Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus front beam bushings.......
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DasKroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Bus front beam bushings....... Reply with quote

So I'm almost done with my beam on my 64 SC and while installing my last trailing arm my micarta bushing fell apart. Does anyone have bushings available right now for this beam? Everything I've seen is OUT OF STOCK. I want to change to bushings and drop the micarta. Thanks
DasKroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to keep it at the top. I need some bushings HELP
mactraveler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try Nate? http://www.wagenswest.com/parts.html
ekimikem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it.

These are one option, not sure if they require reaming.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=576770

I had a similar experience but was able to find another beam for less than the cost of the bushing alone not to mention the reamer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call http://www.sacoperformance.com/ ask for Ed. He just made me some new Delrin bushings that fit beautiful . I sent him some originals to copy and they made me 2 sets to use. If you want to do like original you can cut the bushings to shorter sizes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
Call http://www.sacoperformance.com/ ask for Ed. He just made me some new Delrin bushings that fit beautiful . I sent him some originals to copy and they made me 2 sets to use. If you want to do like original you can cut the bushings to shorter sizes

early or late beam?
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those bushings will work on both beams
for the late one you just need to remove the collar from the trailing arms

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its interesting to see this application for Delrin

I have access also to Tufnol and Torlon engineering plastic materials to machine....anybody knows what was used in the original bushings?

cheers
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's NOS ones...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=916668

The original ones were made of Pertinax. They may have other names for it as well. It was a common machinable substance. My neighbor was a machinest next door and he still has a few blocks of it. You can put it on the lathe. Looks like cloth fibres and bakelite, who knows what was in it..

I'm restoring an old BMW motorcycle (50's) and they used the same bushing material for the plunger frame suspension.
DasKroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ronnie I called Ed and he will make me a set for the price you stated. Thanks much. If anyone has ever dealt with Ronnie at Bustoration he is a stand up guy and willing to talk to you about parts and ect. This is not the first time you have helped me with parts. Thank you. I am in Kingman now but you would unfortunately have to see me all the time if I still lived in Havasu. Hope to have the SC back on the road by the end of next week.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the Delrin bushings setting you back if you don't mind posting? If you do mind, please PM me the quote.

Thanks, NAES
SBS #00
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staceyz wrote:
Here's NOS ones...

The original ones were made of Pertinax. They may have other names for it as well. It was a common machinable substance. My neighbor was a machinest next door and he still has a few blocks of it. You can put it on the lathe. Looks like cloth fibres and bakelite, who knows what was in it..

I'm restoring an old BMW motorcycle (50's) and they used the same bushing material for the plunger frame suspension.

late trailing arms will not fit in these even if you cut the collars off, I have tried it with the repro's that cip1 sells.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
ekimikem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
staceyz wrote:
Here's NOS ones...

late trailing arms will not fit in these even if you cut the collars off, I have tried it with the repro's that cip1 sells.

From my understanding there is reaming involved after the bushings are installed to get a tight fit with the trailing arm. Similar to a center pin install.
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
repro's that cip1 sells.

That explains your problem Mike.

'58 Binz
'58 Beetle Ragtop
'65 Sundial
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staceyz wrote:

Good, thats the equivalent of Tufnol nowadays, I'll give it a try in the lathe.....
Earlybugs
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has any one else seen the bug pack bushings for busses now Rolling Eyes
i guess there going to be only $20 Shocked

http://www.bugpack.com/whatsnew.php
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
staceyz wrote:
Here's NOS ones...

the breens bushings do(i have a early beam with late trailing arms in my bus)
i was assuming these are the same i have never try the cip1 ones

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
my65vert wrote:
staceyz wrote:
Here's NOS ones...

the breens bushings do(i have a early beam with late trailing arms in my bus)
i was assuming these are the same i have never try the cip1 ones

i know the breens bushings fit, the micarta stock early replacement ones are the ones I am talking about.

I had to ream out the ID of them to get a late arm into them. CB performance uses them on there narrowed beams also. much less expensive route, breens are 100 a set, the micarta's are only $48.
LatheLizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus front beam bushings....... Reply with quote

So I can order the red bushings and if trailing arm is a late model it won’t fit correct? 20yr lathe machinist so I’ll make them fit or am I just ordering the wrong bushing in the first place? Easier to make the entire thing honestly if I understood a bit more how it’s supposed to fit together….King pin aftermarket beam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: