Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1914 Build/ Need some opions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: 1914 Build/ Need some opions Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions : 1.Do you check the CC of each side of the head, if the cc's are different would you run a different shim to get the cr the same on each side?

2.What is the highest cr you can run on pump gas?

3.Is 9.5 cr to much for a motor that will be driven as semi daily driver that will go to the strip occasionaly

4.When you have chromoly pushrods do you set them up just like regular ones?

I bought nothing but quality parts and I want this motor to be built as close to perfect as possible, so im in no hurry to build it. I've read of people mocking up the motor without any sealants, is that just to check it for clearance? The set up for my 1914 motor is:
69 DPR crank
94 cylinders and pistons
web 110 284º 256º 0,435" 11,05 108º/ web lifters
straight cut steel/steel gears
Scat 1.25 ratio rockers/ chromolly pushrods
040 heads with 35x32 /50.6cc, dual springs, 3 angle valve job, manley valves, dual springs
12.5 flywheel
stock rods
kennedy stage 2 pressure plate, daiken heavy duty disc
As for the carbs I have the 46IDK Kadron kit and a set of 40 Dellortos I will try them both but do need jetting recommendations for the Dellortos
everything has been balanced

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanLarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914 Build/ Need some opions Reply with quote

Quote:
1.Do you check the CC of each side of the head, if the cc's are different would you run a different shim to get the cr the same on each side?

If they don't match, you need to have them machined to match

Quote:
2.What is the highest cr you can run on pump gas?

That's a big debate.

Quote:
3.Is 9.5 cr to much for a motor that will be driven as semi daily driver that will go to the strip occasionaly

9.5 might be ok with that cam. I've run 9:1 with an Engle 110 and 1.25 rockers with no problems on 93 octane.

Quote:
4.When you have chromoly pushrods do you set them up just like regular ones?

Set chromoly's at 0, just enough to still rotate the pushrods by hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: 1915cc build up Reply with quote

HI Fellows,

Hi Dan, How is the new engine build going?

The head choice is too small. Go bigger like 40mm x 35.5mm...at least. The 1915cc is pretty big.

The barrels are all the same. If the case is decked flat also, what would it do if you shim one of the barrels? Do you think you will have the head sit flat also? No sir.

Dan is right. You get the head chamber matched. Do not shim anything unless you shim them all the same.

If you were closer to Va, I can help out a little. Smile Then again, I see machine work from California too.

Good luck. NSR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: 1914 Reply with quote

in a answer to the cr qusetion 8.7 on pump gas for a air cooled is as high as i would go. I have a 1914 that is at 8.75 :1 and it screams I also run 104oct in it.
a_67vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914 Reply with quote

Eric21 wrote:
in a answer to the cr qusetion 8.7 on pump gas for a air cooled is as high as i would go. I have a 1914 that is at 8.75 :1 and it screams I also run 104oct in it.

It's completely dependant on the cam because different cams bleed different amounts of compression.
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about the cr i want to run, and I'm going to go somewhere between 8.7 -9.1 range. I think I will be happy with it

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
philip1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wot u goin on bout eric? ive gt a m8 who runs a oval frm da monte carlo with a 1914, runnin bout 9.5 compression, 1.1 or 1.25 rockers, ported heads and i thnk a 120 cam! and its fine, but his doin mor head work, and a bigger cam

im 17 and buildin a 2007, h beam rods, fk10 cam, 1.4 rockers, 40x37.5 heads fully polishd ported, an 44's, and a 9.5 cr, then in feb/march goin for round port 42x37 with bit mor porting, still gna b daily driver, and mor than enuf go for killing da boy racers.

if the cars goin like mine, go for bout 8.7 - 9cr max

good luck tho
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kekonaiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914 Build/ Need some opions Reply with quote

[quote="auslander"]I have a couple of questions : 1.Do you check the CC of each side of the head, if the cc's are different would you run a different shim to get the cr the same on each side?

One thing to consider is the elevation you are at. What every you set the comp at California won't be the same in Colorado...It changes from sea level to mountain top...

Your heads should all match. Check them all unless you totally trust your machinist.

I ran 9.1 with 92 octane in a 1835cc that ran 13.6 in the 1/4 mile. But the octane and compression thing has be a debate for years.. Everyone has there own theory..
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first hipo motor that im building and have visualized the assembly, i know the heads were machined right but wasn't sure if i should check them myself, and wasn't sure if i should check each of the cylinders and pistons for the deck height to see if they were all the same, I think the highest i would go with the cam would be 9.1 compression.

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
kekonaiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auslander wrote:
This is the first hipo motor that im building and have visualized the assembly, i know the heads were machined right but wasn't sure if i should check them myself, and wasn't sure if i should check each of the cylinders and pistons for the deck height to see if they were all the same, I think the highest i would go with the cam would be 9.1 compression.

I wouldn't push it more then that either. Now days the gas is not as good as it was back 20 years ago. If you are sure then go ahead BUT!!!! It only take a few minutes to CC the heads, time well spent..
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heads are good, they were done by AJ Simms, and he recommended that I go with 9.1 compression and set the heads up to run it, then I got the 46 kit and he said that I could go as far as to run 9.5:1 compression. But i would rather be cautious then have a blown up motor and my money down the toilet. What problems do you see with my combo, and what suggestions do you have, let me know, thanks

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: