Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 ma$ter cylinder??????
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
hmmm, let's see....
under $200 for the correct, German part....
OR
a few thousand for bodywork and who knows how much for medical bills and other expenses due to an accident....

gee, i think i'll take the ~$200 option. i have always felt that brakes are one place NOT to be a cheap ass. your life (and others) depends on them.

I have never been in an acident and like I said earlier in the post I have single circuit on all my VWs. Why is it we should have to have a dual circuit? I dont think its needed.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not needed, just prefered. I agree that if you maintain your breaking system a Single circuit is perfectly fine. The only problem is, when you have a pinhole in a hose or line, and you pump your brakes. It might be the last chance you get to slow down, cause you aint stopping!

The only things I've had go wrong are brake lines rusting, hoses cracking and leaking (or getting rubbed through), and a faulty brazilian master that would boil brake fluid because the ports to return fluid to the resivoir were blocked. A car would have to be sitting a Long time without being used to have a bad wheel cylinder, unless the bore just got so worn the seal wouldn't hold (never seen it).

When I was using the single circuit brakes, they were plenty stopping force for what I needed. Now that I'm going to be hauling stuff and towing I am putting a baywindow brake booster and 944 brakes on. Just got the booster fitted yesterday and lines plumbed, now I have to locate some caliper bolts that I lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hmmm, let's see....
under $200 for the correct, German part....
OR
a few thousand for bodywork and who knows how much for medical bills and other expenses due to an accident....

gee, i think i'll take the ~$200 option. i have always felt that brakes are one place NOT to be a cheap ass. your life (and others) depends on them.

If all the brakes are the same, The busses are the same. and the only 2 diffrent things are the master and only being one line for the front. how would that cause you to get in a accident?

If you mess up a brake line in anything your going to replace it . your not going to leave it cause it only a single master.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is this... On a dual circuit system if you lose the front brakes you will still have rears and visa versa. On a single system you will lose all your brakes. There is no difference in braking power between the two.
biggraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from ebay for $75!
Once I install it you can have my bay window stuff that's in there if you cover the postage.....
I like the dual circuits, and postage youn't be too much.
Just a thought
Graham
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I lived in San Diego I went down to BAP import parts and priced up an M/C for my 67 and I think it was like $250 at the time,,,something rediculous like that....Anyway I went back a couple of weeks later after I got the money together and there were these other guys behind the counter...I asked for the M/C and they were all confused over the part numbers....they weren't good with the computer.....anyway they ended up selling it to me for I think $35 bucks,,,,, yea baby!!!
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamperKitJay wrote:
Back when I lived in San Diego I went down to BAP import parts and priced up an M/C for my 67 and I think it was like $250 at the time,,,something rediculous like that....Anyway I went back a couple of weeks later after I got the money together and there were these other guys behind the counter...I asked for the M/C and they were all confused over the part numbers....they weren't good with the computer.....anyway they ended up selling it to me for I think $35 bucks,,,,, yea baby!!!

Jay- That was IPD, Import Parts Depot if I recall correctly, right?

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea bren I think your right!!! been awhile.... J
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still sell the 67 masters for $175.00 with grommets. How long I can do this I don't know. The price on parts from Germany have risen 20 to 40%
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: