Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blanket stuck in rear bench latch.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

The latch is locked but the pull knob never went back into position. Seat won't move and neither will the blanket. What's the fix?

I tried to search but grew impatient - as is my nature.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

sit on the seat and pull the latch hard then stand and lift the seat up all the while holding the knob out. if you're light, get two people!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

I'll give it a shot, but since the knob is already "pulled out" with the seat locked, I'm not sure it's the way.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

just yank on it.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

Do you mean 'pull out' or 'pull up'?

My latch knob is very definitely 'lift up'. No 'out' involved.
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

My knob pulls out and, as stated, did not go back into the "in" position it should be in when the bench seat is locked down. So the seat is "locked" and the knob is "out". I'm not able to lift the seat or flatten the bench into the bed.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

Can you try getting like a ruler or something flat there
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

No, there is no room and there is no movement in the seat at all. It's locked in place.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

it might be possible to remove mattress and fish a coat hanger in from the back to hook/engage the latch mechanism
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

if the blanket is the problem, is it caught in the latch or just putting upward tension on the latch?

if the latter, cut the hanging part of the blanket off, assuming not an heirloom wool one, and tap the blanket back into the storage area with a putty knife and mallet.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

It's completely caught in the latch. I'll likely cut the blanket regardless, but while not an heirloom, it is a great wool blanket.

I'm wondering if there's a way to disassemble the bench from the outside? Without a saw of course.

Unless I get this figured, I guess I'll be sleeping upstairs for a while. It's a rude 3am pee run from up there.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

You have the camper foam on plywood seat?

Pull out on the knob fully, get a construction flat pry bar and push, bang it in between the seat bottom and the latch.

Odds are high that this wedge action alone will unjam the blanket in the latch and pop the seat loose.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

schortie wrote:
Unless I get this figured, I guess I'll be sleeping upstairs for a while. It's a rude 3am pee run from up there.

that's what a Gatorade bottle is for.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

This may be one of the most frustrating Vanagon events. Next step is to figure out how to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I removed the latch to make opening the seat a one hand affair and love the convenience.

See this thread for the ideas along those lines (I'd still like to use a gas spring and a non-jammable latch)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721523

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You have the camper foam on plywood seat?

Pull out on the knob fully, get a construction flat pry bar and push, bang it in between the seat bottom and the latch.

Odds are high that this wedge action alone will unjam the blanket in the latch and pop the seat loose.

Dave

This sounds like it may be the way. Wish me luck when I give it a shot this afternoon.

Thanks for all the replies.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

Well? Are we unstuck now?

Craig
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

My god, think of the blanket!
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Well? Are we unstuck now?

I've been sitting on the edge of my bench seat waiting for the results.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Blanket stuck in rear bench latch. Reply with quote

Let me just issue a blanket statement: If this hasn't been covered before, get down on your hands and knees and pull the blanket up toward your chin. Roll to one side in the fetal position and rest your head on your tool bag. Dream of the blanket coming free. If you need help, ask Mr. Sandman. Be careful who you ask for help. Don't get fleeced.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: