Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts &
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a *very* fine polishing coumpound and a polishing wheel. You'll be fine. Same as polishing out a horn button
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car was built in the 3 week of August...it's more a 56, than a 55...Thank the Dog, I don't have to find those 55egg tail lights, or any other short production parts....my car rag is similar to the 56, but not indentical. it also has a coupla other things that are not typical 56....

For sale or trade, if anybody is interested...I would like to fine a 59 Euro rag...

Thanks, Colin[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasbrown54 wrote:
so is anybody gonna clarify the option#107 ram protection on my august of 54 beetle i know 2splits said its overriders anyone else since Trayle said theres no way

its 107 RUM protection. at least thats what it says on the b/c for my 56.

as for what it means, i'm stumped. my car came w/ over-riders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bungle wrote:
texasbrown54 wrote:
so is anybody gonna clarify the option#107 ram protection on my august of 54 beetle i know 2splits said its overriders anyone else since Trayle said theres no way

its 107 RUM protection. at least thats what it says on the b/c for my 56.

as for what it means, i'm stumped. my car came w/ over-riders.

Mine says RAM protection

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
donsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: 55,56 Reply with quote

my oval is titlle 55 of april but it looks like a 56 just found it had ben sitting in az. its hole life some one stolled the tail lights so i put snowflake ones on don;t know if thats right or not? i have overriders no ribs seats rails are like 56,hardtop,bulit fenders
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks somebody *stolled your taillights.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
actorboy
Samba Bum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

Skim now you know this only supposebly happened. LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
horatiocaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: egg lenses Reply with quote

i put the egg lenses just cause i think they better in the heart shells. I hate the flat snowflake lens. f-ed my 1st set of hearts with convex plastic lenses back in '79
H
donsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actorboy wrote:
Skim wrote:

Skim now you know this only supposebly happened. LOL
ya supposebly they also toke the frunt seats , if anyone has a set let me know
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mid54-Sept54?
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: IDK about that..... Reply with quote

Hey I have an all original restoration project going right now built Oct or nov 54....It has override holes in it. american spec with all original fenders but one rear. egg tail lights all original paint present (totally gone though) Even one of the headlights is original (black. with elaborate adjusters) Car was stored in the 80s

Has uncut and clear Perfectly placed override holes in the original fender and apron along with other guys that have the same thing. many guys are commenting on the build that their 54 built cars had the same thing and say Ram protection bumpers on BC..... I heard from Rich kimball too that they all had euro spec...But I think something is wrong. This car is too complete and too perfectly placed. I know guys who have euro spec cars and they have the heart tail lights. But American spec I think had the override bumpers too. Yea you cant see the tail lights through the bumpers but there are too many out there to discount that someone put them in after.
My thoughts on this. Yes people in Europe wanted american bumpers. and yes they do cut stuff up. But here is the deal This car has never been in europe was purchased IN THE US. By previous owner in the 80s. Americans always want euro stuff. WHY would someone cut a PERFECT hole with original paint on it in America to put American bumpers on. I dont want to burst your bubble But Somewhere the information MUST be wrong. not the first time I called someone out...and ended up being right. And I am not saying I am right but there are a lot of discrepancies here.

On another note I am not an early oval expert. But I almost bought another early 55 oval Strato silver like mine. It was found inside a wall in AZ warehouse untouched for many many years. Egg tail lights and American spec bumpers. Early 55 but cant say what month. I dont think the front bumper had ever been off the car. rear had been hit and apron was changed to cutouts. But everything else was original.

Dude I have been in VWs my whole life and I get schooled all the time. But IDK why or how on this one. All I can say Factory option? mandatory on 56 YM. but optional at some point in 54 IDK....the mysteries of VW....

I do have a question for you is mine considered 54 or 55 Technical says 54. But my Retired VW parts guy says 55 built Oct or Nov 54 cant remember. one of the 2...thinking Nov....

Trayle D. the real oggfk wrote:
I just finished reading this thread and I must say there are either some serious misleading comments or some seriously mistyped posts. Lets just stop all the discussion here.

Here is the skinny on Eggshell(55 only) taillights.

In October of 1954, on beetles distined for the U.S. and North American market only, tail and brake lighting function were joined(meaning all rear veiwed lighting, turn signals included, thus 1955 beetles without semaphores). The cut-out in the lens housing(heart) was eliminated and all the rear lighting was done through the taillight lens. .

These new lenses, agian only for the U.S. and North American beetles , were made of dark red plastic and curved outward slightly. Priviouly, the rear facing lenses had been made of viloet red glass and were flat(heart taillights). The new taillights had a dual filament bulb and had a water drain hole at the bottom of the housing. The tail light lens was surrounded by a bright metal trim ring.

In may of 1955, more dramatic changges occured to the U.S. market rear lights. The tail light lenses were changed in size and appearance. The size of the lens was increaded so that it was taller, more oval(Snow flake, baby tail lights). This new lens was beveled at its edges, had a flat surface and was made of glass. The curved look was out. A single 6 volt two filament bulb was put in use. The dual filament bulb signalled stop and turns, since the semaphores had been discontinued on U.S. Beetles. Same as the above egg shell. Since that is the reason for the difference in Eggshells and hearts. The U.S. out lawed the semaphore. Other wise what was the purposed of the US market getting different taillights at all. Much like Bullets being added to US destoned busses.

In August of 1955, Beetles throughout the world recieved the newer style tail lights that were install on US market beetles in may of 1955. At the same time, the tail lights were moved up the rear fenders 60mm(2.4 inches). The tail lights had to be moved to be seen over the newer introduced overrider style bumpers install on US spec cars.

Ever noticed that a true 1955 US spec beetles taillights are hard to see behind the American style bumpers???

Listen 1955 beetles are a strainge bird. Ive seen cars with grooved doors no semaphores, batwing steering wheel, and bullets front turnsignals. Doesnt look like it makes any kind of sence. But one thing is for certain, if you have a 1955 beetle(meaning it has grooved doors, flat seat rails, and a heater knob BETWEEN THE SEATS) without semaphores, you should have EGG SHELL tail lights, unless it is an export beetle made between may of 1955 to August of 1955 then is should have the "snow flake" lights, that three months is where it gets tricky. But remember that April of 1955 was the start of production for the 1956 model cars. If you have a 1955 made before April with semaphores you should have heart period, there is no need to have a tail light with a dual filament bulb, what would be the point in that??? You cannot run flashing rear turnsignal and semaphores at the same time. Again that was the point in the different taillights added to the US spec cars.

Are you all confused yet????

texasbrown54 wrote:
my august of 54 has overrider holes in the front apron and it looks like its never been replaced also on the option codes it has #107 ram protection thats what they list on the birth certificate

Do you know what an anachronism is bro??? All my literature says that American style bumpers were introduced in LATE April of 1955 on US spec cars. Thats 8 months after the birth date of your car. It is my understanding that overrider style bumpers were very fashionable in Europe and were often added to cars after the purchase, and making overrider holes in a apron/fender would be very easy. I have a uni-bit that does do it with a quickness.

06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Mid54-Sept54?

AND AMERICAN BUMPERS.......I think someone is going to get schooled. As we all do from time to time. They must have started American bumpers in Aug of 54......Betting someone is a year off.
06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

I have a 1/7/55 with accessory ram protection on the car. It is also backed up by the birth certificate. I believe it was an option all the way to august 55 in the US.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

I just want to say that this is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen.

If only I had a time machine!!! Laughing Cool

RockStock wrote:

Mid54-Sept54?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

A lot of myths about '54-'55 VWs that were treated as "absolute truths" were perpetuated in the mass-market magazines from the 1970s-1990s (e.g., Euro bumpers, flat-top fuel pumps, fluted headlight lenses, "strap" air cleaners, "SHO" (Hans Strobel) semaphores, et cetera) that we now know are not necessarily true.

The problem we see today is that the boomers and Gen X'ers can now afford the cars they fantasized about in their teens and twenties. Every so often an unmolested survivor car gets pulled out of a garage or barn and the new owners set out to make it look "more original," fulfilling their newsstand fantasies from 30-40 years ago.

Last edited by janerick3 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
A lot of myths about '54-'55 VWs that were treated as "absolute truths" were perpetuated in the mass-market magazines from the 1970s-1990s (e.g., Euro bumpers, flat-top fuel pumps, fluted headlight lenses, "strap" air cleaners, "SHO" (Hans Strobel) semaphores, et cetera) that we now know are not necessarily true.

The problem we see today is that the boomers and Gen X'ers can now afford the cars they fantasized about in their teens and twenties. Every so often an unmolested survivor car gets pulled out of a garage or barn and the new owners set out to make it look "more original," fulfilling their fantasies from 30-40 years ago.

Yea with the internet there is way to much information to say specifically what day they did what. Picture are 1000 words. that picture of the 54s in the dealership was pretty conclusive that there were overrider bumpers in that era.
06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

I had a 54 convertible, a “USA Spec” car, that had factory over riders. The birth certificate said “RAM Protection”. I also owned a 58 single cab with over riders, not the blade bumpers. The single cab’s birth certificate showed “Crash Protection”. People would tell me the single cab had the wrong bumpers, then argue about it. However, the single cab’s over rider bumpers were slightly different from the later “standard” over rider bumpers. The folks who wanted to argue never noticed that.

On the ‘54 vert I thought the same thing as the OP. How can this be? These holes look factory! Then the certificate came.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

What was the build date , or better yer the serial # of your 58 SC ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: For inquiring minds. Bubble, egg taillights, 55 facts & Reply with quote

This has been posted elsewhere but it is the October '54 Consumer Reports showing a Beetle with RAM bumpers. Given the lead times required to get a magazine put together and when it would have actually been printed, these pictures could have been taken at least a month or two beforehand.

The car has semaphores and hearts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: 55 facts and oddities Reply with quote

Got another strange one to share. I have an original June 1955 wiring harness that does not seem to fit any mold of any wiring diagram I have found near that year. I am stripping the car down for a full resto and I have been studying which wiring harness to purchase.

Mine is a US spec with bullets but it has some extra wires run in the main harness front to back. A small red wire that comes from the fuse panel area, down to the engine compartment where it goes to a (cut off) pig tail, then back into the harness and down to the gang of 5 wiring connectors.

And an orange wire that starts near the speedo oil and gen lights, then all the way back to the gang connector.

I think it is kinda cool that these extra wires are here. Perhaps could be used for some accessory gauge or low draw aux power. Wondering if anyone else has notice these special extras in their rides. I made a modified diagram showing these wires too. Maybe a Police Special?? Razz

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: