Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts &
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'55oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

Bought a 55bug born June'55, there are no egg shaped taillights, have the snowflake pattern. I understand that they were 1 year only, '55. Can someone give me an idea why they don't appear to be the right ones, short of a switch from the previous owner
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 55 there were like 3 sets of lights you could have got, remember the 55 only, were US 55 only

So you could have got

Hearts, 55's, or the larger Oval style.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: inquiring minds what to know about egg taillights Reply with quote

'55oval wrote:
Bought a 55bug born June'55, there are no egg shaped taillights, have the snowflake pattern. I understand that they were 1 year only, '55. Can someone give me an idea why they don't appear to be the right ones, short of a switch from the previous owner

I've researched the hell out of this (I have an april 55 with eggs). These were discontinued in May 55 for the snowflakes. So if you have a US car, you should have snowflakes, non eggs, no semaphores and bullet fenders.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
'55oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: inquiring minds Reply with quote

Thanks fellows for the help. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get ripped by someone changing out the taillights considering the eggs go for a pretty penny.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2splits and YUSTRN beat me to it with the correct info. I have a July of '55 with bullets, full bumpers, ribbed doors/door and window winder handles, straight shifter handle, 100mm gas cap, heater knob behind the e-brake, smooth rear apron w/ single tip exhaust, BUT it came with the '56-'60 "snowflake" tail lights, and the 56-59 non-batwing steering wheel... I actually talked to a guy that was in the Wolfsburg assembly line during that time, and he said that the factory shut down earlier than normal that year to get ready for the '56 changes, and, as they ran out of parts, they took whatever they had, and that fit, and put them on the car to get it out of the factory.
If anyone is looking for a set of NOS "Egg" *HOUSINGS ONLY*, PM me, I think I still have a set, and I have a few NOS (either or) right or left side only ones, too....JUST the housings, NO lenses or brackets !!

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: 55 eggs Reply with quote

there was an ultramaroon 54 in a july of 96 hot vws issue that was made in late september that came with eggs, so they were put on late 54's too in the ovals only r. kimball book he states this also my 54 has eggs on it also
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 eggs Reply with quote

texasbrown54 wrote:
there was an ultramaroon 54 in a july of 96 hot vws issue that was made in late september that came with eggs, so they were put on late 54's too in the ovals only r. kimball book he states this also my 54 has eggs on it also

I remember that car. Its on the cover of that issue. 55bundt was gonna paint his 55 ultra maroon but thought it looked too pink.
I had a sahara beige late 55 like Dave's. Back then we called them "American 55's" with full overiders and bullets. I always said I would still install semaphores if I got another one but I think those are rarer than early semaphore 55's with bubble lense egg lights.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 eggs Reply with quote

SuperSkim wrote:
texasbrown54 wrote:

I remember that car. Its on the cover of that issue. 55bundt was gonna paint his 55 ultra maroon but thought it looked too pink.
I had a sahara beige late 55 like Dave's. Back then we called them "American 55's" with full overiders and bullets. I always said I would still install semaphores if I got another one but I think those are rarer than early semaphore 55's with bubble lense egg lights.

You could have the snowflakes, bullets and overriders as options in April of 55. That stuff became standard during May 55. So its probably pretty even. Most of the 55's I have seen have the snowflakes and bullets.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
coma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy This is what I love about bugs Very Happy No one answer is correct, or wrong!! It makes it so much more fun to own a car that varies so much. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim, my '55 was painted a color called Nile Beige, code L-370. They didn't use it for very long, it was superceded by Prairie Beige (L-378, I think) very quickly. The Nile Beige is a kinda "creamier" Beige, I gave the paint mixer fits trying to match the color...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '55 came with semaphores and US only '55 tail lights ?? I swapped the '55 only ones out for hearts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's 3, late 55's as we call them, running around here. I know 2 of them are US bumpers, no semaphores, snowflake tail lights, and 3 fold ragtops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldnslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my two cents in on this one. My '55 was built in March and came with towel bar bumpers, "eggs", no exaust cutouts, and semaphores. It was a three fold sunroof also.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldnslow wrote:
I'll throw my two cents in on this one. My '55 was built in March and came with towel bar bumpers, "eggs", no exaust cutouts, and semaphores. It was a three fold sunroof also.

Towel bumpers were factory options in March 55. The rest is typical for a March 55. All 55's were 3 folds.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2splits wrote:
Oldnslow wrote:

Towel bumpers were factory options in March 55. The rest is typical for a March 55. All 55's were 3 folds.

I wasn't saying 2 fold vs 3 fold. I was stating the fact that alll the ones local are sunroof cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse to you wrote:
2splits wrote:
Oldnslow wrote:

I wasn't saying 2 fold vs 3 fold. I was stating the fact that alll the ones local are sunroof cars.

I know. I was referring to Oldnslow.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Volksman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, someone was rubbing in that I should put hearts on my 55. But I like my snowflakes!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded my set of hearts for 55 american bubble lights.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksman66 wrote:
Today, someone was rubbing in that I should put hearts on my 55. But I like my snowflakes!

Unless the car is a non-US import, the car should have snowflakes or bubbles, never hearts.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2splits wrote:
Volksman66 wrote:

Unless the car is a non-US import, the car should have snowflakes or bubbles, never hearts.

I had to read that several times.
Couldn't you just say "European spec"??

Smile Smile
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse to you wrote:
2splits wrote:
Volksman66 wrote:

I had to read that several times.
Couldn't you just say "European spec"??

Smile Smile

I had to re read it over too. Sorta like you and Coad earlier and the stolen car thread.
Now, its my understanding that eggs were U.S. market ONLY. Is this correct?
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: