Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts &
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: IDK about that..... Reply with quote

farnhamassoc wrote:
Hey I have an all original restoration project going right now built Oct or nov 54....It has override holes in it. american spec with all original fenders but one rear. egg tail lights all original paint present (totally gone though) Even one of the headlights is original (black. with elaborate adjusters) Car was stored in the 80s

Dude I have been in VWs my whole life and I get schooled all the time. But IDK why or how on this one. All I can say Factory option? mandatory on 56 YM. but optional at some point in 54 IDK....the mysteries of VW....

I do have a question for you is mine considered 54 or 55 Technical says 54. But my Retired VW parts guy says 55 built Oct or Nov 54 cant remember. one of the 2...thinking Nov....

1 - Oct, Nov, Dec Beetles also have a very unique speedometer. Here's info on this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154204

2 - From Wolfsburg West:

WolfsburgWest wrote:
Here is a condensed breakdown of how to determine which taillight is correct for your car:

**All 1954-1955 European Beetles were outfited with "heart" taillights.

**All Oct'54 (chassis # 1-0722915) - Mar'55 U.S., Guam, and Canadian market cars used the red convex plastic lens taillights. All of these cars had semaphore directional indicators.

**April'55 - May 2, 1955 (chassis # 1-0871206) U.S., Guam, and Canadian market cars, there are two possibilities. Your car could have the red convex plastic lens taillights and semaphores, or it could have the optional flashing turn signal package with the larger glass taillights and "bullet" style front flashing directional indicators.

**May 3, 1955 (chassis # 1-0871207) - July'55 (chassis # 1-0929746) U.S., Guam, and Canadian market cars were equipped with the flashing indicator package as standard equipment. So, this car would have the larger glass taillights and "bullet" style front directional indicators.

3 - 1954 is a Year of Manufacture build, Jan - July 1955 is a 1955 YoM. As of Aug 1955, VW switched to Model Year, so those built Aug 1955 - July 1956 were 1956 Model Years.

splitjunkie wrote:
This has been posted elsewhere but it is the October '54 Consumer Reports showing a Beetle with RAM bumpers. Given the lead times required to get a magazine put together and when it would have actually been printed, these pictures could have been taken at least a month or two beforehand.

The car has semaphores and hearts.

Which would align with my early Oct '54 beetle having RAM protection as noted on the BC:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: TOWEL BAR BUMPERs RAM protection Reply with quote

El Guero wrote:
so i guess on my birth certificate vw is wrong by listing option #107 ram protection, Trayle do you know what that option #107 is then thanks for any help

The more I investigate the Ram protection bumper thing. the more I notice that Us cars were mostly send out with ram protection bumpers or towel bar bumpers. There are Photos dated 1954 with all the cars on the lot with those bumpers. They were crudely made unlike the later model ones. I also Have a friend that has a fully documented 54 with papers from the salesman when purchased. The car was mostly stored for its life and is all original. Everything in the car is original and only 1 repaint of strato silver because you know how that color goes. 3rd owner. and they are original on the car Not put on at the dealer. Sent from the factory with them.
Us mandated them in late 1955 according to documentation but Pictures and hard evidence has different info. 1955s are a mistery just saw a 3 fold on a late 55 with no semaphores.
06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: TOWEL BAR BUMPERs RAM protection Reply with quote

farnhamassoc wrote:
El Guero wrote:
so i guess on my birth certificate vw is wrong by listing option #107 ram protection, Trayle do you know what that option #107 is then thanks for any help

The more I investigate the Ram protection bumper thing. the more I notice that Us cars were mostly send out with ram protection bumpers or towel bar bumpers. There are Photos dated 1954 with all the cars on the lot with those bumpers. They were crudely made unlike the later model ones. I also Have a friend that has a fully documented 54 with papers from the salesman when purchased. The car was mostly stored for its life and is all original. Everything in the car is original and only 1 repaint of strato silver because you know how that color goes. 3rd owner. and they are original on the car Not put on at the dealer. Sent from the factory with them.
Us mandated them in late 1955 according to documentation but Pictures and hard evidence has different info. 1955s are a mistery just saw a 3 fold on a late 55 with no semaphores.

I would love to see the pictures that you mentioned.

My split had one of these monstrosities on it when I bought it and assumed it was some backyard hack.

But then TheLadyBug posted pictures of what came on her '54 which were very similar.

Do these look like they ones you have seen in pictures?

This is the entire October '54 article. There is one side photo that appears to show hearts with the the US spec towel rail bumpers.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/magazines...201954.pdf

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

I do not believe these are factory, but some type of aftermarket kit.

It probably would not be hard to find this kit advertised in period magazines.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
I do not believe these are factory, but some type of aftermarket kit.

It probably would not be hard to find this kit advertised in period magazines.

That is my belief as well but farnhamassoc said he has seen pictures of Beetles on a dealer lot with what sounds like these. Still doesn't necessarily mean they were factory, but it could mean that at least some dealers were installing them en masse on the early Beetles they were selling.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

So, are all of the Heart light lenses the same for '54-'55?
My car was a March '55 car with semaphores. Delivered to the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

If your car was originally delivered in the U.S. in March 55 it would have had egg taillights. all U.S. Guam, and Canadian delivered cars from Oct. 54 through April 55 had eggs if the car had Semaphores. April cars could be ordered without semaphores and came with snowflakes and bullets, and then all of them got snowflakes and bullets for the May through July 55's as semaphores were outlawed in North America.
All other market cars had hearts from the 1952 Zwitters through July of 55 and then changed to snowflakes and semaphores for the new Aug 55, 1956 models.
On your question, there were two different colors of heart lenses with most being the dark Red but some are an Orange or Amber red color. I haven't seen or read anything definitive for where they were used though.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

I believe above statement is his belief.
And
Not a statement of fact.

Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

My info is from Progressive Refinements in the Electrical section available to see in the Technical section on this site. combined with many cars that I have witnessed both in person and classified sales largely from this site. As with all vintage VW's there are no guarantees. The car might have been a European spec. car,brought over by a serviceman or tourist delivery or such. Otherwise unless the car is still original paint with matching tail light housing patina that would lead someone to believe otherwise, I would restore it with eggs to be a U.S.A. delivered March 55. Thomas, enlighten me if you have different credible information? Please, I am open to learning, and learn more about these incredible cars all of the time.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

This discussion has been discussed over and over again..and now it’s been parroted..for the Entith time…

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

As a data point:

My unrestored, original paint 66 year old model year 1955 Deluxe Oval Sunroof Beetle, produced in USA spec at Wolfsburg, Germany on June 22, 1955.

Ribbed doors, straight stick shift, 3-fold all four "square-cornered" sunroof,
straight apron, single-tip muffler, snowflake taillights, no semaphores, "bullet turn signals" on the front fenders, over-rider bumpers, "square" fuel tank, etc, etc.

Parked in front of the original main factory building at VWAG in Wolfsburg, Germany while on tour in 1999

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: