Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy Question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetPsycho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Buggy Question Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm knew here and I have question. I just bought a fiberglass body (not sure what kind). I was told that I had to use an early bug pan, with a beam front end. Why?
I have a guy at work that wants to trade me a 74 Super Beetle for my Jeep. Is there a reason hat I can't use this pan? I know that it has a strut front end. What makes this not usable?
Like I said, I'm new to the whole buggy thing. Up until now its been all sandrails.

Thanks
Psycho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the super won't work as a direct "bolt-on" due to the struts. They bolt to the body on a super. In order to use that pan you'd need to cut the frame head off and install a link pin or ball joint head and the beam etc...

Your not limited to an "early" pan either. When and if you start looking just make sure it's a "standard" model type 1. And decide what rear suspension you prefer and go from there.
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MDetro.

However, some fiberglass bodies were designed specifically for early pans, using the swingaxle rear end. (68 and earlier). These early buggy bodies had integrated battery boxes that interfere with IRS type trailing arms, and need modification to work.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: