Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

So I’ve owned two 66 buses that were easily steerable at 65 mph and prior to repairs 55 mph with ease
The 66 model year came with a sway bar

I now have a 59 build bus that can’t be steered with confidence over 50 mph it seemed to be happy at 45?? Now anything can be fixed but what am I missing do I need that sway bar throwing money at things doesn’t fix it so need some help
Is it the steering box? I can take the play out of it to zero so not sure
I have standard new shocks not the kyb gas adjust brand that I normally get

Quite frankly I’ve never been scared driving a bus and I’ve been driving them for over thirty years now

The bus
59 panel 1600 sp 64 big nut trans

What’s been done so far
New drag link
New tie rods
Steering dampener
New shocks
Link pins adjusted
No up down play in the centre pin lever thingy that’s on the beam (yeah I forgot what its called)
8 ply bus tires
No slop no play
I’m working on adjusting the steering box for the 10 th time but with zero play however the box is tight and hard to turn so will have to back it up a little and introduce some play

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

The anti-sway bar mostly helps in cornering, although it also helps reduce the inherit oversteer in crosswinds that buses have. If you are experiencing instability at speed, then something else is wrong.

The adjustment screw on the steering box is almost always not needed, and usually will just trash on your steering box by over-tightening it.

Are your wheels straight and properly balanced? Jack the bus up and spin the front wheel by hand.

Is there excessive play at the steering wheel?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Yeah I think something is off but I’ve just run out of ideas and things to replace that are worn out hence the sway bar inquiry…. I’m jacking the front end up now to take the stress off the steering box from turning it to zero play and will report back

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Check toe in one more time.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Ok with the wheels of the ground reset the steering box back 1/4 turn just so there’s a bit of drag at centre pulled all the grease fittings cleaned and checked them the one on the swing lever? was plugged and not taking grease so I did all of them… beam fully greased steering checked I got one inch play with the bus on the ground just like my 78 bus

Wheels are straight steering wheel is straight wheels have been balanced however I did note a flat spot from sitting all winter (smoothed out after the tires warmed up)

I don’t t have the Bentley handy it still hasn’t returned from lending it out so unfortunately I don’t have the toe in measurements if you got yours handy that would be awesome!

Test drive hands off at 40 no problem on a smooth surface 50 is doable and with some more time in it 55 could be a possibility but after that it in a crosswind it’s too unpredictable
On the country roads which are basically paved gravel very uneven I get bump steer and life is easy at 45 after that it’s a work out

Brake lights are stuck on and the starter bushing failed …crank starting sucks ah it never ends

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Page 158, section 15 of the other type 2 manual on thesamba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2...manual.pdf

That and a lot more thru the "Technical" button at top right of thesamba webpages.

Personally prefer to measure on the rims for more precise measurement than trying to get same reading off the tires themselves.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Thank you! Looks like I got some measuring to do!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

What about the rubber spring plate doughnuts? I think those often get overlooked and deform over time affecting the rear toe.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Pickup your Muir book and turn to shimmies and shakes
Have a friend Wiggle the steering wheel while you are under the bus and look for play.
Do the other diagnostics as well

Sloppy tie rods etc add up

You may have more than one worn part

My 56 had a quarter turn of the steering wheels of slop when we got it

Old crappy tires also are a thing. Crack?
Also, How’s the tire pressure?
Bump steer sounds like a worn dampner.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Pickup your Muir book and turn to shimmies and shakes
Have a friend Wiggle the steering wheel while you are under the bus and look for play.
Do the other diagnostics as well

Sloppy tie rods etc add up

You may have more than one worn part

My 56 had a quarter turn of the steering wheels of slop when we got it

Old crappy tires also are a thing. Crack?
Also, How’s the tire pressure?
Bump steer sounds like a worn dampner.

Tires a new same with drag link tie rods steering dampener I’ve got the box set up now
30 psi up front
40 psi rear
I just did the muir book checklist looks like I got my camber set up messed up I will need to get shims
I do not have the gauge they are referring to in the archive book to set toe in up somewhere there’s a string method but I can’t remember where I seen that so what’s the measurement between the front wheels supposed to be set at

This is a first for me never had one this bad learning as I go thanks for your patience

Mini R53 bob the tomato
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Also check the play at the output shaft on the steering gear
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

You can check toe in with a tape measure. Measure the tread width at the front, compare to the rear. 1/16 to 1/8 inch is good
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

String/rope stretches, which is why land surveyors used metal chains as far back as the 1700s.

Better to use two pieces of thin wood like 1" by 1", or even bamboo and a pencil to mark the wood.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Also check the play at the output shaft on the steering gear

Good idea, also the pitman arm is tight to the shaft. Had one found loose, needed a non-stock shim added to press the arm tight to the shaft taper.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

I find the new steering dampners too stiff and don’t allow the steering to return to centre easily. I don’t run them on any of my VWs.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

I'm grateful to be lucky enough to have bought the VW dealership tool for checking/adjusting toe-out/toe-in decades ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But before scoring that cool tool, I used two wooden yard sticks sliding against each other. Didn't the Muir "Idiot Book" show how to use a pair of yardsticks to adjust/set toe-in?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Park on a flat surface.

Put a piece of duct tape on the rear face of each front tire

Make a dot on the tape.

Measure the distance between the dots.

Roll the bus forward so the dots are now in the front.

Measure between the dots again.

This will show toe in or toe out. Adjust as necessary.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

What are the chains for?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:

I just did the muir book checklist looks like I got my camber set up messed up I will need to get shims
I do not have the gauge they are referring to in the archive book to set toe in up somewhere there’s a string method but I can’t remember where I seen that so what’s the measurement between the front wheels supposed to be set at

This is a first for me never had one this bad learning as I go thanks for your patience

Toe in is 1/8”.
I use a pair of yard sticks to measure this. I measure at the edge of the rim, not the tire

(Btw, there are step by step directions in Muir’s book)
Toe needs to be set if the tie rods were off or changed.

Did you have the knuckles off? When they are off, that’s when you check offset and put the shims in the right place.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues 59 vs 66 steering need some help Reply with quote

Thank you yes I have way too much toe in so will adjust that and report back dealing with a new master cylinder issue for the third time first before I can drive it again
Bullibill that’s a really neat tool by the way!!

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: