Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So here is the story
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyinabq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: So here is the story Reply with quote

The bus is in a parking space I rented in a parking garage. I hope it is safe.

I replaced the engine and the transmission before my trip out. I also converted it to fuel injection. After getting everything in the bus it would not fire. I wasn't getting pulse to the injectors. I am ok with most things but fuel injection and electrical are not my strong points, so I took it to a shop.

The mechanic there found that the fuel pump relay was not getting power. Apparently that wire had been removed over the years (After the bus had been converted to carbureted). The mechanic cut into the wiring harness and ran a hot wire over the engine from the harness to the fuel pump relay on the drivers side rear engine bulkhead. He did not fuse this wire (I later learned that it sould have been routed to the coil). Over the trip the wire rubbed on the intake manifold and eventually grounded.

When the wire grounded it caused an electrical fire and melted the hot wire. The harness is very charred in the back of the bus to about were it enters the tube that carries it to the front of the bus. There was smoke in the front under the dash after the brief electrical fire but I don’t see any obvious damage there.

The odd thing is that the bus will still start and run with the key but it does not turn off with the key. I had to disconnect the coil wire to kill the engine and then the battery so it would not go dead.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanic must have been a PO in a former life to make that kind of modification.

I'd be laying bricks if that happened to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think the fuel pump is supposed to be run off a relay attached to the oil pressure unit when doing it in a retro fashion. If you get in a wreck with this thing, just about the last thing in the world you need (short of getting run over by a Mack truck!) is your fuel pump running and pumping gas all over.

Originally there is a switch in the AFM to get her going and the continued operation is part of the double relay which takes over after the bus starts up.

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/DoubleRelay.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonyinabq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Great info Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info! Nice website.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: