Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil filters?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Oil filters? Reply with quote

Pray, tell me about oil filters for my 73 thing. I added filters at the pump (the kind that have the filter horizontal) to all my Beetles. Will such an arrangement fit on a bone stock Thing engine (....skid plate????). Pardon my dumb, but what is "full flow"? How is it different/better than the aftermarket device mentioned earlier? I am no racer, nor off-roader....I ride my grandkids around and go to the mall. BUT I believe that filtering the oil (I use Castrol 20W50.....central South Carolina) is better than not filtering it ( I put very few miles on the car and rarely drive in winter because I am afraid of running the gas heater Laughing . Anybody got a thought about devices and where to get them? Right here in the Deep South...Bill
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEt me start out by agreeing wiht you on the use of Castrol 20/50 oil. It is by far my oil of choice for all my internal combustion motors

The oil pump/integral oil filter unit you have mentioned is a suitable addition to your engine. Here is a link to CB Perfromance who sell the unit.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=196

If you choose to go this way and are interested, I have 4 German Mahle filters for this unit that I have no use for and would be happy to trade os sell to someone who has use for them K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a comparable Fram (or other, widely available) filter that will work on CB Performance's Maxi Pump 2?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Kublewagon wrote:
Is there a comparable Fram (or other, widely available) filter that will work on CB Performance's Maxi Pump 2?

I have used the Maxi 2 on several occasions since 1980 it's a great pump.

IMHO ( and others) Fram filters suck... I used to use them, but one day I took the hacksaw to several different brands and.... well try it sometime yourself.

Generally any filter that says it's for the old VW rabbit/golf jetta will fit, but choose the brand wisely.

I like OEM type "MANN" and WIX...

here is an interesting read....

http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/Engine/oil_filter_vw
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the CBP Maxi2 unit fit a stock 1600 Thing? ie clear the skid plate? Which of the two models at CB is correct for the Thing? Is their filter a good choice? I run Castrol 20w50....deep winter temps rarely below freezing (wouldn't be driving the Thing then anyway) but summer temps mid to high 90's. Question
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't run that pump with skid plates...

and it will also interfere with the stock muffler...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I emailed CBP a couple days ago with same question...never heard a word. Thanks, I'll just stick with the stock set up....its worked for 50 years.
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but your oil isn't the same anymore as the oil they refind 50 years ago. Today's oil is designed to keep debris afloat in order to make use of modern filters. Oil back then kept the debris in your pan. Therfore VW added that wire mesh "filter" on the bottom of your oil pan. You had to replace the oil more often back "50" years ago. This flushed the slush out of the pan. Today's oil is not compatible with these old day filtering methods. Even Volkswagen added Maxi Pump 2 Style Pumps (30mm) gears to te last (latest) generation of bugs. I have a Maxi 2 Filterpump installed and it performs very well. I use Bosch Filters.

Well thats my 5 cents worth to this discussion.

Peace Dom Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are the purist wanting to be all stock with the thing muffler that exits out the bumper holes and all...
(in other words if you only running a regular "type 1 muffler" with the 2 shooter tubes)

I would switch to a header system and loose the skid plates ( going off roading are ya?) in favor of filtered oil.

But that's just me and what I would do, it's your ride, you decide!
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of these pump/filter combos, for one thing the passages are pretty small, and for the second, the close proximity of the filter to the exhaust can lead to higher oil temps. Better to do it right and put in a remote filter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: