Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Before I send off the tranny and start putting together a motor, I need to know what flywheel to use; the truck is a 65, BUT is factory 12v. So is the bellhousing already the right size, or did it have one of the weird flywheels that were 6v size but 12v teeth?

I do not have a spare flywheel lying around to slap in it and see, so I'm hoping these pics give some clues - I see an area at right that looks machined, and they broke through into the bolt thread, but don't know if that's enough to fit a 12v flywheel. Where do i measure for front-to-back clearance?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Usable tranny cores are getting harder to find.

6 volt flywheels are super hard to find and/or expensive.

So it doesn’t really matter what it WAS. What it WILL BE is a 12 volt. Which kind of sounds like a Chinese proverb
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Ha - true! I briefly thought of keeping everything stock, but that seems difficult if it had some rare crank/FW combo. l am just hoping it's an expense I don't have to incur if already done.

Any issues with the starter opening? Slap a self-supporting one in and be happy?
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

yes on the auto starter, they have a bit more torque anyways.

looks like someone already ground it from 6v to 12v to me, as it's so thin in the bottom right stud area. Kinda excessive
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

12 volt bellhousing.

6 volt bellhousing

But...
70bus wrote:
...the truck is a 65, BUT is factory 12v. So is the bellhousing already the right size, or did it have one of the weird flywheels that were 6v size but 12v teeth?

12 volt flywheels weren't invented yet so it was 6 volt size with 6 volt teeth but 12 volt starter with 6 volt gear.

Last edited by BarryL on Sun May 14, 2023 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

There are flywheels that have a 200mm clutch, but have the 6V ring gear.

You can also put a 6V ring gear onto any 12V flywheel, or at least your machinist can. You can get a 12V starter that has a 6V gear on it. It is a bit of work and expense, but by doing that, you don't have to grind out the bell housing.

All that said, your bell housing has already been ground out for a 12V flywheel.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Thanks - with the exception of a flywheel, it sounds like I have what I need. And now I know what FW to get!
-Robert Williams
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

6 volt starter works great on 12 volt if one replaces the starter solenoid with 12 volt version. Using 6 volt solenoid on 12 volts system tends to bash the FW teeth.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

I had a 6v starter (SR11x) and also a 12v SR17x; since the bell appears to be clearanced I'm going to go w/ 12v FW/crank and the SR17x... Maybe I'll slap a 12v solenoid on the 11 as a backup.
-Robert Williams
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
I had a 6v starter (SR11x) and also a 12v SR17x; since the bell appears to be clearanced I'm going to go w/ 12v FW/crank and the SR17x... Maybe I'll slap a 12v solenoid on the 11 as a backup.

6 & 12 volt starters and flywheels have different gears. So mixing 6 to 12 volt gears will result in damage.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Well, that was a fun 4 hours.

Since the junkyard swiped my motor before the tow truck showed up, I have no idea what they had on it… but it must not have been a 12v flywheel.

So close, but clearly not hogged out enough. One guesses the truck came with a 6v fw with 12v teeth on it. Parts manual indicates starter and solenoid were 12v. I can either hog out ( and maybe screw up bellhousing ) or look for proper fw, and give up on idea of driving it this week. :)

I’m just really puzzled how this wasn’t caught earlier; the yard said they finally junked the bus - parts runner- when employee “burned up 3rd motor in a row.” Maybe they carefully pulled fw and put it on new motor each time but when you have dozens of engines lying around surely the pull is there to simply toss one in regardless of niceties. Maybe the yard meant starter when they mentioned burned motors…

4 hour comment comes from length of time it took to get fw pulled out from bell housing it was in good.
-Robert Williams
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Just install the engine and as you move it into the bell housing turn the crankshaft by hand to have the FW gear teeth cut out the needed material. To make this easier, remove the spark plugs or at least loosen them up, so you do not have to fight the compression.

Do beware the resulting metal dust is mostly magnesium and such is highly flammable. So any hand tools used in there if they make a spark, say if you hit a steel fastener it can get exciting!!
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

I was doing that a little at the start; it got better up to the end and then locked so tight into the metal I couldn't separate them for some time - you can see that in one pic where a tooth made a horizontal line going in,but vertical ones coming out as I rocked motor from side to side.

It doesn't look too bad, and handturning the motor to shave sounds less dangerous than grinding magnesium! Even my local shop told me this morning of a customer who set himself ablaze that way ("remove trans mount and starter and get all steel out of area or go up like my customer" was the advice).

It was just frustrating because this was supposedly done before, and I was going to actually drive it yesterday. Sorta par for this truck.
-Robert Williams
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

What's interesting are the marks at 10 and 2; those are deep, yet the marks closest to face indicate other flywheels might have spun if they had even the slightest variance in manufacturing tolerances.

The bosses at 8 and 4 are ground out enough to have a hole through to stud so no clue why the top ones weren't touched.

Anyways, back to gruntwork in the garage instead of flying down the road...
-Robert Williams
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Took a round file and then a flat file to bosses at 10 and 2; slapped motor in and slowly inched it forward while endlessly turning pulley withmy crescent wrench one-half revolution at a time. My repro Hazet Assistent stool was very handy for this 3-hour toil. I got it to where it turns freely but still makes a slight scrape in one or two small spots; I'm pretty confident the starter and first 10 seconds of fireup will not be impeded by it as they hone trans. I will doublecheck it spins freely before I start it up tho. I'll have to take motor out before use again, as won't want those shavings suck in there.

I am going with tolerance stack/manufacturing differences, as the trans was clearly clearanced before - marks under the paint show where. And it obviously isn't a huge difference, apart from the bosses.

Made VERY sure nothing was hitting those mount bolts.
-Robert Williams
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

70bus wrote:

FWIW that tranny case was cast on April 27th, 1965, 3rd shift.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bellhousing - telling a 6v from a 12v Reply with quote

Quote:

FWIW that tranny case was cast on April 27th, 1965, 3rd shift.

Ha - thanks; more proof the truck was made May 5 -11 despite the mcode having a 4 stamped on it.
-Robert Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: