Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

So my VW friend gave me a transaxle to replace the one in my 74. It came out of a 74 with a blown motor that he bought for parts, and he says it should be a good one. Here's the deal, it is covered with what looks like undercoating. Thick, sticky tar like, and it doesn't come off easily. He thought that maybe the nose cone, or the gear case gaskets were leaking and the owner sprayed some kind of sealer on it. This would have been many years ago. Before the advent of stuff like Flexseal. The thing is, it's not just in that area. It's everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Halfway to the top of the bellhousing, starter mtg. the side cover, even the axle shafts that are still attached. We'll never know because the body is long gone, and he doesn't remember what the rest of the underside looked like. I've has some success with pressure washing, spraying it with WD40, and using a wire wheel. Rinse and repeat. I'm putting a dent in it, but not a lot What's your thoughts?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Not factory.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Not factory.
I didn't think so either, but what do think it is? Best guess without seeing it.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

RexMax wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Not factory.
I didn't think so either, but what do think it is? Best guess without seeing it.

Use a solvent of some sort, to soften the undercoating.

Believe it or not, WD-40 is a solvent.
Spray it on the coated goodies and wait a day.

The solvent should soften the undercoating a bit. Reapply as needed, until the trans is clean to your liking.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Many years of gear oil sweating out or leaking and spreading in a hot dusty climate hardens up just like undercoating, even worse if it was seeded by some sort of dealer applied "rust proofing" coating beforehand, long term solvent soaking is the only way to soften it up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

I'm not getting anywhere with this stuff. I don't expect it to look like new, but I would like it to look halfway decent, and easier to handle without looking like I've been tared and feathered. I have a portable sandblaster. Would you have any objection to trying it? I plan on replacing all the seals anyway, plug the breather hole in the nosecone, and protect the mainshaft. Blast it and then pressure wash this thing. My understanding is people use these in sand rails, so what could it hurt if I'm reasonable careful?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Don't be surprised if the sand just bounces off that stuff, but it's worth a try.

Steam and heat is also effective, or maybe a propane torch and wire brush or scraper?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

busdaddy is right, I'm going through the exact same pleasantry right now, and my trans is out of my '65 which had no undercoating anywhere. Looks exactly like what you're describing, thick, heavy, coating that's tough as nails. And I agree, blasting sand would bounce off this stuff, I've tried it before (not on this particular project).

I've also tried a heavy duty heat gun, which does help prior to scraping, but be prepared for SUPER stinky smoke (or fumes at the least), which is probably worse than huffing crack from a hot spoon.

Best to use a 1" soft paint brush or similar, work in small-ish areas at a time, and soften the stuff up with solvents like mentioned already. I also got some nice little plastic scrapers off Amazon for this, because I didn't want to gouge up the case with a screwdriver or putty knives. Your mileage may vary, but I take LONG breaks between, like a week here and a week there!

Mine...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

I'm also tempted to try some paint remover. I have a gallon of the not
environmentally friendly stuff. It will take your skin off. I may try that in a small area and see how it does. I'll let you know how that goes.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Agree with busdaddy that is just crap from axle grease or maybe gear oil hardened up and dried out over the years. Both of my spare autostick trannies I have had that gunk on them.
I had some pretty good luck with oven cleaner, might try that to loosen it up and then scrape it off.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Agree with busdaddy that is just crap from axle grease or maybe gear oil hardened up and dried out over the years. Both of my spare autostick trannies I have had that gunk on them.
I had some pretty good luck with oven cleaner, might try that to loosen it up and then scrape it off.
Oven cleaner. Good call. I've used it before on the tin work, and it worked great. I completely forgot.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Watch out for oven cleaner on aluminium though!!! Very corrosive.

As suggested above I would try some kind of steam cleaning service.
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

X2, some oven cleaners will remove more transmission metal than goo, be careful.
The paint stripper might work though.

Слава Україні!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

If you use oven cleaner which I found to be the fastest do not spray on and walk away. Coat the trans, watch it attack the grime, give it a scrub with a brush and with a a small tool dig out the crud in corners, rinse off and coat again, repeat as needed. Use a soapy mixture after the final coat of oven cleaner is rinsed off. Oven cleaner will leave the case with a dullish grey appearance.

Put a a little plug in the vent hole so none of the cleaner makes its way inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Looks like mine did.
Diesel and a lot of scraping with wood and plastic.
Followed by a good pressure wash.

Good Luck
RexMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
X2, some oven cleaners will remove more transmission metal than goo, be careful.
The paint stripper might work though.
the paint stripper did not work. All it did was turn that stuff into a slimy mess that spread it even more. The oven cleaner on the other hand is working. I got 6 cans at the dollar store, it was cheap, and it's not very strong. I wouldn't wash my face with it, but it takes quite awhile to make a dent in it. I spray it on a small area, wait 2 hours, and hit with a wire brush. How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle undercoating. Was it ever done by a dealer? Reply with quote

Original Easy-Off (sp), the stuff that burns your eyes and makes you gag, not the environmental friendly stuff. Also Castro Super Clean full strength will work. If the stuff you got is that weak just leave on a little longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: