on the engine if it were my Buggy. You can do as you like.

1) find a stock distributor that matches the carb, with vacuum advance. Pertronics are WAY over rated, been there, done that and it failed in very few miles. Points last for years and require very little attention. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711733&highlight=

2) move the fuel filter to over the transaxle. Then if it leaks it won't be on the ignition wires.

3) with the intake change, drill the exhaust heat riser port on the left side but on the right side cut the flange off, build a 1/2" tube to go from the intake to the "U" bend just before the muffler. Have it extend into the middle of the "U" bend and slash cut the tip facing the muffler. That will give you good flow through the heat riser. More ideas in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755518&highlight=

4) take the air cleaner off and check to see that it has a tube above the carb to contain the fuel stand off. I think the stock one was about 3 or 4 inches tall. I would bet the farm that yours doesn't.

5) complete the cooling system with all the bottom tins, thermostat and flaps for more consistent engine temperatures all around. Helps make the engine easier to tune, improves drivability by running more consistent highway vs around town, the engine lasts longer and warms up quicker.

I just run the stock generator but then I have no extra lights, fancy sound systems and don't do much night driving.

This is all based on personal experience with stockish engines over the years. Do as you like.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I will just tell you what I would change on the engine if it were my Buggy. You can do as you like.

1) find a stock distributor that matches the carb, with vacuum advance. Pertronics are WAY over rated, been there, done that and it failed in very few miles. Points last for years and require very little attention. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711733&highlight=

2) move the fuel filter to over the transaxle. Then if it leaks it won't be on the ignition wires.

3) with the intake change, drill the exhaust heat riser port on the left side but on the right side cut the flange off, build a 1/2" tube to go from the intake to the "U" bend just before the muffler. Have it extend into the middle of the "U" bend and slash cut the tip facing the muffler. That will give you good flow through the heat riser. More ideas in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755518&highlight=

4) take the air cleaner off and check to see that it has a tube above the carb to contain the fuel stand off. I think the stock one was about 3 or 4 inches tall. I would bet the farm that yours doesn't.

5) complete the cooling system with all the bottom tins, thermostat and flaps for more consistent engine temperatures all around. Helps make the engine easier to tune, improves drivability by running more consistent highway vs around town, the engine lasts longer and warms up quicker.

I just run the stock generator but then I have no extra lights, fancy sound systems and don't do much night driving.

This is all based on personal experience with stockish engines over the years. Do as you like.

Sounds like good ideas thanks for pointing them out. The only one I'm not clear on is the fuel stand off tube. Do you have a picture of one? Assume that with such a short air cleaner it may not be there.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Ok, you will have to overlook my redneck air cleaner warm air intake system using a coffee can and a cookie tin. The base for all that was cut off a stock VW oil bath air cleaner so the actual fuel stand off tube is the stock one. It measures 2.5" on the inside down to the carb or 3" total on the outside including the 1/2" that slips over the carb and the clamp goes around.

This is what the bottom looks like.

Two shots from the top.

And with the air cleaner on, not that it matters...

I hope that helps.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
Sounds like good ideas thanks for pointing them out. The only one I'm not clear on is the fuel stand off tube. Do you have a picture of one? Assume that with such a short air cleaner it may not be there.

If you look inside a stock oil bath air filter from a Bug you will see the inside tube goes from the carb to top of the filter. The filter mesh is updraft, then down from right under the top to the carb. That tube length above the carb is needed. I dont fully understand why, but it has to do with the pulsing airflow. Since a Berry Mini-T has no space above the fan shroud I went with a stock Bus/Ghia 40 horse air cleaner pipe for the effect. With a Manx I suspect you have room for a stock filter or short extension pipe between the carb and an aftermarket air filter.

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

I was trying to make sure my aftermarket air cleaner fit my carburetor better, i.e. without leaking. (See: Tiny hole directly above funky old hose clamp center of top left pic.) Bought a drain plumbing connector at Home Depot, and cut it up to do the job. It ended up giving me a short little velocity stack. So that while achieving my leak-free goal, to my amazement it made my engine run better; smoother, stronger, even at idle, allowing me to lower idle RPM to ~600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Well done Doug. It seems you have a serious addiction to kit cars. There's probably a 12 step program for that, you know. Laughing

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

Where’s the Vokaro?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Well done Doug. It seems you have a serious addiction to kit cars. There's probably a 12 step program for that, you know. Laughing

My wife sent you right?
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
dlyle wrote:

If you look inside a stock oil bath air filter from a Bug you will see the inside tube goes from the carb to top of the filter. The filter mesh is updraft, then down from right under the top to the carb. That tube length above the carb is needed. I dont fully understand why, but it has to do with the pulsing airflow. Since a Berry Mini-T has no space above the fan shroud I went with a stock Bus/Ghia 40 horse air cleaner pipe for the effect. With a Manx I suspect you have room for a stock filter or short extension pipe between the carb and an aftermarket air filter.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it. I may have a stock air cleaner housing somewhere around here. With the current filter there is 3.5" of clearance above it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
EVfun wrote:
dlyle wrote:
The only one I'm not clear on is the fuel stand off tube. Do you have a picture of one?

If you look inside a stock oil bath air filter from a Bug you will see the inside tube goes from the carb to top of the filter. The filter mesh is updraft, then down from right under the top to the carb. That tube length above the carb is needed.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it. I may have a stock air cleaner housing somewhere around here. With the current filter there is 3.5" of clearance above it.

I would suggest not using a 1200cc air filter (36 or 40 horsepower filter) on a later engine. Some have reported that they run rich at the top end, suggesting excess airflow restriction.

You can cut off the snorkel(s) off a stock oil bath air filter to remove the hot air intake for a buggy, not suggested if you plan to run it year-round. Some of the more knowledgeable people in the performance forum here have input on doing that correctly to improve airflow. It was over there I learned about the Bus intake elbow option when lacking room.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
dlyle wrote:
EVfun wrote:
dlyle wrote:
The only one I'm not clear on is the fuel stand off tube. Do you have a picture of one?

If you look inside a stock oil bath air filter from a Bug you will see the inside tube goes from the carb to top of the filter. The filter mesh is updraft, then down from right under the top to the carb. That tube length above the carb is needed.

I would suggest not using a 1200cc air filter (36 or 40 horsepower filter) on a later engine. Some have reported that they run rich at the top end, suggesting excess airflow restriction.

You can cut off the snorkel(s) off a stock oil bath air filter to remove the hot air intake for a buggy, not suggested if you plan to run it year-round. Some of the more knowledgeable people in the performance forum here have input on doing that correctly to improve airflow. It was over there I learned about the Bus intake elbow option when lacking room.

I won't be using a stock filter. I just have one that I can look at to see how it works. I'm not sure what I'll use. Hopefully something with a 1970'ish look.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

My wife sent you right?

Applause

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Manx project Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
dlyle wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

My wife sent you right?

Applause

I only have 8 cars/bodies in a 4 car garage...there must be a way to fit another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: