Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dormobiles
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
cd69ny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Dormobiles Reply with quote

I recently bought a '68 Dormobile and have to do some research to find out just exactly what was inside of it. Does anyone have or know of where I can get pics or documents that would tell and show me so i can put mine back together properly?

any help is much appreciated
Dave M
payton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to type2.com and in the library there is a whole section on different interiors. im not sure how to figure out which one your bus came with but at least you will see samples of complete interiors.
surfdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 71 dormobile and the interior was just like the same year westy. The only difference I can remember is just the conversion top. Take care of it cause there aren't many of those around.

Neal
cd69ny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: '68 Dormobile Reply with quote

Neal or anyone else,

When I bought my dormobile all it came with in the interior was the folding bed in the back which was full width of the bus, no room for side cabinets, a small backwards facing "jump seat" and a sink that uses a pump and water tank, and underneath it is an icebox. I'm not even sure if the last two items are even original to my bus. When I removed the floor to see what shape the metal was underneath I found two square holes cut in the floor with grates over them just behind the front seats, were these used for something or just a owner chop-job?
Also my bus has 1/3,2/3 front bench I have been told this is pretty rare. Anyone have any info on that?
And finally there are two metal id tags located behind the driver's bench, one is obviously from VW but the other doesn't say. Could this be numbers identifying options on my dormobile?

Thanks
Dave
fred bailey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the pictures of my '69 Dormobile in the classifieds? Any questions feel free to contact me.

Fred
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chris mccoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: dormobiles Reply with quote

I have a 1971 Dormobile with the mostly complete Dormobile interior. It is quite different from the Westy interiors, which were sometimes spec'd with the Dormobile conversion.

Although Dormies are common in both walk-through and bench models, mine is a walk through, and has the layout for one. Along the driver's side, front-to-back, are:

A cabinet with a sink under a lifting counter-top. The sink has a foot pump tucked inside the cabinet, with a lever that sticks through a mouse-hole at floor height. Water comes from a plastic container that takes up the area behind the largest cabinet door...

Beneath the sink is a small cutlery drawer, and 3 cabinet doors with shelving inside.

Behind the cabinets, next to the rear seat, is the ice box, also found under a lifting counter. Oh, just in front of the icebox lid is an ashtray

Behind the passenger seat is a small closet, with rod inside, that stands as high as the seat back.

There are several storage compartments both under the rear seat (where the table/bed support is stowed), and above the engine area under the rest of the bed.

As for the stove, some have a two burner propane stove built into the
counter just forward of the sink. But many, like mine, have the stove stored under the passenger seat. When the stove is needed, the passenger seat tips forward, revealing a steel cubby in the seat back, and a fold down aluminum tray to serve as a heat shield? Things get a little less clear for me here, as my stove is missing.

I've had some people who've been around VW's a lot longer than me say it's not so, but the fuel lines are still in place for the stove, and the
propane tank was stored in the engine bay driver's side (where a second battery might go). I don't have a propane tank there, obviously, but the raised ring for the tank to sit in is there, along with the straps and buckles to keep it in place.

The tops are pretty familiar to folks in the US. The 8 foot headroom is nice!

So there you have it. This is my first post, and what better way than to dig up a thread more than a month old... I live in Seattle (Ranier Beach) and I also have a '68 Crewcab that is so rusty, the body is more apparition than real. Sad
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: dormobiles Reply with quote

chris mccoy wrote:

I've had some people who've been around VW's a lot longer than me say it's not so, but the fuel lines are still in place for the stove, and the
propane tank was stored in the engine bay driver's side (where a second battery might go). I don't have a propane tank there, obviously, but the raised ring for the tank to sit in is there, along with the straps and buckles to keep it in place.

i've seen one bay window martin walter conversion, it had the same set up for the tank/stove
http://www.oslp.org/
cd69ny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a '69 Dormobile on Ebay that is ending in 5 hours that has the interior set up that my '68 Dorm most likely had. The only thing is that my folding rear bed is the full width of the bus, there is no side closet. Also, I've decided rather than hunt down the entire camp equip. for a '68 Dormobile and then hook it all up I'm just gonna customize the interior to my comfort levels. I plan on one day using the bus to camp, I'm used to camping in tents so all the interior stuff are things are that I prolly wouldn't use anyway.

Here is the link to the ebay ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15291&item=2488448988&rd=1
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: dormobiles Reply with quote

chris mccoy wrote:
I have a 1971 Dormobile with the mostly complete Dormobile interior. It is quite different from the Westy interiors, which were sometimes spec'd with the Dormobile conversion.

Although Dormies are common in both walk-through and bench models, mine is a walk through, and has the layout for one. Along the driver's side, front-to-back, are:

A cabinet with a sink under a lifting counter-top. The sink has a foot pump tucked inside the cabinet, with a lever that sticks through a mouse-hole at floor height. Water comes from a plastic container that takes up the area behind the largest cabinet door...

Beneath the sink is a small cutlery drawer, and 3 cabinet doors with shelving inside.

Behind the cabinets, next to the rear seat, is the ice box, also found under a lifting counter. Oh, just in front of the icebox lid is an ashtray

Behind the passenger seat is a small closet, with rod inside, that stands as high as the seat back.

There are several storage compartments both under the rear seat (where the table/bed support is stowed), and above the engine area under the rest of the bed.

As for the stove, some have a two burner propane stove built into the
counter just forward of the sink. But many, like mine, have the stove stored under the passenger seat. When the stove is needed, the passenger seat tips forward, revealing a steel cubby in the seat back, and a fold down aluminum tray to serve as a heat shield? Things get a little less clear for me here, as my stove is missing.

The tops are pretty familiar to folks in the US. The 8 foot headroom is nice!

So there you have it. This is my first post, and what better way than to dig up a thread more than a month old... I live in Seattle (Ranier Beach) and I also have a '68 Crewcab that is so rusty, the body is more apparition than real. Sad

Just found a few old pictures of my old 1871 Dormie that I sold a few years ago. The full Dormobile is completely different from the Westy SO-42 with the Dormie top.
The full dormie has the opening about 15? inches further forward and the Dormobile top is hinged the opposite way.
Here's my Samba ad which was deleted but might still come up for the pictures reference.
Might take a few days to add other pics.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1528977
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobiles Reply with quote

There is a Dormobile owners' club, but it's not exclusively for VW Type 2 conversions; there being Land Rover Dormobile motor-caravans as well, plus possibly some others.

https://www.dormobile.org.uk

https://www.dormobile.org.uk/index.php/dormobile-models/

https://www.dormobile.org.uk/index.php/dormobile-models/volkswagen/

There is also a British VW Type 2 website which feature details of various motor-caravan conversions, but I cannot remember what it is called. Embarassed

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: dormobiles Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Just found a few old pictures of my old 1871 Dormie

1871 Dormie?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: dormobiles Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Just found a few old pictures of my old 1871 Dormie

1871 Dormie?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy

This might be the funniest thing I've seen on thesamba! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: