Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me identify a broken piece
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

My 88 Westfalia got hit hard by hail 2 weeks ago. I found this piece on the floor next to the passenger side and I can't place where it came from. Has Bosch stamped on it.

Do you recognize it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

Check where your windshield wiper blades connect to the arms.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Check where your windshield wiper blades connect to the arms.

First thing I checked and doesn't seem to be it. I'll check again tomorrow because the hail broke the windshield.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

It's part of the flip cover Hans described.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I don't see where this piece fits on the wipers.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS896U...p;dpr=1.25
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

That link was not helpful.
MartinJS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
SCM wrote:

That link was not helpful.

It kind of was, it shows a bunch of pics of different wiper blades many of which have the type of attachment point cover which you are holding in the pics you posted.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

Zoti- I think other are saying that the plastic piece was from a shroud that covered part of the wiper arm, supposedly to count down on wind noise/drag. My van had this intact on the driver's side. It's not part of the actual wiper arm and is not included on the aftermarket offerings, at least as listed at Van Cafe.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Zoti- I think other are saying that the plastic piece was from a shroud that covered part of the wiper arm, supposedly to count down on wind noise/drag. My van had this intact on the driver's side. It's not part of the actual wiper arm and is not included on the aftermarket offerings, at least as listed at Van Cafe.

It's not from the driver side piece. That's still all there. I don't think it's from the wiper blades. I have pictures from before the hail and that piece is not on them.

Before the hail

After

bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

Maybe it's just coincidentally on the ground from another vehicle, because others are likely correct that it is from a set of wipers - someone's set of wipers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

It's apparent you have a more pressing issue...
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

It's not from the driver side piece. That's still all there. I don't think it's from the wiper blades. I have pictures from before the hail and that piece is not on them.

Before the hail

After

That windshield is hammered , how was the rest of the van? any dents?
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
zoti wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Before the hail

After

That windshield is hammered , how was the rest of the van? any dents?

A few dents under the windshield. The rest did not get hit hard. The hail came from the side of the windshield so that's the part that took damage.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a broken piece Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
A few dents under the windshield. The rest did not get hit hard. The hail came from the side of the windshield so that's the part that took damage.

I'm glad it wasn't worse.

In 2009, before I bought my van we had an epic hail storm. Luckily I rode my bicycle to work that day so my car was in the garage. My wife's car got pretty banged up but it worked to our advantage since insurance paid to replace the hood which had issues before the storm.

We had to replace the roof on our house and a window in the garage. It was interesting to learn that there are entire populations of tradesmen (roofers, paintless dent removers, windshield installers, etc.) that travel the county following major hail storms.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: