Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saw this posted in VW Vortex - 1946 VW bug What is it worth?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Saw this posted in VW Vortex - 1946 VW bug What is it worth? Reply with quote

Not mine...

Click on the link for pics... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1518289
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. Shocked i'd take it. that would be one sweet car.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that looks pretty cool. Restoring that car has to be the biggest pain in the ass, though.

not really sure how much it should go for in that shape... but being that it's a 1946 makes it extremely rare... how about A LOT of money? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bryan S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words, God Damn!
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...right here in Denver too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BluSpecs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that posted it hasn't really posted on the thread answering any questions about it.

I'd love to just see it in person.

It sure would be nice if he brought it out to the Bug-in this weekend.... of course he may not because it's expensive as hell!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aggro_jo
Samba Sticker Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by aggro_jo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

WOW - that's about all I can say. I'll never own a Split window bug...that I can accept. I'd love to just see this bug in person. That is awesome.
Fowvay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this thread and threads like it just make me feel dumber and dumber and dumber.

Last summer I got snaked on a 46. Local car that showed up to the cruise ins all the time with its original owner (brought it over after WWII). I have to admit that I never realized that 46 was particulary rare...sort of assumed that it wasnt that big of a deal since I saw this one at least 4 or 5 times a year.

Anyway he showed up with a For Sale sign one weekend and I was mucho interested in it since it was all original and had a total of 54,000km on the clock. The paint was dull and faded with primer showing thru some of the edges and the interior was a bit worn but no rips or tears. I had a former freind come up that is an expert on Air Cooleds and he did the inspection.

The guy was asking Best Offer and I sincerly offered him $9000 thinking that was a fair price and he had accepted my offer with a hand shake but with the condition that I could get it inspected first....never should of had my FORMER freind look at it because he offered him $25,000 on the spot.

Gee no wonder he was so eager to drive 12 hours just to check out a car Rolling Eyes

He did allow me to match the offer though but I thought that was just insane money for any Volkswagen....sigh I was soooooooooooooo wrong Embarassed

Tom aka Fowvay

PS ...and you wonder why he is a former freind?....arrggghhhh Evil or Very Mad

PPS... It has however accomplished one good thing. I have spent pretty much every day of the last year researching Air Cooleds and now have a pretty darn good working knowledge of them...or at least a whole lot better then I did last year. Very Happy
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aggro_jo wrote:
even if I could afford asking price (probably 10 to 20), I would never have the additional 30+ it would take to restore. I hope some hitter steps up and buys that thing so we can follow the build

You are talking way over $50k to restore a KDF car correctly. Taillights go for thousands of dollars IF you can find them. I hope the right person steps up to the plate. If the car isn't complete (even thought he says it is), you are talking monster $$$ just to get it correct. Restoring a KDF car is a whole level above anything else in this hobby, just based on on the lack of information alone.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but wouldn't it just be fun to try?
aggro_jo
Samba Sticker Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by aggro_jo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aggro_jo wrote:
2Splitwindows wrote:
aggro_jo wrote:
even if I could afford asking price (probably 10 to 20), I would never have the additional 30+ it would take to restore. I hope some hitter steps up and buys that thing so we can follow the build

You are talking way over $50k to restore a KDF car correctly. Taillights go for thousands of dollars IF you can find them. I hope the right person steps up to the plate. If the car isn't complete (even thought he says it is), you are talking monster $$$ just to get it correct. Restoring a KDF car is a whole level above anything else in this hobby, just based on on the lack of information alone.

right on. figured it was better to shoot low than to blow it out of proportion. Thanks for the clarification (lesson). Kevin, out of curiosity, how many KDF cars would you say are in the states right now. If you had to guess?

Excluding Schwimmers and Kubels, probably less than 20.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... '46 ain't KDF, the Brits were controlling production by then.

-jeffrey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mscullion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to own a piece of early history like that. Salivate . I looked around on strictlyvintage.com. man they make it look easy.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
Hmmm... '46 ain't KDF, the Brits were controlling production by then.

-jeffrey

Concept is the same Chief. Anything with Cogwheels on the parts are hard as hell to restore.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a long story but interesting. I just did a job building custom garage doors for this guys new storage barn. It used to house horses. Anyway, when I bid the job there was nothing in there, but when I came back to install every space had a car in it, mostly porsche speedsters, ford 3 window coupes, mini's, this guy had it all. So I get to talking to him telling him I dream of having a collection like that someday but that I'm into bugs. His eyes light up and he says "that's how I got started! My previous collection was all bugs. I had every split window ever made in one collection". Yes, that's right. Every single one. He showed me some pictures and it sure seems like he had them all and all in show quality. He used to have to travel to europe to scour for parts, and this was 20 years ago when they were probably easier to come by. Anyway, he sold his entire collection all at one time and bought other cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: