Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window clip
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
scottkinwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Window clip Reply with quote

Ok, this is such a simple problem, but I have not figured out what I am doing wrong. I have tried to install these clips, but after once or twice of lowering the window, the clip comes down the with "gasket".

I have tried it with the tab pointing forward and backward. I slide it so that the tab clips into the hole in the door. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

Not sure how you started out, but the clips get installed into the door channel first. Usually you need a flat blade screwdriver and hammer to get the clip to snap into its slot. The tab on the clip in your photo looks a little bent out too far to snap in (too many tries?). Once all the clips are in, the gasket pushes straight up into the clip. Once the entire gasket is in, it should not move from side to side, so the clips should stay in place. Are you using new or old clips? If new, they may not be made well, or out of the spring steel need to make them snap in to place.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

This video demonstrates removal and proper installation of these clips.

8:07 - 13:20 Removal

21:30 - 23:30 Installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m578JxH_YGc

New clips are a good idea. Old ones will often break during removal or re-installation. The barbs on new clips usually have better bite on the channel.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
scottkinwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. So far, I have broken the tab off of three of these. I have ordered more and hope they may be made of better material.
scottkinwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

Problem solved. The last batch of clips was the problem. No matter how gently I installed them, the tab would bust off. Bought some new ones, and they worked fine.
thank for the advise!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

scottkinwa wrote:
Problem solved. The last batch of clips was the problem. No matter how gently I installed them, the tab would bust off. Bought some new ones, and they worked fine.
thank for the advise!

Ok great news that you found a vendor with a window seal that installs correctly.
Nice job.

Can you share with the samba, who you bought your good fitting seals from?
I'm sure that folks here would like to patronize a vendor with good fitting parts.
Instead of the garbage we order and have to fight to make fit, 3 times. Laughing

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottkinwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Window clip Reply with quote

Sure, I got them off of Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175570395462
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: