Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rollbars and canoes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Rollbars and canoes Reply with quote

Does anyone here use their Thing to haul a canoe or kayak? I'm thinking of getting a rollbar/showbar and would like to be able to put the top down, toss the canoe on top and head for the lake. The only rollbar I've seen on a Thing was a home made job that was extremely flimsy. How solid are the stock rollbars? I don't want to spend the money if it's something that's going to deform the first time I tie down and haul the canoe (12ft, fiberglass/wood, 50lb). Any suggestions?
Thanks...

Kristi
http://home.earthlink.net/~critter_mom/ozinvw.htm :mrgreen:
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Thingshop's rollbar, which is about as close to stock as you can get (they added a bend to the front tubes, so that you don't hit your head as easily as with the originals). Anyway, this is a very strong rollbar. You'll have no problem whatsoever with a 50lb canoe. I've actually put a few wooden planks on top of this rollbar, and used it as a makeshift scaffold, when I needed to do some work in the rafters of my garage - the thing is solid.

I've car-topped plenty of boats in the past (had a 150lb wooden boat on an audi for years), and this rollbar is way more sturdy than the rack I used back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hauled lumber on mine( 2 dozen 2x4's ) with tie downs. Make sure you get a two hoop. I've seen several. I have a six point that is a one piece from a gentlemen in WA state

his is a pic http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=81041

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=81044

if you need to ship use box brothers they are the least expensive
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I feel better about spending the money knowing I'm getting something sturdy. I will have to have it shipped, so I'll definitely keep Box Brothers in mind.

Kristi
http://home.earthlink.net/~critter_mom/ozinvw.htm :mrgreen:
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most roll cages or bars are designed to withhold the weight of the car when rolled, maybe except cheap show bars. Now if you plan to install a real cage you need not to worry about braking it while transporting a canoe or a surf board. You may even go to your local furniture store and buy a new bed and transport it on a good cage. I transport my two little girls on it all the time. This way I don't have to listen to them fighting in the back seat... he he he Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 6 point roll cage is made out of aluminum alloy which is sturdy and light at the same time. It weighs only 42 lbs. Compare this to a steal roll bar. Wink

Besides the stiffening effect to the frame I definitely like the looks of it. But this is of course a matter of personal taste.

Cheers Dom Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristi: I got my bar from the Thing Shop...arrived on east coast in three days. Perhaps a bit pricey, but I tried for four months to find something as good. Failed. Love this unit...fit perfectly, no problems. I wrote an article for Thing Stuff about the install (since it has no instructions) and can email a copy if you wish.(or see the most recent issue of the Thing Stuff). A canoe on top would be no problem. This device is HEAVY. Bill Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: