Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motomazzo wrote:
Fowvay wrote:
germanpride wrote:
swing axle cars look badass when slammed

I'm not picking on you or anything but are you saying you actually like the acute angles created by slamming a swinger?

I personally much prefer the straight up and down of an IRS rear end for slamming as it gives a much better contact patch and doesnt make it look like the rear wheels are broken.

Tom aka Fowvay

Amen to that. Camber is a ridiculous look. To each his own, but I've always thought it looks like something is broken. Not to mention the litany of mechanical issues that go along with it. I saw a post the other day of a guy who made his own front end. Impressive work, but in the end, the front wheels had camber too! Dumbest look I've ever seen. The only thing worse than camber on the rear wheels is camber on the front too. Again, to each his own. It's not for me.

JAM

I agree, too low on a swing axle is not my taste on the rear. I like it when the negative camber is close to the stock angle of positive camber. If you drive any swing axle, there's always someone who thinks it's broken. When I drive my single cab at stock height, people think the same thing when the top of the tires point out. I had a low tire tire once and didn't notice, but several people behind me did. It just made the camber look more extreme. Very annoying explaining it sometimes, but oh well.

I would really dig IRS setups if only they weren't so damn wide! I hate when a lowered IRS car looks like the tire is constantly rubbing the rim. If someone could come up with a narrow setup that didn't require hacking the torsion, it would sell! If you wanna be low, short swing axle and narrowed front end is the only one that keeps the tires off the fenders. That's why it's still so popular.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

The spring plate is in the same spot.
If the tires hit the fender you need different wheel backspace, pull the tires in.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

All I know from this thread is that no one is listening to a. Band called EngineHead....
AngiePeanut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Hi, just joined this site. Heading to look at a 1970 bug tomorrow with a swing axle. I've owned a few bugs over the years but none with a swing axle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Angie
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

AngiePeanut wrote:
Hi, just joined this site. Heading to look at a 1970 bug tomorrow with a swing axle. I've owned a few bugs over the years but none with a swing axle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Angie

1970 came with IRS so this might be an interesting build.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
AngiePeanut wrote:
Thank you,
Angie

Seen a post for a 75 for sale that the owner claimed was a swing. I just assumed they used a swing tranny springs and plates. Is this possible?

Someone posted a video on facebook just yesterday of a swing that had been extreme lowered. I say if you have to look stupid to look "cool" Ill just stay stock.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
AngiePeanut wrote:
Thank you,
Angie

Yes, the US got IRS. I believe Canada still could get a swing axle in 1970.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Both terms (engine and motor) are from the old Latin.

When technology and law were at their maximum the official language was Latin.

When arts like science, philosophy, medical were at their maximum, the official language was old Greek.

So it is normal to find Latin-derived terms into technology and law, or Greek terms into science, medical, etc.

To be more specific:

ENGINE: from latin "Ingenium" that is the capability and the skill to make something of complex. Who has Ingenium should be able to build a ship, to make a motor, to build a bridge, to make a device.

MOTOR: from latin "Motu", "Movere", (=moving) + 'r', in English should be translated into "MOVER" meaning a stuff capable to generate a movement.

So from an ethymologic point of view VW engine is both an Engine (product of human Ingenium) and a Motor (its purpose is to move the car).
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

AngiePeanut wrote:
Thank you,
Angie

Is it this one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a 1970 Canadian Custom model that still features its original 1200 cc engine and swing-axle combination. This model was never available in the US.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
AngiePeanut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Yes that is the one, sorry I was away and just saw your post.

Got it running great but having wiring issues now. Can you recommend someone in Nanaimo that knows about wiring? Seems like the last person who owned it didn't know a lot and cut wires and left some bare. Bit of a nightmare now.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Did you buy it?
AngiePeanut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Yes I did

Any recommendations for wiring?
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle VS. IRS !! Beat this to death.. Reply with quote

Check you PM's for some local help with this if you are interested...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: