Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

timeing question, need help quick!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: timeing question, need help quick! Reply with quote

i'm going to the VW show in terrysville tomarrow and i need to know, my 74 has two timeing notches in teh wheel, one's on teh inside, one's on the outside, i'm now confused at which one i use. i know i need to time to 7.5 degrees BTDC and i don't which to use to line up to the case.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree pulley, but i read the Bentley manual and it doesn't' specify which mark.

I'll be at Terryville also.. stop by and say hello.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: timeing question, need help quick! Reply with quote

Terran wrote:
i'm going to the VW show in terrysville tomarrow and i need to know, my 74 has two timeing notches in teh wheel, one's on teh inside, one's on the outside, i'm now confused at which one i use. i know i need to time to 7.5 degrees BTDC and i don't which to use to line up to the case.

If the one on the outside is a rounded "divot" and not a notch that is TDC. the notch in the inside is the timing mark... but it could be in the wrong spot ( not a t 7.5 BTDC) there are several different pullies over the years adn you engine may have the pulley from another year model ( or not!) which confuses things. That is why degree wheels are so nice.

I pulled the text below off Aussiebug's site. Some good info he's got on there. To bad he seldom visits this forum anymore Confused

He was/ is a great guy to have around, very resourceful and helpful... kinda like Glenn and Ratwell and others who are on here now...

http://www.geocities.com/vwresource/mihov_index.html

Crankshaft Pulley

Wisdom of Rob Boardman

There are at least six different VW pulleys and four of them in common use -- and they all fit on every crankshaft!

Following are the four types of pulleys in common use on aircooled VWs -

The one-notch pulley is 5 degrees ADTC (that's AFTER) and is used with the double vacuum distributors 1971-1973.

The dimple and notch pulley has a small dimple on the rearmost (rear of car) rim which is TDC and a notch on the front (front of car) rim which is 7.5 degrees BTDC.

The two-notch pulley (only about 3mm apart) has no TDC mark but 7.5 degrees and 10 degrees BTDC notches.

The 3-notch pulley has TDC, and then 7.5 degrees and 10 degrees BTDC close together and to the right of TDC.

You have to find TDC for #1 cylinder, then look at the notches to confirm what you have.

Turn the pulley so the notches/dimple/whatever is roughly at the top. Remove #1 plug (right front cylinder) and place a long pencil in the hole (nothing metal please - the plug threads could get damaged) and feel for the top of the piston. Rock the engine back and forward until you find the highest point, and this will be over several degrees, so you want the "null" point in the middle.

Now look at the pulley. Dimple near the split in the crankcase? If so you have a dimple TDC and can check you have a notch to the right - that'll be 7.5 degrees BTDC.

One notch to the left? - then it's a 5-degree ATDC notch and you need to make a mark 11mm to the right for TDC or 18mm to the right for 7.5 degrees BTDC.

Both notches to the right? then it's a 7.5-degree and 10-degree BTDC pulley.

One notch about on the split and two to the right - then it's a TDC, 7.5-degree and 10-degree BTDC pulley.

Now you know what you've got, you can time it according to the distributor you have (009, single vacuum, double vacuum or SVDA) - see the tune-up procedures on our main web site - all distributor types are covered.

Incidentally, if you have a 009 distributor, it must be set at 28-32 degrees at 3000 rpm - you can't accurately set the 009 distributor to an idle setting - they vary too much (cheap build). 30 degrees is 46.5mm to the right of TDC - make a mark.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: